Sunday

Miss C Stuart (NSW) Brace, 3-6mths S/stakes, Toys,

Terriers

Mrs J Bray (NSW) 6-12 mths S/stakes, Hounds,

Working Dogs

Mr S Rose (NSW) Utility, General Specials

Mr R J Lucas (NSW) Gundogs, Non Sporting

What does the Brace mean?

It's when you show two dogs of the same breed at the same time. It doesn't matter what sexes they are, however the more similar they are in appearance, the better it is. The judge is looking for uniformity in the dogs as well as how they work together. This event also shows how skilled the handler is.

There is also a 'team' class. Teams are three or more dogs exhibited together. Five is the largest team I have seen. From memory it was 5 corgis.

It's when you show two dogs of the same breed at the same time. It doesn't matter what sexes they are, however the more similar they are in appearance, the better it is. The judge is looking for uniformity in the dogs as well as how they work together. This event also shows how skilled the handler is.

There is also a 'team' class. Teams are three or more dogs exhibited together. Five is the largest team I have seen. From memory it was 5 corgis.

Ok so the one person handles both dogs at the same time? If that's the case it would be worth going to this show just to see that.... I have enough trouble handling my one wei :)

I'd love to do it with both Male Min Pins of ours! :)

When I work with one, the other comes and tries to upstage the one on lead by doing the same work off-lead as well!

So if I am doing the up and back, the one offlead would do it as well next to the dog on lead!

I am freestanding with food, they would both do it!

Trouble is, if they are both on lead and together, they are usually not happy about it!

I was going to think about doing an attempt of a brace if one comes up in a specialty!

I have seen it this year and thought it was good, so I am hoping for one!

The last Brace class I watched was won by two Pointers of Ashanali's breeding. It was poetry to watch, but hard work for the handler :)

Just as a matter of interest I looked at the ANKC site today and it is not a recognised class as such. Our local control had a clear rule previously, but it seems to have been lost in the Rules Review.

An interesting "Irish Brace" I once watched was a Dachshund (Miniature Smooth Haired) and a Whippet :grimace:

In the one I did I took two Pointers. The things I made sure of were:

The bigger dog is closest to the handler as not to hide the smaller dog

Gaiting is at normal pace

Dogs should reasonably free stand as you may not get a chance to stack both

Be prepared for anything - judge got us to do triangles which is hard enough with Clarke normally we also did a couple of laps following and then had to overtake the Labradors in front of us haha

My experience was very fun, the kids had fun too trying to get their head in front of the others and mouthing each other with big grins on their face and once they got going in front we could have lapped those Labs haha

I took 2 Lowchen in brace, father & daughter.

I crafted my own brace lead as father needed a tight check lead and daughter needed a loose slip lead. So I made one end of the double very long for her :)

They walked quite well together, keeping themselves at about the same pace but were not touching shoulder to shoulder (as that can put their movement off) and they sort of free stood but I handstacked them. But we got the first ribbon and trophy :laugh: Wished I'd had a video camera that day.

Years ago I watched a brace class, there was a man with two pugs both male and all they wanted to do was have a go at each other so he showed them on two seperate leads on either side of him to keep the apart from each other, not quite what one would call brace. But from memory I think he was placed in the final 3 out of about 10 entries

Not sure if the rules are the same in all states, but a brace usually has to be owned by the same person. So two dogs, same breed, same owner and as closely matched as possible. Normal show workout on a brace lead with the dogs working together. It is pretty easy to teach show trained dogs to work in a brace situation.