Whelping Dramas

bridie

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Emily doesn't need to have any more litters... *grin*

Concentrate on getting her well, and looking after the pups. Try some Manuka honey for her sore throat too, OK? Just a little bit will help her feel better.

T.

DELTA084.jpgEMILYSBOYS15810032.jpg

No,there will be no more litters this was a plan for the last litter,I'll give bit of honey.At the moment she is breathing ....panting really fast.....I can't even count them.These situations a very stressful.

Edited by bridie

If it were me, I would be contacting a vet again.... panting is hard work.. and suckling pups with an oxygen deficit is putting a strain on her poor little body :provoke:

Can you maybe hire a humidifier and put for her? MANUKA honey will help - she just a needs a little every so often ,so it coats her throat ..ordinary honey doesn't have the medicinal qualities ...

Perhaps make sure she is not too warm , as well.......

Saturday, panting all day Emilys' 58th day.At 7pm waters broke,straight to the clinic where I stayed until 3.30a.m.Delivered 3 pups.

Yesterday the panting continued,to the point she wasn't settling,I had prepared to bottle feed,was gagging & on occasions vomiting,panting so hard her whole body was shaking.Concerned the gums had gone pale,also tongue blue.To me it seemed like she could not get air,has had previuos trachea enlongated palate operation. Spoke to a breeder & she thinks it it is not the problem,just the whelping has caused this.Gave calcium,Clavulox & glucose plus tried to cool her down although temp normal.This am not as much panting,very little, a little bit of goose humping.Had intended to visit the vet but I'm thinking this has decipitated and will go altogether,she is eating & settled with the pups.

Has any-one had this,what causes it,what did you treat it with & how long does it last???

All advice appreciated.Been a hell of a long week-end.

I think I better get her vet checked this morning,I really have no idea what I'm dealing with & am concerned.

Is elongation of the palate common in Chi's? and are they often such poor whelpers? I have to say you are brave because I wouldnt really want to continue a line that could not whelp freely- I dont think I would be able to survive the stress!

I have heard that it can be common in small breeds & tracheas......go google which explains it so much more than I could. Emily is from a line of FREE whelpers,her Mum had litters on her own,her sisters, never had the worries like I have with Emily.See aboves where I said she whelped them but not with-out difficulty.

One has to have faith & trust that "the Breeder" is telling you the truth re the lines,no way any-one would purposedly breed knowingly on any-thing but a free whelper,heard there are some that do,enough woes with-out buying them in,first timers is always an anxious time because an unusual birth position of pup or very large pup

,wise to have female larger & keep the stud small IMHO.Stress & panic. The other night came upon me so suddenly,gave me such a fright had to go to the loo twice before I set out,reaction on the nervous system,I tried to put the kidney basket in front seat so I could see her,in my right mind I would know it was impossible & to put her in a carry basket,thinking what will I put her in!!put the mobile down & torch couldn't find them,left my handbag outside front door...........it is called not thinking straight,I am a very well organised person but these things throw me,being alone does not help at times such as these,blackest night out,no moon.

Panting might be a sign of pain, are you sure there's not more puppies in there? Also, is the tonsillitis infectious, could it make her babies sick. I remember hearing about a woman who kissed a newborn baby when she had a cold sore and the baby died from it.

Panting might be a sign of pain, are you sure there's not more puppies in there? Also, is the tonsillitis infectious, could it make her babies sick. I remember hearing about a woman who kissed a newborn baby when she had a cold sore and the baby died from it.

Well 2 vets opinions no ,no more pups & scan done on the occasion. I'm so afraid Emilys' next breathe is her last,this is so distressing.... hardly coping,how much more so for her,just wish I could put a tube down & give her oxygen.She is still gasping,honking,I've given ashma stuff to try open the bronchial tubes. My worst fear is a trachea flattering.Please God help Emily...now.

