Does The Council Put Down Dogs Within A Few Days?

Outkast1972

Hello all

I caught up with an old friend the other week and asked how his dogs were. He told me they were put down at the pound. He said they had escaped a few times before and this time when the council called saying their dogs were there they decided to leave them there for a few days to teach them a lesson. When they went in to collect the dogs and they were told they had been put down as no one came in to collect them. Now, I took this story with a grain of salt as I don't always believe everything this friend tells me!

But I was telling a friend at work, who is very trustworthy, and a Doctor (You have to trust a Dr!). He said the same thing happened to his friend in Townsville a few years ago. There dog got out, he had been looking for it for days, he went to the pound to see if his dog was there to be told 'yes it was found and we held it for 3 days and put it down as no one had claimed it'. The dog was registered and the council claimed they had tried to ring and couldn't get through so they decided it was an abandoned dog.

Are these sorts of stories true or are people exaggerating, getting things wrong, making things up etc???

I found the first story hard to believe but after hearing the second one I am starting to worry maybe councils do do this sort of thing? I would hate to imagine one of my dogs getting out, being pick up by the council then put down in a few days! These stories really bothered and upset me!

Thanks,

C

I'm pretty sure that is the law in QLD - they are only required to hold it for 3 days. It is different in different states.

It is even worse when you think that some dogs don't get found and picked up by the rangers for a few days or even weeks. Imagine your dog has been lost for 4 weeks and then goes to the pound. You'd need to be checking every 3 days.

They left them there to teach them a lesson :)

Councils (depending on the area) only have to hold the dogs for 3 days, it is the OWNERS responsibilty to pick them up they are not a boarding service and dogs don't learn lessons by staying in them

I think the laws must be diff in NSW

Council must hold un microchiped dogs for 7 days before destruction

Council must hold chipped dogs for 14 days before destruction

this is part of our state laws local councils have no lee way in this

IF QLD does not have these restrictions or if their limit is 3 days then yes would say they can do this

Different in every state and territory.

Stray dogs are held for 7 days in the ACT before they can be put up for adoption or are put on the destruction list.

If they are surrendered by the owner, they can be put up for adoption immediately and on the destruction list immediately.

Wow those dogs certainly learned their lesson. They wont be running away again!

Thats awful!

Yep how ridiculous! :) I wonder why the owner didn't learn they're lesson the first time and properly secure their dogs! :laugh: Idiots!

Wow those dogs certainly learned their lesson. They wont be running away again!

Thats awful!

Yep how ridiculous! :) I wonder why the owner didn't learn they're lesson the first time and properly secure their dogs! :laugh: Idiots!

Yes - as if a dog can comprehend "I'm in the pound because I escaped. I'll never do that again". Same kind of people who let their dog walk along the streets with no leash - they'll "learn their lesson" when they get hit by a car!

Yes, I totally agree and do not condone leaving them there. I just found it hard to believe that is all. But surely you'd think if the pound had contacted the owners and confirmed they were coming to get them, they would try everything to get the dogs back to their home. Not just put them down. I can't recall exactly how long he said they left them there, I think it was a few days. I thought putting them down would have been a last resort for dogs that had no owners or no hope of finding a new home.

These dogs that were left there 'to teach them a lesson' were a purebreed Golden Retriever and Labrador. I mean they could have put them up for sale for $500 like the RSPCA does.

Very sad. I am going to go over my dog registrations to make sure all my contact details are up to date! I would hate to miss a call from the council after hearing this stuff. One of my dogs did get out a few months ago, she dug a hole under the fence. I got a call from the council saying a local lady had her! I called her straight up to arrange a collection.

It is 3 business days with no identification.

Microchip your pet and keep the details up-to-date; will give the dog a lot longer in the pound and make it much more likely to come home again.

But surely you'd think if the pound had contacted the owners and confirmed they were coming to get them, they would try everything to get the dogs back to their home.

