Whelping Dramas

bridie

Saturday, panting all day Emilys' 58th day.At 7pm waters broke,straight to the clinic where I stayed until 3.30a.m.Delivered 3 pups.

Yesterday the panting continued,to the point she wasn't settling,I had prepared to bottle feed,was gagging & on occasions vomiting,panting so hard her whole body was shaking.Concerned the gums had gone pale,also tongue blue.To me it seemed like she could not get air,has had previuos trachea enlongated palate operation. Spoke to a breeder & she thinks it it is not the problem,just the whelping has caused this.Gave calcium,Clavulox & glucose plus tried to cool her down although temp normal.This am not as much panting,very little, a little bit of goose humping.Had intended to visit the vet but I'm thinking this has decipitated and will go altogether,she is eating & settled with the pups.

Has any-one had this,what causes it,what did you treat it with & how long does it last???

All advice appreciated.Been a hell of a long week-end.

I think I better get her vet checked this morning,I really have no idea what I'm dealing with & am concerned.

Edited by bridie

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vet now.

If eclampsia it doesn't wait or get better on its own. If not there is still something wrong & breeder or forum cannot diagnose it.

If you are not happy with the vet that has seen her so far go to another one.

Hope she is ok.

Hi bridie, I can see you here in the thread again. Could you PLEASE update, there are a lot of concerned people here.

And yes oakway, that is my thought too...that is how my old Stafford bitch Dolly presented when she had to be sectioned and desexed on the table or bleed to death. :provoke:

Sounds worse to me.

Did she have the pups normally or was it a C section.

Sounds like a bitch with a ruptured uterus.

Been to another vet,really swollen tonsils,a wonder she tries to eat at all.Gave her an oxetosis(spell check!) injection & anti-biotic one as well,have anti-biotic tabs to continue with.I'm to put her over steam which I've been advised should help her breath easier,so congested,says this is all brought on over the stress of the whelping.

Today being her 60th I had planned a blood test & "we" had planned to c/section & desex at the same time.Cannot plan any-thing with dogs.Saturday night she gave birth to the 1st(breach)male but he looked like he had been dead awhile(like a mustard colour around the edge of his tongue)he was large,2hours later normal birth another male & 3/4 hour later the last one.The first one was a dry birth,waters broke at home at 7pm & he was not born until 3 hours later.We had to help with birthing especially the first one,wondering if he may have drowned? Always glad when the births are all over,never know what can happen,BUT does it always have to be late at night and a week-end!

I'll try post a photo soon ,because I know there will be some who will want to see what Emily looks like,it's nice to see who I am talking about.

Thanks every-one

Edited by bridie

Thank goodness the problem has been found and is being treated. What a time you have had. A few would be BYB's should read your post, it might show them that breeding is not an easy, money making thing. Looking forward to pics of your girl.

Glad to hear you know what's wrong - did the vet give you any advice about the transmission of the infection from her mouth to the pups? I have heard of someone having big problems with a litter born to a rescue bitch with broken and rotten teeth, don't know that tonsilitis would cause the same issues? Certainly hope not!

Oh :provoke: poor girl- no wonder she was having trouble getting air :hug: If she was off colour , that may have been why the birth was a bit difficult?

Hoping the AB's kick in soon, and she can enjoy life again!

omg WISH I COULD JUST CUT & PASTE PHOTOS! AND i HAVE LEFT CAPS ON.

Emily is in her 5th year,first time 2 breach,both dead,went to vet(bloody Saturday again late arvo) that day at 12.30pm said no she is not ready for a few days.Three that arvo it started,called for help off neighbour, to hold her why I helped birth them. Last year I insisted on a caesarean as I didn't want to see her (or me) go though this again,we had 3 healthy babies on the 60th day.Saturday when I called the clinic they didn't really want me to come in,didn't I have confidence & this time may be different they said.On my own no bloody way,with Emilys" history,I do not take unnecessary chances with my lot,can't hold her and help birth at the same time,besides if some-thing goes wrong I am surely at the right place! Do wonder some-times.If I was loaded I would go to the Emergency Clinic,no worries.Last time there at 1am 5 years ago cost me $1,700 for caesarean,one pup.I some-times (often)think us breeders are mad it is not a money making business,my lot owe me $6,000 & on going,I do it becuase I am hooked,some-times wish I had never seen a Chihuahua!!!!!

Yes BYB,well my sister has 2 Poodles & is of the opinion because she has larger dogs(Minature Poodles)she will not have the dramas I have,(your dogs are so small)don't mean to be mean or wish her bad luck but the only way people like this will be cured is to have Dramas & hit their hip pocket.She has no idea,nothing is set up for it or for a litter on the ground,I asked why would you want to put yourself through this,lame excuse is to have a litter to pay for the 2 she wants to keep,don't get me started on BYB I don't know where to stop.When I look at those Rescue sites I cry my eyes out,what awful bloody humans there are & then what wonderful people the Rescuers are,do a mighty job and I sing their praises.I'm a bit emotional today,sleep deprived & I know it is terrible for Emily trying to get breath but the noise is driving me nuts.

A bit carried away here at the moment,only came to say I forget how to do the photo.........I'll go have a look,see what I can do

I must say it is really good to speak to speak to like minded folks,theraputical as they say

Edited by bridie

deep breath bridie --- experienced peeps are here to hold your hand :hug:

i'm not a breeder but i would love the experience of having helped birth a litter just once in my life, but i don't think i could deal with it cuz i found your story pretty scary --- i'd hate it if anything went wrong and i would feel very bad if i let the bitch down in any way...

good luck uploading your pix too :(

btw, i will at some point own a chihuahua; i adore them :provoke:

Saturday, panting all day Emilys' 58th day.At 7pm waters broke,straight to the clinic where I stayed until 3.30a.m.Delivered 3 pups.

Yesterday the panting continued,to the point she wasn't settling,I had prepared to bottle feed,was gagging & on occasions vomiting,panting so hard her whole body was shaking.Concerned the gums had gone pale,also tongue blue.To me it seemed like she could not get air,has had previuos trachea enlongated palate operation. Spoke to a breeder & she thinks it it is not the problem,just the whelping has caused this.Gave calcium,Clavulox & glucose plus tried to cool her down although temp normal.This am not as much panting,very little, a little bit of goose humping.Had intended to visit the vet but I'm thinking this has decipitated and will go altogether,she is eating & settled with the pups.

Has any-one had this,what causes it,what did you treat it with & how long does it last???

All advice appreciated.Been a hell of a long week-end.

I think I better get her vet checked this morning,I really have no idea what I'm dealing with & am concerned.

Is elongation of the palate common in Chi's? and are they often such poor whelpers? I have to say you are brave because I wouldnt really want to continue a line that could not whelp freely- I dont think I would be able to survive the stress!