Pregnant Lab Girl Found!

t-time

which law is the same?

Like I said though, it sounded to me like the pound wanted nothing to do with them...? What would happen in that case...?

This is where lines must have gotten crossed (re: putting the dog down immediately). The pound has to accept the dog as a stray. They have to hold it for a set number of days.

re: Which laws are the same: the laws that dogs need to be handed in to the pound. Holding times vary from state to state.

I'm sure one of the rescue groups would know the exact laws depending on state and council. All I know is you have to hand dogs in.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they wouldn't get his breed correct, but im sure they'd get a description correct. Its not hard - just tell them what they see.

your kidding right? have you any idea how just changing the colours around on a dog can be confusing? I have a desexing certificate here for a white and fawn dog, colour the vets put down - tan and white, huge difference. They saw the dog, they operated on him, and still put the colour down wrong. I worked at a shelter and the people who rang up looking for a black and white dog when the dog was really white and black was huge. I quickly learnt to pin them down to the correct colour and description, cause when you're looking for a lost foxie X, for example, correct colour and description helps to find them.

I know the subject of the law you're talking about, but I haven't heard before (and it may be ignorance on my part, dont get me wrong) that you MUST hand dogs over to the pound. Thats why I wanna read it :confused:

What my main concern was actually not whether the dog went to the pound or not. My concern was that people were being victimized for trying to help, WITHOUT any mention (on their part) of breaking any laws. Whether or not it was said clearly enough is another matter entirely and things may have been misunderstood or communicated, but that does not change how it made me feel. It seemed to me that the thread went from looking for ways to help the dog to attacking people who were trying to help to the best of their ability. Then it went on a tangent to whether dogs should be/are allowed to be housed in places other than a pound, so long as the pound is aware of it. Anyway, if anyone knows the specific law regarding lost and found dogs, post it up :laugh:

I assume that your dogs are microchipped, so this problem would most likely not occur with you.

not all microchips are found.

Tell me about it. We went through several scanners and half an hour looking for a chip. It was there when the bitch was scanned for a DNA swab but not at a later date.

The assumption im making is based on observation. How can you argue that a RESPONSIBLE OWNER firstly not microchip their dog, and secondly allow to get pregnant at such a young age? I think those two points there are reason enough to assume that the owner is irresponsible.

I think some of the assumptions about this dogs owners are a bit unfair.

- Micro chipping is not compulsory in every state. AND only in Qld for abut 12mths or so. There are valid reasons for it not being microchipped.

- No one knows for sure how old exactly the dog is. The vet estimates it to be this age. The vet is only estimating. The dog could be 6-10months older than this quite easily. It just takes a smaller (or crossed) lab to put their guess out.

- Has none of you 'responsible' dog owners ever had a bitch on heat and despite your best efforts a dog gets to them? Well you are quite lucky. My girl once broke thru a door to get to a male on the other side when she was on heat.

- Dogs get out of yards. Someone may leave a gate open or not realise a dog is there when coming in or out. The wind can scare or blow open gates. Who knows? But you cant assume it is because the owner is irresponsible (it may be so, but WE dont know) it can happen to anyone.

You are assuming that the owner is not heart brokenly searching for their dog. How do you know how far this dog traveled? She may have gone several suburbs from home.

I agree with greymate that you can NOT make too many plans about the pups or this dog UNTIL the owner has been attempted to be found. YOU must follow the correct process in contacting council and pound. Sure you may have got crap info when you originally called, but TRY again. If it was your dog that was missing wouldnt you hope that who ever found her would look after her AND try to find you? AND not just assume you are not worthy.

As someone else has already advised in the thread (sorry can't remember who and don't want to read it all again) - In Qld the dog does NOT have to be handed in to the pound but as long as the various pounds, councils and shelters are advised the dog has been found, where it is being housed and contact details for the finder, the dog can be held at a private location. After 3 days the dog is deemed to be unclaimed and the finder may then register the dog as theirs or rehome it should they wish. The 3 days actually start from the day the dog is reported to the authorities, not the day the dog is found. I would suggest that BCC, Moreton, Redlands and RSPCA be advised and provided with photos. This way any owner in the greater Brisbane Metropolitan Area will be provided with the opportunity to locate her.

