Worming Tablet Question

ricey

You can keep your aside Rusky - that is gross!!!

Thanks for your information aatainc, that was really interesting. It also explains why my chemist told us not to bother worming the family when we discovered our pup had worms years ago - I did the combantrim thing with them all anyway but that was mainly because my mother and grandmother couldn't stand the thought of the children being around an animal with worms.

Cheers,

Jodie.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talked to my vet and his one of his colleagues (she's Canadian) and they had never heard of worming humans or taking a preventative like the dogs do. They thought it rather odd and looked at me funny when I asked about it.

I will ask on one of my other dog lists if others do it or have heard of it before.

DOL is VERY educational!! :cheers:

Susie

Most little children do get threadworms. Combantrin treats threadworms. I think other types of worms would be fairly rare in humans except for the risk of hydatids in farming communities....even then I would say this is rare.

However, I am astounded that your vets were not aware of children and threadworms. Do they have children?? They have never heard of threadworms?. :thumbsup: .

Perhaps ask your human doctor about it. Combantrin is not a preventative medication, it gets rid of a threadworm infestation in humans.

Worming preventatives are not taken by humans...perhaps this is where the vets misunderstood you.

Both vets had heard of threadworms but had not heard of humans taking meds to "worm" themselves. I just talked to my sister (an R.N. for 25 years) and she had never heard of doing that either. She has two kids and one grandson and has not encountered any cases of threadworms in her years of nursing.

Guess they're not that common over here.

Both vets had heard of threadworms but had not heard of humans taking meds to "worm" themselves.[uNQUOTE]

What do they do in a case of threadworms if they dont give their children medication to get rid of the problem? Just let the kids remain infested with threadworms. They are quite contagious.

Threadworms can be seen in children, in the case of a bad infestation, in their faeces. They can also be seen crawling around the anus at night when children are asleep. It is necessary to shine a torch there at night to see the worms.

If you don't investigate the possibility of infestation then I guess you would be unaware as to whether or not worms were present.

Betcha they are common in every country in the world though :thumbsup: They are not restricted to the Australian environment.

Anne, I guess I was confused by some of the responses by people in this thread. It seemed to me that people on the forum were taking meds to worm themselves without ever knowing if they had worms or not. Was I mistaken?

Of course if there was an infestation of threadworms a child would be treated. Makes sense to treat an illness/problem, no?

What symptoms would be present in a child infested with threadworms? Is the only way to check for infestation by shining a flashlight on the anus?

I'm sure we have them here, but I have never heard of them. Two other people from another dog list have never heard of them either (one in North Carolina and another in Louisiana).

Thanks for educating me.

Susie

Anne, I guess I was confused by some of the responses by people in this thread. It seemed to me that people on the forum were taking meds to worm themselves without ever knowing if they had worms or not. Was I mistaken?

What symptoms would be present in a child infested with threadworms? Is the only way to check for infestation by shining a flashlight on the anus?

Susie,

We worm regularly, whether symtoms are present or not I have 3 small kids under 4 & with daycare/playgroup & just going to the park, it isnt something I want them to get,

A good sign of it though is they cant stop scratching at their bums!

Jacqui

Susie,

copied this from the NSW Health site:

Worms

Summary: What are worms? Having them does not reflect on the hygiene of a child's home. Signs of threadworms, treatment, after treatment, other worms, prevention.

Text: Worms

Worms

Worms are parasites that live and breed in the digestive system. They can affect people of all ages, but are most often found in children.

There are several different worms. The most common and easiest to get are Threadworms.

Threadworms are usually caught when someone swallows the worms' eggs. Inside the stomach, the eggs hatch into worms which travel through the intestines to the anus where they, in turn, hatch eggs. The eggs are picked up and swallowed and the process starts again.

Children are most likely to swallow or pass on the eggs if they don't wash their hands after going to the toilet, then share food or lick their fingers.

Threadworms are not spread by pets.

Not fussy

Threadworms aren't fussy about who they choose, and having them does not reflect on the hygiene of a child's home. Because of the way children play together, they are all at risk of getting Threadworms at some stage.

Signs of threadworms

Threadworms aren't always easy to detect. Sometimes there are no signs at all.

Children may have them if.

* They have an itchy bottom, particularly at night.

*They are irritable, restless or "off their food".

To check for Threadworms you can:

Examine your child's poo. (They are only visible when there is a heavy infestation.)

Examine your child's bottom at night with a torch. The worms come out at night to hatch their eggs.

Treatment

Although they don't cause any serious medical problems, Threadworms are easily given to others so it is only fair to treat your child as soon as they are discovered. Because there may be no sign of them, it is important the whole family is treated.

You can buy a worm treatment from your local chemist. You don't need a prescription and only one treatment is necessary. Follow all instructions on the product carefully.

It isn't necessary to treat your child on a regular basis just in case they have worms.

