L Sold A Dog I Owned For 3 1/2 Years

mortonplace

Hi all lm hopeing you can help me read between the lines here

To cut a long story short i sold a bitch i owned for 3 1/2 years to a pet home

l interveiwed sevral people and deicied the home i picked was the best possible home[how wrong i was]

Anyway approx a mth later i get a letter [reg post] from this person demanding i give her the replacement cost of the dog plus the cost of a vet fee accured whilst she was alive[as she needed a operation]lm keeping this story very short as not to give to much evidince away.

Anyway l demanded an aurtopsy[when rudely told by another person of the death] and finally got one[mth later] and its states.......the dog was found dead in the new owners backyard[this dog was sold as an indoor dog] :eek: and because of the condition of the body examination was limited???? :) then it states there was no abvious cause of death :thumbsup:

What do you think that means????lm very upset and confused as to waht to think :cheer::champagne:

l feel she may have died from fulid on her lungs if she was left outside[it was freezeing the mth she had her.

Plus there were another 2 dogs in her yard i wasnt told about.[this bitch was very smal weight 7 kgs and very fine coated]

And this bitch never slept a night outdoors.So please give me how you would read the aurtopsy results as i smell a rat.

Edited by mortonplace

How long after did she pass away after rehoming?

Give the vet a ring... the one that did the autospy, see if they can clear up anything?

Honestly in ths case i wouldn't if they didn't keep up their agreement...

Give the vet a ring... the one that did the autospy, see if they can clear up anything?

l rang the vet and they wont tell me anything without her permission

She wont give it either...To be honest im lucky i got the report it took a few reg letters to get it.

She died approx 1 mth after :)

Doesn't sounds like the person has any right to claim any money from you. Autopsy doesn't show a pre existing condition, therefore there is nothing that you can be held responsible for.

Very sad if this dog died to being kept in unsuitable conditions - however that was not your fault, and nothing can show that you are responsible for her death, thus no costs you should pay.

Tell the person to go away. Obviously they care more about the money than the dog, so thats the level of consideration you should return to them.

Edited by SilverHaze

Just wondering Mortonplace, was the SALE subject to them having the dog Vet checked within 7 days of purchase (as with the sale of puppies?) with an offer of return if found unhealthy? If the dog were ill or had a pre-existing condition they would have had the opportunity to have her checked out to ensure she was in good health.

Has anyone told you what the operation was for?

IMO I don't think you owe them anything and from what little information they are giving you it would be hard for them to prove otherwise, let them try.

Edited by LizT

I'm going to buck the trend and suggest you seek legal advice.

Whilst on the surface, you have nothing to worry about, the argument could be that there was a pre-existing condition that was not disclosed to the purchaser.

Do you have vet records showing that the dog has been seen by a vet at various times during your ownership and that it was healthy, vaccinated etc? If so, be sure you get these.

I would imagine that a letter from your own legal representation would be enough to convince the purchaser to provide full autopsy results. If only because it is then apparent that you don't mean to take the situation lightly.

At least, I would at have a lawyer write them a "please explain" requesting all relevant information so that you can seek full legal advice of your own. That may be enough to have them back off.

How distressing for you.

There is little you can or should do given the lack of information & access to vet treatment & info.

You have no idea what the operation was for, why it was done, the aftercare of the dog or any problems after the surgery.

The condition of the body when taken for the autopsy is also a question of some concern.

One would think that the person would be upfront & honest regarding all of the above so of course you smell a rat.

Anyone would. Do nothing & see what their next move is.

I am another one with Ellz, I would suggest you contact your kennel control and ask for a list of solicitors who are interested in dog cases. This helps as normal solicitors, ie OH are not really up on dog law etc.

Also a letter from a solicitor normally sorts the wheat from the chaff, ie those that are trying things on to see what they can get out of you!!!

She wont give it either...To be honest im lucky i got the report it took a few reg letters to get it.

She died approx 1 mth after ;)

If the information you present here is 100% correct then you have nothing to answer for. They nor the vet are forthcoming with any "in depth" information. The next step is theirs. Do nothing and say nothing to them. If they wish to take it further they will have to provide a hell of alot more evidence than what they are "selectively" telling you. Also seek some legal advice but do not tell the other dog owners this. This way you will be ready in case they take it further. At the moment they are using scare tactics.

She died approx 1 mth after ;)

If the information you present here is 100% correct then you have nothing to answer for. They nor the vet are forthcoming with any "in depth" information. The next step is theirs. Do nothing and say nothing to them. If they wish to take it further they will have to provide a hell of alot more evidence than what they are "selectively" telling you. Also seek some legal advice but do not tell the other dog owners this. This way you will be ready in case they take it further. At the moment they are using scare tactics.

I would agree with this. You have no information to suggest you are liable at all, until they can produce evidence of pre existing condition you cannot be held responsible for what caused "their" dogs death.

They either produce evidence of this or shut up.

From my understanding of this, the autopsy could not find a cause of death and the fact the owner won't give permission for the OP to discuss the findings with the vet I would not be giving anything back.

If the Autopsy could provide a cause of death and it can be shown as a pre-existing condition I would consider a refund, but I would still want to talk to the vet about it first.

But with this situation no cause of death= no refund, and no permission to discuss with the vet= no refund.

Its entirely likely that the dog died as a result of their own actions and why should you be responsible for that.

It seems to me they are more concerned with getting the money. A form of extortion in my opinion.

From my understanding of this, the autopsy could not find a cause of death and the fact the owner won't give permission for the OP to discuss the findings with the vet I would not be giving anything back.

If the Autopsy could provide a cause of death and it can be shown as a pre-existing condition I would consider a refund, but I would still want to talk to the vet about it first.

But with this situation no cause of death= no refund, and no permission to discuss with the vet= no refund.

Its entirely likely that the dog died as a result of their own actions and why should you be responsible for that.

It seems to me they are more concerned with getting the money. A form of extortion in my opinion.

+1 to everything that was said here.

If the info has provided no way to determined how or what the dog died from:

She cant prove that there was anything there at the time you sold the dog which would

have killed it any more than you can say it died from fluid on the lungs or anything else.

I dont think you need to see legal people.

You sold a dog that was healthy and happy - fit for the purpose it was sold and no one can prove other wise.

It died - thats sad. But no way has she any right to refund after a month of ownership. Could have been about a million things.