I agree there are issues with regard to incorrect identification of the dog if it is not in the pound to look at but if photos are supplied to the authorities then the owner will be able to check the websites and see if it is their dog.

My concern would be if this is an 8 month old Lab then she may well have complications during whelping as usually labs have large litters.

Maybe they wouldn't get his breed correct, but im sure they'd get a description correct. Its not hard - just tell them what they see.

your kidding right? have you any idea how just changing the colours around on a dog can be confusing? I have a desexing certificate here for a white and fawn dog, colour the vets put down - tan and white, huge difference. They saw the dog, they operated on him, and still put the colour down wrong. I worked at a shelter and the people who rang up looking for a black and white dog when the dog was really white and black was huge. I quickly learnt to pin them down to the correct colour and description, cause when you're looking for a lost foxie X, for example, correct colour and description helps to find them.

*Sigh* You're arguing with me about the difference between describing a dog as 'black and white' or 'white and black'... are you kidding me?! As soon as someone calls up going "Hey, I lost a black and white Fox Terrier cross, with a black dot on his head" would you not automatically go "Well, we dont have anything here by that description, but you're welcome to come and have a look. Also, we've had a call from someone from your area with a dog that sounds like it might match your description. Why don't you give them a call too"? The issue could then be that someone could call up, go to this persons house and take the dog whether it was theirs or not. Having said that, with a dog with no collar, no tags and no findable chip, this could happen anyway.

*Sigh* You're arguing with me about the difference between describing a dog as 'black and white' or 'white and black'... are you kidding me?! As soon as someone calls up going "Hey, I lost a black and white Fox Terrier cross, with a black dot on his head" would you not automatically go "Well, we dont have anything here by that description, but you're welcome to come and have a look. Also, we've had a call from someone from your area with a dog that sounds like it might match your description. Why don't you give them a call too"? The issue could then be that someone could call up, go to this persons house and take the dog whether it was theirs or not. Having said that, with a dog with no collar, no tags and no findable chip, this could happen anyway.

people are always advised to go to the pound to look for their dog and to not rely on the pound staff or the pounds description of the dog. same applies here, pound staff do get it wrong, the owner is less likely to get it wrong on sighting the dog

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

I wish you would all calm down and see that this dog future is at stake.

Does anyone know what has happened to this bitch or is going to happen to her.

It may be more beneficial to try and help the dog than argue about her.

people are always advised to go to the pound to look for their dog and to not rely on the pound staff or the pounds description of the dog. same applies here, pound staff do get it wrong, the owner is less likely to get it wrong on sighting the dog

I know that people get it wrong (and that cant be helped), but if people were advised about a dog that was being kept on another premises which matches or even slightly RESEMBLES what their dog looks like then you would think that the owner has the same opportunity to find their dog, even if they have to travel a little bit (they would probably have to travel less though because pounds are usually further away than where dogs are found).

I know that people get it wrong (and that cant be helped), but if people were advised about a dog that was being kept on another premises which matches or even slightly RESEMBLES what their dog looks like then you would think that the owner has the same opportunity to find their dog, even if they have to travel a little bit (they would probably have to travel less though because pounds are usually further away than where dogs are found).

so are you suggesting that the person holding the dogs have strangers come to their door to check whether the dog they are holding belongs to the strangers?

the pound is where most people know to go to to check for their dogs not someones back yard. and i thought that pound staff were really busy so how will they have the time to send people to the holders home?

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

of course I advised the owners to come and look to double check. You were the one that said it wasn't hard to get a description and I was saying it's not that easy at times. But I am just an irresponsible dog owner whose dogs don't wear collars so what would I know.

Chill pill! :D

No further info at this stage. Waitin g for my partner to come home to see if there's any more to the story today. :)

I would love to help this dog but I work full time, have 2 dogs-one a bossy bitch with other females and I have no idea of whelping.

I hope one of the good rescue groups can take her.

About all the discussion - Qld is quite different to other states regarding legislative requirements of lost dogs.........and it is possible the finders have done everything right. They were possibly given the correct procedures when they rang the council pound or RSPCA.