No improvment will ring Vet t'morrow re air & condition etc.Not eating today so have given Nutrigel& glucose,she is my first born& would never part with her,not ever.....I'm so stressed out,sorry for the worry for all

Well 2 vets opinions no ,no more pups & scan done on the occasion. I'm so afraid Emilys' next breathe is her last,this is so distressing.... hardly coping,how much more so for her,just wish I could put a tube down & give her oxygen.She is still gasping,honking,I've given ashma stuff to try open the bronchial tubes. My worst fear is a trachea flattering.Please God help Emily...now.

No improvment will ring Vet t'morrow re air & condition etc.Not eating today so have given Nutrigel& glucose,she is my first born& would never part with her,not ever.....I'm so stressed out,sorry for the worry for all

Bridie, don't you have an emergency vet? If your wee dog is finding breathing that hard now, she may not be breathing at all by morning :thumbsup:

I don't know how you can stand it, I would be handing her over to a vet ASAP.

:)

Bridie, don't you have an emergency vet? If your wee dog is finding breathing that hard now, she may not be breathing at all by morning :thumbsup:

I don't know how you can stand it, I would be handing her over to a vet ASAP.

:)

No,no vet wants to even know u after hours,emergency vets only that charge $120 for a consult

I need a good nights sleep.can't at the moment

,so concerned

,I'm also worried re the panting what toll it has on her heart

If it were me, I would be contacting a vet again.... panting is hard work.. and suckling pups with an oxygen deficit is putting a strain on her poor little body :)

Can you maybe hire a humidifier and put for her? MANUKA honey will help - she just a needs a little every so often ,so it coats her throat ..ordinary honey doesn't have the medicinal qualities ...

Perhaps make sure she is not too warm , as well.......

Yey Persy,cheaper to buy one,but the bowl & steam is sufficient,she doesn't like it...too bad

Yeah,blanket on low

Glad to hear you know what's wrong - did the vet give you any advice about the transmission of the infection from her mouth to the pups? I have heard of someone having big problems with a litter born to a rescue bitch with broken and rotten teeth, don't know that tonsilitis would cause the same issues? Certainly hope not!

Vets give NO BLOODY advice,just battle and suffer though,sort it out yourself

I"m disgusted with the vets I know,it is all about the &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Sorry, but what is $120 compared to the life of your dog? And her pups? That is actually very CHEAP for an emergency consult (its $200 here) so I would be putting her in the car and going right now.

If you know how to; I would be interested as to hear the recording on your video of her panting.

Although we are not vets (I know I'm not atleast) someone here may be able to offer you some advice.

Body language can tell a lot, the environment, temperatures etc.

I don't want to sound harsh here - but why are you breeding with a dog that had complications with her first TWO litters when you are concerned about a $120 vet consult fee if you need emergency help?

Before I knew better, I allowed one of my dogs to have a litter, and my vets were on standby for if we needed help - no matter what the cost... AND I had made sure that I could have an account to pay off if I couldn't afford the fee up front. Luckily I didn't need emergency help, but it was so much more comforting to know that there were not going to be problems getting medical attention straight away if we needed it.

How are Emily and the babies this morning?

T.

I don't want to sound harsh here - but why are you breeding with a dog that had complications with her first TWO litters when you are concerned about a $120 vet consult fee if you need emergency help?

I am so glad it was someone else said this because I would probably have said a bit more.

I am so glad it was someone else said this because I would probably have said a bit more.

I'll answer the flak t'morrow.Later today if time.

Emily is so so much better this a.m.only a snorkle now,normal for her & ate her breakfast of roast chicken.,needed no encouragement.Looks much happier,a case of waiting for antibiotics to kick in I suppose.

I'm not flaming you bridie - just asking the obvious question when it appears that you might not have been as prepared for these complications as you could have been. I'm not a breeder, and my pups were crossbred, but I still managed to have all angles covered with regards to possible emergency vet care for mum and babies - even to the point of having my vet's home phone number if a real emergency came up. Luckily for me, there were no complications with my girl or her babies - but having the safety net of knowing that you have vets you trust with your dog's life on hand if/when you need them is a wonderful thing.

T.