After treatment

After treatment, wash all nightwear in hot water and dry it in the sun.

Threadworms do not cause any long-term problems such as recurring stomach pains.

Other worms

The advertising for worm products often refers to other worms such as Hookworm and Roundworm. Despite the advertising claims, these worms are not a problem in this country.

Occasionally they may be picked up overseas, but the climate in NSW and the effective sewerage system mean it is virtually impossible for them to be spread here.

Prevention

* Make sure children wash their hands after using the toilet.

* Take extra care when changing dirty nappies and wash your hands afterwards.

* Clean toilet seats and potties regularly.

* Keep children's fingernails short.

* Discourage children from sharing food or putting things into their mouths.

* Don't allow children to eat in bed while they have Threadworms.

The best way to stop Threadworms spreading is to make sure all the family follow these personal hygiene tips.

Jacqui

I was listening to ABC radio in hubbys car and they said worms were helping to fix some intestinal problems in people . i think it was Irretable bowell syndrome and chromes disease. They were testing it on people- getting them to drink worm eggs- yukky i know- not many people were keen to particapate in the trials

This thread bought back memories of NZ 30 years ago (don't know what they do now). Everyone who had a registered dog got a notice (once a year I think) and had to take their dogs to be wormed for hydatids I think, to a nature strip somewhere woop woop. Must have been potent stuff that was administered because pet dogs regularly died horrible deaths on the nature strip while their distraught owners watched on helplessly. I remember mum getting an exemption from the vets for our old dogs. I guess it was something to do with the farm product culture. Just horrible.

I worm myself twice annually too.

Dogs are done three monthly--I guess its precautionary a s I cannot stand the idea of catching any, tho dogs never seem to show the little b******S :thumbsup:

Woudn't like to take canine tabs tho EEWW!! :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Almost(if not all) all humans have parasites. that is a known FACT. they are incredibly easy to spread.

Worms are big parasites... Many many people have them without even realizing it.

I really do think i have them.... I havent seen any in my stool..thank God..id probably die of a heart attack if i did.. :thumbsup:

i have never heard of Combantrim until now. Im looking them up online and theyre cheap. I was going to buy a colon cleanse for 60$.

What exactly is Combantrim? is it for humans? Does it WORK?

I know people eat garlic to kill and expell worms.. But i need something that really works good. Woul Combantrim be for me?

I think people need to face the facts that they have parasites and cleanse themselves. be it for worms..or just a bowel cleansing program. many ppl always feel rundown and tired.. go to the dr for help...the real problem is: parasites!

i have never heard of Combantrim until now. Im looking them up online and theyre cheap. I was going to buy a colon cleanse for 60$.

What exactly is Combantrim? is it for humans? Does it WORK?

Yep, if you have tape worms combantrim is what you want.... The thing is you have to have the worms to kill them.... It is not a preventative and wont stop you getting them in the future.... The only time I have ever wormed myself is when I knew I had been around worms and there was a possibility of having picked some up.... Otherwise there is not much point... Unless of course you are doing the kids regularly as a precaution as you do get them mostly in kids and they hang around in kindys!! :thumbsup:

As far as hydatid goes we use an all wormer that covers this because we do feed Roo to the pups and it does come from culled sources... However, most of the roo I feed them now is cooked training treats so its not a big risk at all.....

Dan

I worm the family, I worm the dogs, I worm the cat...

And if people are living with us... they get wormed too... :laugh: You should see their faces when they get told they're getting wormed!

HA HA!

And we all take worming treatments designed for the right species :thumbsup:

i have never heard of Combantrim until now.  Im looking them up online and theyre cheap.  I was going to buy a colon cleanse for 60$.

What exactly is Combantrim?  is it for humans?  Does it WORK?

Yep, if you have tape worms combantrim is what you want.... The thing is you have to have the worms to kill them.... It is not a preventative and wont stop you getting them in the future.... The only time I have ever wormed myself is when I knew I had been around worms and there was a possibility of having picked some up.... Otherwise there is not much point... Unless of course you are doing the kids regularly as a precaution as you do get them mostly in kids and they hang around in kindys!! :(

As far as hydatid goes we use an all wormer that covers this because we do feed Roo to the pups and it does come from culled sources... However, most of the roo I feed them now is cooked training treats so its not a big risk at all.....

Dan

Oh. Have any of yall actually seen any worms in your stool to know that this stuff really works?

Or does it just work as good as ppl say garlic and other herbs work?

Oh ok. Just wondering. Cus like I said i think I might have them but im too embarassed to go to the DR (Even though about all humans have parasites.. I dont want to do all of the embarassing things to test for worms :hug: )

What if I dont have worms and i take it..will it harm me?

One last question...... (Cause im really considering getting these) do they make you have to use the bathroom frequently? I need to know when it's safe to take them :(

thanks

Edited by rockstar