Personally I'd hate to see the pups born in a pound or the RSPCA.

There have been some lovely offers of help, so good on you.

so are you suggesting that the person holding the dogs have strangers come to their door to check whether the dog they are holding belongs to the strangers?

the pound is where most people know to go to to check for their dogs not someones back yard. and i thought that pound staff were really busy so how will they have the time to send people to the holders home?

Yes, thats what I'm suggesting. If they aren't prepared for that, then they aren't prepared to house the dog at their home instead of at the pound.

of course I advised the owners to come and look to double check. You were the one that said it wasn't hard to get a description and I was saying it's not that easy at times. But I am just an irresponsible dog owner whose dogs don't wear collars so what would I know.

I think that matching a dog EXACTLY to a description is impossible in most cases, even if two people were both looking at the same picture their descriptions would probably come out different. There would however be similarities. The similarities are where the search gets narrowed down until there is only at most a handful of possibilities.

Also, you can joke about being an irresponsible dog owner because you dont put collars on your dogs all you like, but if you ever lost one of your dogs, then those two together make you one (an irresponsible owner, not a dog). If you keep your dogs without a collar and they are 100% secure and never get out, then you are responsible, but if there is a CHANCE that they will (and everyone here seems to think that there is always a chance) and you DONT have a collar on your dog with the appropriate tags, then that makes you irresponsible. The same as you would be if you had an aggressive dog and walked it through a dog park without a muzzle on... With muzzle on aggressive dog = responsible owner, without muzzle on aggressive dog = irresponsible idiot :D

I bet this sparks a whole other series of arguments about whether or not people should put collars on their dogs *sigh*

About all the discussion - Qld is quite different to other states regarding legislative requirements of lost dogs.........and it is possible the finders have done everything right. They were possibly given the correct procedures when they rang the council pound or RSPCA.

While there is no legislative requirement to hand the dog over for impounding in QLD, there is a requirement to do this to obtain clear ownership of the dog. The dog should not be sent anywhere, or the pups given or sold to anyone until ownership is established.

Before you can say that the finders have done everything right, we would need to know which council area they are in, and what was said. Metropolitan council pounds refusing to impound strays is very unusual, and has wider ramifications for other people in the community, and we need to wait for T-Time to find out more about this.

Also, you can joke about being an irresponsible dog owner because you dont put collars on your dogs all you like, but if you ever lost one of your dogs, then those two together make you one (an irresponsible owner, not a dog). If you keep your dogs without a collar and they are 100% secure and never get out, then you are responsible, but if there is a CHANCE that they will (and everyone here seems to think that there is always a chance) and you DONT have a collar on your dog with the appropriate tags, then that makes you irresponsible. The same as you would be if you had an aggressive dog and walked it through a dog park without a muzzle on... With muzzle on aggressive dog = responsible owner, without muzzle on aggressive dog = irresponsible idiot :D

I bet this sparks a whole other series of arguments about whether or not people should put collars on their dogs *sigh*

I am happily and proudly an irresponsible dog owner. I think I will start a club for IDO's.

While there is no legislative requirement to hand the dog over for impounding in QLD, there is a requirement to do this to obtain clear ownership of the dog. The dog should not be sent anywhere, or the pups given or sold to anyone until ownership is established.

Before you can say that the finders have done everything right, we would need to know which council area they are in, and what was said. Metropolitan council pounds refusing to impound strays is very unusual, and has wider ramifications for other people in the community, and we need to wait for T-Time to find out more about this.

I just said that it was possible that the finders have done everything right.

There is NOT a requirement to physically put the dog in the pound to obtain clear ownership of the dog although I don't necessarily agree with this nor what follows if you do deliver a stray dog to say the Brisbane City Council.

I hope everything works out for this dog and that legal ownership is sorted.........if it isn't already!

I don't think the Brisbane City Council(nor other city councils) would refuse to impound the dog but they often do ask for the finder to hold the dog for them. I have done this on numerous occasions. I have also sent them photos of the dogs for them to put on their data base.

Yes we are all talking hypotheticals but that's pretty common with on line forums