Softest Slicker Brush

Di*

Hi folks

My Dog Man small slicker brush has been trodden on. Any recommendations for a replacement. My dogs are toy/small sized, pretty wimpy with slickers and short coated so I'm looking for the softest option.

best

Di

I like my Lawrence slicker as I find it not too hard. It doesn't bother Daisy even when she is in her very short summer clip.

Thanks Crazy Daisy. Just found this one advertised on ebay Paw Brothers Slicker Brush. It's described as supersoft but I was also told that my Dog Man slicker was soft and the guys still act as though I'm sticking pins into them.

Di

When you say shortcoated, HOW shortcoated do you mean?

I would never dream of using a slicker on my Staffords or the Greyhound. A slicker is designed primarily for medium to longcoated breeds.

Just found this one advertised on ebay Paw Brothers Slicker Brush. It's described as supersoft but I was also told that my Dog Man slicker was soft
Doggyman slickers are amongst the softest there is.
and the guys still act as though I'm sticking pins into them.

Well, if it isn't the correct brush for their coat type.....you pretty much ARE!

Well, if it isn't the correct brush for their coat type.....you pretty much ARE!

Happy to receive advice about coat type and most appropriate tool for the job but probably difficult to do online and with cross-breed dogs. Some info below in case it is of use.

Although all of mine are short-coated, the two with "most coat" are also the two who object to the slicker the most. One is chi x jack russell (best guess)--his coat would be thicker than a staffy's. Brushing only needed to remove dead hair. The other is supposed to be a sheltie cross. She is the only one with any length to her coat--mostly feathering, luxurious tail, fluffy bits around her ears. Her coat is most like a cavalier's but much less dense and not as long. Coat picks up bits and pieces and will have the odd knot.

Di

OK, I would say from the description that you would be best off with a pin brush and a good quality comb. I highly recommend Plush Puppy pin brushes and you can get small, medium and large "butter" combs from ebay.

Slicker brushes are generally used for long coats to enable you to remove undercoat and get right to the skin. Basically, if you can see skin easily on a dog then a slicker brush isn't what you need.

Feathering (and long hair around ears and head and tail) if not completely knotted and almost inpenetrable is best dealt with using the pin brush, followed by the comb and then the pin brush again. Any knots you can gently tease out with the end teeth of the comb.

OK, I would say from the description that you would be best off with a pin brush and a good quality comb. I highly recommend Plush Puppy pin brushes and you can get small, medium and large "butter" combs from ebay.

Slicker brushes are generally used for long coats to enable you to remove undercoat and get right to the skin. Basically, if you can see skin easily on a dog then a slicker brush isn't what you need.

Feathering (and long hair around ears and head and tail) if not completely knotted and almost inpenetrable is best dealt with using the pin brush, followed by the comb and then the pin brush again. Any knots you can gently tease out with the end teeth of the comb.

Thanks for your advice. Most appreciated.

Di

Di one of the best things for removing dead hair is one of those really cheap mitts you can pick up in reject shops. And the dogs usually love being groomed with them :provoke:

Thanks, yes we have one of those. It is good for the chi x but I always find loose hair left behind after using it. I had been using the slicker to pick up the "leftovers".

Di

I have a furminator for my kelpies and i absolutely swear by it... I got mine cheap on ebay... we bought our first one at around $100 at pet barn... since then got two off ebay for $15 - still great quality!

Thanks, yes, we have one of those too! We have the small-sized one. Gets rid of the fur well but I find it a bit weighty for the chi X and not so good on the longer fur of the sheltie X. Works best on our cats.

Since I have some experts online. Could you explain the use of those loopy metal things with the teeth and handle. Where do they fit into the whole brushing/grooming process?

thanks again for everyone's thoughts

Di

I use a kong brush.... it is rubber, so the hair sticks to it. It grabs the undercoat pretty well, much better than I thought it ever would! I also find she just lies there while I do it - where as when I use the little brush (which I still do around her ears), she carries on like a pork chop!

Doggyman slicker brush!

I got 2+ some other grooming gear imported from USA.

Cheaper, even with post!

About slickers and short-coat breeds...

My sister's RidgebackX loved a soft slicker brush- think he thought it was a sort of massage.

Would get a good result i.e. lots of hair off dog and on brush instead of furniture.

Hios coat was similar to a staffy or boxer- no long-coated breeds in his background, I'd say.

I have a furminator for my kelpies and i absolutely swear by it... I got mine cheap on ebay... we bought our first one at around $100 at pet barn... since then got two off ebay for $15 - still great quality!

Thanks, yes, we have one of those too! We have the small-sized one. Gets rid of the fur well but I find it a bit weighty for the chi X and not so good on the longer fur of the sheltie X. Works best on our cats.

Since I have some experts online. Could you explain the use of those loopy metal things with the teeth and handle. Where do they fit into the whole brushing/grooming process?

thanks again for everyone's thoughts

Di

I think what you have described there is a shedding blade, I think its really only used for very long coated breeds to get rid of the dead hair, but I could be wrong there

I have a furminator for my JRT and I love it...she disagrees but it does the job, she doesnt agree with any sort of brush, at least the furminator gets the job done in a few minutes, I do also have a zoom groom (the kong one) and I dont mind it, I just prefer the furminator because its easier to clean out and the hair stays in nice neat bundles