Lab Going To A Returning Soldier

Tapua

Just thought this would be a story some of you might be interested in.

We have a litter due of Labs and of course there are numerous enquiries - a couple of weeks ago we were emailed about from a soldier who said he was in Afganistan called Andrew wanting a pup from this litter. My husband & I were a tad dubious about it all but we emailed back asking if he could confirm more details about who he was and what he wanted. Back came name, rank and that he would be calling in a couple of days. Which he did.Amazing conversation! Anyway the short story is his X- fiance took off whilst he has been over there and worst for him SHE TOOK THE DOG! :laugh: So he really wants a companion to come home to when he is back in October.

I really wanted to make sure he gets a pup but given how many orders I offered him the option our 7 month old male ... who has morphed into a small horse and just way way over size. Anyway Andrew delighted to get Dimples our 7 month old since he will be about the same age as his pup that was taken by the X.

So the emails and pictures have been flying of Dimps and Andrew and some 'bonding at a distance' has been happening. Which is lovely. Then this morning we got an email that 2 of his friends were injured yesterday and he sounds scared. So this brings it home to me people not onlyabout our men and women serving in Afganistan but the importance of dogs as therapy. As dissapointed I am that Dimples wont make it as a stud for our kennel this adorable big lug has a purpose and I know he will do his job well. :thanks:

Light a candle for the people serving overseas -things are hotting up over there especially in the area where Andrew is. He is just a kid he's about 20 :rofl:

Edited by Tapua

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, Definitely needs photos of Dimples and Andrew!!

How beautiful and how lovely that you are able to help him by simply offering him a dog! Bless. 20 years old serving for our Country, been engaged with the pooch and she takes off. So terribly sad and all he needs to put a smile on his face is a Lab! :thanks:

I hold the utmost resepect for our soliders serving in some very very scary places overseas. It is something I would never be brave enough to do.

In two days we had two soldiers killed and two injured - 4 soldiers too many in my book.

It i so fantastic he has something to look forward to when he comes home. We would definately love to see some photos of your boy and Andrew if he is happy to have that happen.

I cross my fingers that he is okay and his friends heal quickly.

What a wonderful story.

The power of our canine companions

What a great story. :laugh: I'm sure Dimples will have a wonderful life with that man. We would love to see some photos. :laugh:

I immediately thought of this video that I saw the other day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZE-ZMN93Rc It's a video of a soldier returning home who gets greeted by his dog... It's so cute. :laugh:

Oh that's one of my favorite all time vid's,

Great story, great to see Dimples will make Andrew so happy again, hope Andrew and all the others serving over there come home safe

Such a beautiful story! And I love that vid, it made me tear a little. I'm so glad Dimples is going to have a great companion and vice versa. Would definitely like to see Dimples though! I understand the whole "bonding via pictures" thing - sometimes, even through a picture, you just "know". And that's the best reassurance that you've found the right one, somewhat like... Love. :laugh:

A friends husband did a tour in Iraq, and he showed me some (illegal) video he had shot while over there. I was shocked, it was like surreal, a complete other world. The way our soldiers live and so on is just impossible to describe. They dont have any days off, they work everyday. If they have an hour to spare they might go shoot stuff for practise. In the time he was there there were something like 21 artilary strikes on the base. They would have to run and hide in these shelters until they were given the all clear. n He told me how teenagers could launch a rocket at the base just using a scrap of metal to fire from.

I have nothing but admiration for the men and women who serve. I think its fantastic Andrew has Dimples to look forward to coming home to!

I saw a little doco a while ago about using dogs as therapy to treat returned soldiers with PTSD in the US, it really was remarkable. Some of these men and women were completely crippled, and having the dog, someone to talk to who wouldn't judge, only love, seemed to make a huge difference to them.

Dimples has an important job to do I think :laugh:

This thread needs a photo or 2 :)

Andrew AKA 'Nads'

post-27124-1282551608_thumb.jpg

Dimples

Having dramas getting photos of Dimples on I'll try again!!!!!!!

post-27124-1282553322_thumb.jpg

this is when he was about 4 months old - he is much much bigger now - you can see pics of him on our website

Tapua, what a touching story! I enquired about your pups earlier this year which I think may have been Dimples' litter.

I hope Andrew gets home safely soon. Dimples definitely has an important job to do. It sounds like Andrew will have a lot of healing to do, and it must mean a lot to you that you can help. And just a bit off topic- how awful for his ex to take off with the dog too! :)

What a lovely story! Will Dimples name be staying dimples? Its very cute!

Nope it will be changed to 'Saint' after another of Andrews mates who died in July people might remember him as dying with his bomb detection dog - he was a good mate of Andrews and known as 'Saint' so Dimples is named after a fallen soldier, gulp makes me very teary at times - our dopey pup will be much loved.

Edited by Tapua

What a lovely story! Will Dimples name be staying dimples? Its very cute!

Nope it will be changed to 'Saint' after another of Andrews mates who died in July people might remember him as dying with his bomb detection dog - he was a good mate of Andrews and known as 'Saint' so Dimples is named after a fallen soldier, gulp makes me very teary at times - our dopey pup will be much loved.

Me too :offtopic::) They're talking about Afghanistan on the 7pm Project now. The sooner we get our troops out of there, the better.

A friends husband did a tour in Iraq, and he showed me some (illegal) video he had shot while over there. I was shocked, it was like surreal, a complete other world. The way our soldiers live and so on is just impossible to describe. They dont have any days off, they work everyday. If they have an hour to spare they might go shoot stuff for practise. In the time he was there there were something like 21 artilary strikes on the base. They would have to run and hide in these shelters until they were given the all clear. n He told me how teenagers could launch a rocket at the base just using a scrap of metal to fire from.

I have nothing but admiration for the men and women who serve. I think its fantastic Andrew has Dimples to look forward to coming home to!

My son did a tour of duty in Iraq. In fact he celebrated his 21st birthday shortly after he got there. He is a commisioned officer and it was his first overseas posting.

Every time I hear of one of our soldiers being injured or killed I spare a thought for his mum. In fact I spare a lot of thoughts for her.