Pancreatitis With Red Meat, Is Kangaroo An Alternative?

my staffy is intolerant to pork, lamb, beef, but can have chicken, turkey and fish - appears to get instant arthritis and over the medium term pancreatitis. Have also found drontal and heartguard cannot be given to her due to similar reactions and have found alternatives for these products. Is kangaroo considered a 'red meat' product or is it a case of try it and see.

Edited by sllebasi

LOL, Sorry i should have clarified and described it as either red or white meat. white meat seems to be fine for my dog but was wondering if kangaroo was more than likely going to get a similar reaction as the red meat or whether because it was so lean etc, that maybe kangaroo was a better option. the arthritis and pancreatitis also seem to flare up for drontal and heartguard so have managed to find alternatives for these.

It's all about elimination... My dog is allergic to chicken and is intolerant to beef and pork. He can eat kangaroo, turkey, fish, and lamb (but raw in small amounts)

If you do try it though, make sure you know the triggers. Our elimination diet took a long time, because my dogs reactions come out in his skin sometimes weeks after he has had the food. Some dogs with allergies have gut reactions either vomiting or poosplosions...

A pancreatitis condition isn't an allergy issue though and wrong feeding could make your dog really sick. Not worth the risk IMO. Kangaroo is lean but as I said is a high protein meat and I *think* that protein also needs to be limited as well as fat. I did a protein search and it is higher in protein then the meats you are feeding.

I would amend the title to say that your dog has pancreatitis and then people with dogs with pancreatitis will come in and let you know if they can feed kangaroo.

It's all about elimination... My dog is allergic to chicken and is intolerant to beef and pork. He can eat kangaroo, turkey, fish, and lamb (but raw in small amounts)

If you do try it though, make sure you know the triggers. Our elimination diet took a long time, because my dogs reactions come out in his skin sometimes weeks after he has had the food. Some dogs with allergies have gut reactions either vomiting or poosplosions...

We get itchy skin and lots of bottom scooting on foods that dont suit him, it will be interesting to see how Mason is on the turkey, I am hoping that he is fine with it to at least give me some alternative to roo.

can you explain what you mean about getting 'instant arthritis' and also describe what you mean by pancreatitis?

I've never heard of a dog getting pancreatitis just from red meat - it's usually the fat content that upsets the pancreas and causes the problems.

Sllebasi you really should be talking with your vet about this. My staffy girl got pancreatitis back in 2000 and after it settled went back on her normal diet but then she got it again and now has it for life. She has been on a very strict diet ever since only eating wet and dry Hills Science W/D (plus some other vegies). Pancreatitis is incredibly painful and my understanding was that any meat would trigger it in my dog - hence her diet being basically that of a vegetarian now. And she doesn't miss what the others get. She has her own special treat food - even vegetarian pigs ears! So you need to talk to your vet about your dog otherwise your dog will get sick again and even die. My girl just celebrated her 16th birthday and I would not have her now had I ignored her dietary needs.

my baby has had pancreatitis about four times, the last attack was christmas 2008 when she had vomiting for 24 hours and ended up in hospital on drip etc. since then she has been on mainly chicken, fish plus rice and veges and has not had another attack yet.

if someone gives her some meat scraps the next day she will start limping - it seems to be relatively instant.

it may just be coincidence, but when i started writing a food diary and and was noticing symptoms and when they appeared it seemed that it was after a bone (was able to give lamb neck chops for a period of time until she started vomiting approx 1/2 hour after bone) or after drontal and/or heartguard. the vet told me that red meat can make the dogs form crystals and this is what gets into the gut and into the joints and causes all the problems.

i may be wrong about some of this info, this is my first ever pet and am all ears

Perhaps seek a second opinion? I don't know much about either crystal formation after too much protein , or all the ins & outs of pancreatitis- but I DO think you need a vet who will spend time with you, explaining just how both of these processes occur, and what foods can be used safely.

Seems as if a low protein/low fat diet will help .. but you need to get the vet's opinion on just HOW much of each is needed, and what food can supply it for your dog.

Again I repeat that pancreatitis is about one of the most painful things a human or dog can go through so if you love your dog please get some proper advice about her diet. Having attacks on and off will just lead to other health issues when you could be managing the situation now. You can't feed her red meat here and there if it causes her attacks. Would you do that to yourself if it made you sick? Of course you wouldn't. So that means NO BONES from red meat. And roo meat looks awfully red to me when it is raw and it is a dark meat when cooked so I'd be avoiding it too (unless the vet advises otherwise). There are other options to spoil your dog. I mentioned the vegeatarian pigs ears - all our dogs love them just as much as the real thing. The vegie biscuits - the other dogs want them and raid her container so they can't taste too bad. And dogs love raw carrot - that is my girls treat food - sweet and wet and chewy. She stopped begging at the table for scraps a long time ago. She is not missing out on anything.

If you don't sort out your girl's diet you will reduce her life expectancy and it will cost you more in vet bills than if you made some changes now.

The other thing I just thought of is if your girl starts limping it may not be joint pain but abdominal pain. Next time it happens have a feel around her belly to see if it is linked - it could be radiating pain causing her to limp.

I have a dog here that has pancreatitis. She is on a diet of kangaroo, rice and veges she also has a 1/2 of a 4x2 a couple of times a week and is doing really well on this and has had no more attacks.

I have a dog here that has pancreatitis. She is on a diet of kangaroo, rice and veges

yep :rofl:

the reason I think the OP really needs to get vet help here is that apparently, on high protein food, her dog produces crystals ( I am guessing like the ones produced in the bladder? :laugh:) and for this reason- having TWO processes happening, it is not a time to 'try' things :o

I have a dog here that has pancreatitis. She is on a diet of kangaroo, rice and veges

yep :p

the reason I think the OP really needs to get vet help here is that apparently, on high protein food, her dog produces crystals ( I am guessing like the ones produced in the bladder? :) ) and for this reason- having TWO processes happening, it is not a time to 'try' things :laugh:

Producing crystals in the joints sounds like a dog version of gout. So gout + pancreatitis = more help from the vet