Salivation & Unsteady On Back Legs

k9angel

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloods were taken yesterday and results are back this morning.

Whitey has Thombocytopenia.

Which means he has hardly any platelets and bleeds very easily. He only has to knock himself to cause a bleed.

Dogs should have 200-500 platelets, Whitey only has 8. :swear:

Whitey is alot better this morning and should be able to come home this afternoon. :laugh:

He will be treated with cortisone.

Thankyou everyone for your kind words, advice and thoughts. :scold: It is much appreciated. :rofl:

Edited by k9angel

Good to hear the Vet has been able to diagnose the ailment and has done so fairly swiftly and I hope to hear that Whitey is stabilised and back to living his normal life with you, real soon :).

Sad to hear your boy has IMT, I and a few others on DOL have lost dogs to this devastating disease, although curable it is not something that can be cured quickly, and is a long road to recovery.

My thoughts are with you, and big cuddles to your boy, hoping for a full recovery for him.

Here is a link to a site with more info on this disease if anyone is interested.

I still have alot to learn myself.

http://www.thensome.com/throm.htm

I have to say he is doing extremely well, especially for a dog that according to the vet, should of been dead. It is a miracle he is still here and I am so grateful. He is getting stronger and seems to be responding well to the cortisone.

I am still going to organise a transfusion. The vet suggested it and asked if I had a donor on standby. I do. I have several healthy dogs here and from my understanding, it is not painful or distressing to them. They are put under and the blood is taken then they awake as though nothings happened. I Will keep you all posted on his progress.

And a big thankyou to you all for your kind words and support for Whitey. :love:

Awful news K9angel. I do hope Whitey recovers from this dreadful disease.

Like Boke says, hang on tight, you may be in for a long and hard time of it, though I certainly wish him a speedy recovery.

I have had 2 dogs with IMT, one survived and the other didn't. The mother of the one of mine that didn't survive, also passed away a few weeks ago with Thrombocytopaenia. Scary stuff.

Edited by dyzney

I am also wondering how Whitey is responding to treatment so far k9angel? worried for you as IMT is a bastard of a disease, hoping everything is going well for Whitey xxxx

Same here Boke. You and I know all about how horrible IMT is. I keep popping in hoping to see some news.

Wishing Whitey a full recovery. Hugs and kisses.

I am sure we will hear from k9angel soon.