What Breeds Would You Consider?

Lucy's mama

My daughter is 10 years old and really really really wants her own dog to train in agility. It will be quite some time before that happens because the thought of another active dog to manage right now fills me with dread! But I do want to start investigating what might be suitable.

She is hell bent on a Sheltie, (a dark shaded sable female to be precise!) While I love the Sheltie breed I am worried Banjo (Aussie Shepherd) may be way too rough and tumble even for an adult Sheltie, and I don't want to commit to years of keeping dogs seperated from each other.

Other thoughts have been beagle just for size and happy nature, but they seem too stubborn and easily distracted by scents from what I have read.

Mini poodle - none of us are poodle fans but might be o.k. Clipping could be an issue though.

Cocker Spaniel - LOVE LOVE LOVE them, but again, lots of grooming. Daughter loves to brush but I'm just not sure with such a silky coat ande our yard full og prickly things and ears prone to infection - definately on my short list, though it is worth noting I rehomed a pet shop cocker when I couldn't keep him in and his life was being threatened by irate neighbours. I know a lot more about crates, pens, exercise and mental stimulation now though and have a better idea of what fencing will be required...

Cavalier - not sure if a cav would be big enough, and daughter says 'kinda cute in an ugly sort of way'

So what would you recomend (even if it's not on the list!)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whichever breed you choose, remember you may be the one ending up looking after it if she decides to go flatting when she's a teenager. :laugh:

I don't know much about shelties, but the ones I have met have all been very dignified and sensitive! But if she really wants one, maybe wait until one comes up in rescue & then you can deliberately pick a confident adult, rather than gambling that a puppy will grow into something that suits your family?

Always remember the child's size.

Is she capable of lifting a table dog.

Some child handlers are just not capable of lifting the dog of their choice onto a table because of their small stature. :laugh:

This is very true - Campbell would love to show a Fauve regularly but they are just too heavy for him to lift on to the table. Instead he will have to make do with run-offs for a while.

I'm sure I will offend many Sheltie owners but will run the risk anyway. They are a stunning dog with a definite working ability thereby making them ideal for agility etc BUT all the Shelties I have known bark like nothing else I've known. A friend was recently set up next to some at a show and every single time I visited her they were in their crates barking - I kid you not! I have spoken with some Sheltie people who have said that they highly recommend debarking to keep your sanity - and these were Shelties who did high level obedience & agility. Then there was my friendly Telstra technician who was recently moaning at how his neighbour's shelties did not shut-up ever if he was in his backyard - it has got to such a point that he no longer has bbq's etc. I'm not sure if it is something that is in lines (as howling is apparently with Fauves) or if it "simply" a trait of their working background but worth investigating unless you live somewhere where barking doesn't matter at all.

Always remember the child's size.

Is she capable of lifting a table dog.

Some child handlers are just not capable of lifting the dog of their choice onto a table because of their small stature. :rofl:

Not a show dog oakway, an agility dog :rofl:

Strewth, I have been at shows to long to even read the difference. :laugh::laugh:

Yes, I am prepared that it may end up being my dog. :-) I do think we will try for a young adult or older confident pup regardless of what breed we go with.

She sounds like a very determind and exact child LOL. (my 3 year old is like this) how hard is it to get exactly what she wants? because at least you might buy yourself time :laugh: and you will know how much she really wants it.

also it has to be a dog you will enjoy just incase she does loose intrest.

I was thinking what about a jack russel?

Can she not train Banjo? I'm sure he would be great at agility being an aussie and at fairly active one at that (from what i've heard)

aww poor cavs, i don't think they're ugly LOL

I know a 6 month old rough coated jack russell who would be perfect for her. The dog is extremely intelligent and easy to train and also very agile and athletic. She looks like the ultimate "kids dog" imo.

Kelpies and BCs are the ultimate agility dogs

A brittany might also be suitable, I have heard they are fairly easy to train and have the right build to succeed in agility.

The Sheltie bark is of concern....

We had a little Jack Russell rescue boy who was a brilliant old dog once he realized that in his new home he ate dog food off a dish on the floor rather than sit at the table with the people for tea and toast. :laugh: I don't think we want anything that small though. In my experience (and I may be wrong) the smaller the dog, the harder it is to contain. I'm thinking no smaller than 8kg and no heavier than 15.

If she is after an agility dog either get an established dog so you can be sure of temprament (my current agility dog has anxiety issues which make him a bit of a nightmare to train) or from a breeder who has titled a dog in a dogsport that can pick a pup with correct temprament.

A herding breed, utitility gundog or retriever would probably suit best. :laugh: Also a if you are going down the small dog path a Corgi could be a dog to consider, not that I know much about them :laugh: or a papillon. :rofl:

Maybe once you train Banjo up, she could run him? I saw a demo of a BC being run by a 10yo girl the other day (obviously not the trainer) and it was pretty impressive!

If she is still keen on getting her own agility dog then you could consider get another dog.

I wouldn't get another dog unless i was 100% happy with the behaviour of my current dog or i had a lot of time and patience :laugh:

I'm sure I will offend many Sheltie owners but will run the risk anyway. They are a stunning dog with a definite working ability thereby making them ideal for agility etc BUT all the Shelties I have known bark like nothing else I've known. A friend was recently set up next to some at a show and every single time I visited her they were in their crates barking - I kid you not! I have spoken with some Sheltie people who have said that they highly recommend debarking to keep your sanity - and these were Shelties who did high level obedience & agility. Then there was my friendly Telstra technician who was recently moaning at how his neighbour's shelties did not shut-up ever if he was in his backyard - it has got to such a point that he no longer has bbq's etc. I'm not sure if it is something that is in lines (as howling is apparently with Fauves) or if it "simply" a trait of their working background but worth investigating unless you live somewhere where barking doesn't matter at all.

I am 90% sure my little guy is a Sheltie X and he barks like like there is no tomorrow.

I will never get a another dog that is even remotly sheltie lol

Maybe once you train Banjo up, she could run him? I saw a demo of a BC being run by a 10yo girl the other day (obviously not the trainer) and it was pretty impressive!

If she is still keen on getting her own agility dog then you could consider get another dog.

I wouldn't get another dog unless i was 100% happy with the behaviour of my current dog or i had a lot of time and patience

Yes, it will be awhile before she has any hope of it happening, but it can't hurt to get ideas and input well in advance so we know what we are looking for.

I would prefer her to have a more child friendly dog than Banjo currently is. He may become better as he ages but atm close supervision is required for the kids to even make it from the front door to the front gate. Which is another reason I would not get a young pup again.

I am sure Banjo will settle down as he gets older, you are doing a lot of work with him which will show in the long run :laugh:

I'd probably let her do all the research into breeds and then she can present to you why she wants the particular breed and any potential problems that may occur (eg sheltie barking) and how she will address that.

I had to do that before I got my aussie clover. I researched heaps of dog breeds and made extensive lists of pros and cons- what a dog nerd LOL

In the end it was beneficial because it ensured I was 100% committed to Clover for her whole life as i really, really wanted her.

(and it was good for our animal husbandry subject at uni where in the exam we had to identify lots of different dog breeds!)