If the owners made the pound aware, there's no way the dogs would have been put down (though you are charged a boarding fee per day, so it's pretty dumb to leave them there increasing your release fee - apart from the other reasons it's dumb). The dogs would have had no tags on their collars (or no collars) and no microchip.

Edited by molasseslass

Yes, I totally agree and do not condone leaving them there. I just found it hard to believe that is all. But surely you'd think if the pound had contacted the owners and confirmed they were coming to get them, they would try everything to get the dogs back to their home. Not just put them down. I can't recall exactly how long he said they left them there, I think it was a few days. I thought putting them down would have been a last resort for dogs that had no owners or no hope of finding a new home.

These dogs that were left there 'to teach them a lesson' were a purebreed Golden Retriever and Labrador. I mean they could have put them up for sale for $500 like the RSPCA does.

Very sad. I am going to go over my dog registrations to make sure all my contact details are up to date! I would hate to miss a call from the council after hearing this stuff. One of my dogs did get out a few months ago, she dug a hole under the fence. I got a call from the council saying a local lady had her! I called her straight up to arrange a collection.

as you said i the first post your friend tends to elaborate on the truth, I for one believe this is what she May have done in this case!!

Maybe they didnt have the $$ to get them out !! and are to embarassed to state the truth, if councils know who the owners are they usually try to reunite the dogs to the owners! If not tell your friend to compalin I am sure if its a true story a current affairs program will pick up on it!

Yes, I think you are right Wazzat and Molasses, I doubt the version I got was the truth. I think they would have had the money, they are 'CUBs' (Cashed up Bogans). My guess is the dogs didn't have any ID, tags or microchip. They got out and they didn't bother looking for a few days (to 'teach them a lesson'), then tried the council after they got worried a week later or something.

I think the 'you are charged a boarding fee per day' is a much better system. It seems so sad and harsh to put down peoples pets in such a short time. There must be cases where people are away on holidays and their dogs get out, this happened to my sister. They got a call while they were interstate! My parents were looking after the dogs and they managed to open the garage door and escape! My parents picked them up a few hours later from a house down the road. The owner called my sister!

The thing to remember though is that pounds have limited spaces and the longer a dog is kept the more likely there isn't room for another stray and also disease risk is increased the longer they stay.

CUB's haven't heard that one but I like it :laugh:

So you're friends knew the dogs were in the pound because the pound let them know it's there... they didn't pick it up straight away or for 3 days, so the pound put them down... ummm... isn't that usually what happens when dogs are in the pound and don't get picked up? they often get put down if no one wants them?

Pounds are busy and usually very full, and they aren't going to wait for owners to take their time to pick up their dogs whenever they want... they did the right thing to contact the owners in the first place!

seriously... some people!! :laugh:

RIP doggies

I think the 'you are charged a boarding fee per day' is a much better system. It seems so sad and harsh to put down peoples pets in such a short time.

No pound has unlimited space, dogs (and cats and all the rest) have to be PTS to make room.

It is sad when people have acted responsibly - identification is the key.

They left them there to teach them a lesson :laugh:

Councils (depending on the area) only have to hold the dogs for 3 days, it is the OWNERS responsibilty to pick them up they are not a boarding service and dogs don't learn lessons by staying in them

Exactly. Noone who gave a crap about their dog would leave it in the pound any longer than absolutely necessary. As if dogs think that way :o

It's amazing how many times pound staff hear "we'll come and get Fluffy", and then no-one ever does turn up... Fluffy becomes the property of the pound after the mandatory allotted time - and unfortunately, that can mean that Fluffy ain't going to survive the experience...

It's a sad indictment on our fellow "humans" IMO...

T.

Some people are just thick! I would never leave an animal there to teach it a lesson. It's obviously the fault of the owner for not securing the property so they cant get out! And if its anything like here in adelaide, where the animals council collect end up in the animal welfare league - keeping a dog where the pen could be used to house an animal which does not have an owner really upsets me. They are not boarding kennels. :thumbsup: