Labbies And Goldies

Alfie02

I have one of each too ;) Basically my husband wanted a GR and I wanted a lab. We couldn't compromise so we got one of each and now we live in a mad house! :rofl:

Holly is a GR and she is crazy! :o She's very independent and does her own thing. We got her 7 weeks before our lab and she can be quite jealous of him. She is very affectionate with my husband (enjoys a cuddle) and loves all the attention on her. She isn't food obsessed like my lab (which is strange :laugh: because so many others say that GR's are obsessed with food too). I've also heard from other GR owners that they can be quite naughty up until they're 3 to 4 years of age :D

Jett is my black labrador (my big baby) and he is such a sook :laugh: He's extremely affectionate and gentle. He doesn't have a bad bone in his body and never shows any aggression towards anyone (including Holly who can be such a bitch to him). Jett's basically my shaddow. He follows me everywhere and hates being left on his own. He also follows Holly around and gets into everything like she does. Basically Holly's the leader and Jett's the follower! Jett is more of a chewer than Holly and he absolutely adores his food. He scoffs it down before Holly has barely started! If I don't watch him, he'll try and eat her food! :rofl: He also is a drooler! ;) I often get covered in his slobber! eeewww!

So that's my two babies. I guess like all dogs, they can have very different personalities :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Goldens can be resource guarders (more so than labs), I've heard this from a number of reputable sources including a behaviourist, a guide dog trainer and quite a few goldie owners.

This is very interesting to me. I've never heard this before and yet my male golden retreiver is a dreadful resource guarder. Not from me now because I got a behaviouralist to assist but he nicks things then barks if anything goes within metres of him.

My friend's lab who is 4 is so full on. Mind you my female golden retriever who is 4 is pretty full on but not as bad as the lab. My male golden retreiver was lazy from the age of 8 weeks old :laugh: I never knew why people thought golden retreivers were alot of work when I just had him so went and got another - I certainly then learnt why :laugh:

I like both breeds and agree with statements made about them. But I do have a soft spot for the goldens. Tilly is my toy/teatowel/mummy's undies :eek: /whatever she can find carrier and will wander around or sleep always with something in her mouth :o

LOL - I have to laugh, no resource guarders here with either of my goldens. They have never shown any signs of ever being that way. They never steal anything from inside.....and would never guard their treasures, they'd prefer to share

They too love to meet you with something in their mouths whether it be the last piece of electrical cord which was hours earlier running the pool pump, or maybe the one that ran the solar heating, the bar fridge, the outdoor sound system, the internet cable, the $4k of cafe curtains, fence pailings ripped clean off the fence, holes for the new spa we hadnt planned, and anything else that wasnt bolted down!! Bedding is a thing of the past, toys are tugged apart within hours, bones are devoured, the backyard is a war zone.....

Almost 2 and 3 years old now and things look to be slowing down so I had to laugh at the posts that everyones goldens are non destructive - I obviously have the hounds from hell !!

They love the water, swim daily in the warmer months.

The eldest would do anything for a ball or food, the youngest doesnt care if food is there or not, food is not a motivator for him.

Both are soft and cuddly boys (one desexed one entire), who prefer to be around the family rather than outside. Having said that they also are happy alone and we have no problems with barking (:laugh:, the destruction makes up for it!!)

I have no idea about labs but shedding of goldens is out of this world. It is huge and life with pet hair free clothes has beome a thing of the past. We sweep twice daily, they are brushed daily and we still have tumbleweeds blowing around the house.

I love my goldens and all the destruction they have caused slowly fades from memory as each month passes :laugh:

Edited by GoldD

LOL - I have to laugh, no resource guarders here with either of my goldens. They have never shown any signs of ever being that way. They never steal anything from inside.....and would never guard their treasures, they'd prefer to share

They too love to meet you with something in their mouths whether it be the last piece of electrical cord which was hours earlier running the pool pump, or maybe the one that ran the solar heating, the bar fridge, the outdoor sound system, the internet cable, the $4k of cafe curtains, fence pailings ripped clean off the fence, holes for the new spa we hadnt planned, and anything else that wasnt bolted down!! Bedding is a thing of the past, toys are tugged apart within hours, bones are devoured, the backyard is a war zone.....

Almost 2 and 3 years old now and things look to be slowing down so I had to laugh at the posts that everyones goldens are non destructive - I obviously have the hounds from hell !!

They love the water, swim daily in the warmer months.

The eldest would do anything for a ball or food, the youngest doesnt care if food is there or not, food is not a motivator for him.

Both are soft and cuddly boys (one desexed one entire), who prefer to be around the family rather than outside. Having said that they also are happy alone and we have no problems with barking (:laugh:, the destruction makes up for it!!)

I have no idea about labs but shedding of goldens is out of this world. It is huge and life with pet hair free clothes has beome a thing of the past. We sweep twice daily, they are brushed daily and we still have tumbleweeds blowing around the house.

I love my goldens and all the destruction they have caused slowly fades from memory as each month passes :o

Whoops mummy! lol :laugh:

Lexis destructive gene has just kicked in, Tess used to have a people pillow she slept on, it was the perfect size for her crate...one day I came home and that pillow was nothing but fluff lol

Edited by GoldenGirl85

I never had a lot to do with either breed before I got Lexi, Goldens were always my favourite breed, but I didnt even join this forum until after I got Lexi and was poorly educated, I knew Labs to be the boofier of the two, and I didnt know how much that would affect temperament, but other than that I was under the impression that Labs would always end up overweight, I was so used to seeing fat labs, but I didnt often see fat Goldies, I wanted a dog I could do agility with, Goldies seemed like the best option, and lucky for me Ive always wanted to own one. Just want to add its so good to see so many healthy and fit Labs on this forum :laugh:

I'm so glad you've since learnt that fat Labradors are not a breed fault, but an owner fault! :laugh:

It's been interesting to learn the differences between the Golden and Lab, both beautiful breeds I have always liked. Does anyone know where a Flat Coated Retriever sits in the Goldie/Lab scenario.........not trying to derail the thread just that the Flat Coat has similar looks and temperament from what I have seen and interested to know if a Flatty is more like a Goldie, Lab or different again???

my GR is very soft and forgiving. wonderful with the children and basically all she wants from life is to be around the family. Not on top of us, but involved at least. She also brings presents, usually shoes or teddies :laugh:

Oh and she smiles :o and eats :laugh:

Eta- spelling

Edited by joelle

I've known both breeds of both extremes. But generally what the breed books and breeders say are right in regards to their temperament. Both very sweet and jovial, and very trainable. With adequate exercise and attention they can fit into a lot of dog loving homes, as opposed to the more 'difficult ones'. So they are pretty special, and pretty versatile.

I've never been into owning a Labrador myself, and the publics enjoyment (and frustrations put me off, though truthfully they were never really considered).

That said, if the right puppy is picked from either litter, then I'm sure you would be happy with your decision, as they do share a lot of similarities. What face makes you gooey eyed? Don't get too scientific, go with the emotional pull. :laugh:

5 or so years ago I did consider the Golden Retriever, and whist they can be completely endearing and true sweet hearts, I think I would chose the Labrador as they just seem in my experience to have stronger nerve and more of a gun dog drive. Again, both breeds quite capable of many performance events but I'd choose the Labrador.

Flat Coated Retrievers remind me of Peter Pan, the dogs that never want to grow up. :laugh: I really like them! And I'd be interested to hear their pros and cons, as the cons I've heard are mostly health related, and that some like to bark.. a lot.

Our Goldie was a very soft dog, but not at all nervy. She was not a destructo too much, she did dig as a young 'un and always stole things to carry in her mouth and greet visitors with (yep, even my knickers :laugh: ) but never chewed up her stolen treasures.

She was raised her first 12 months with her litter brother, I'm not sure whether or not that contributed, but she did gaurd food (only from other dogs, not people or cats) even though she was not food motivated and didn't particularly want to eat the food she was guarding.

I'd have another in a heart beat, but fear it would be difficult (for my daughter especially) to have a look-alike Lucy around.

On a side note, she once greeted a council compliance officer at the front gate with a stolen can of beer. He thought she rocked and went back to his car to get his camera and take a pic. Way to bribe the council Lucy!

The head of the flat coat is quite different to that of the lab and goldie (which i find very similar).

They also tend to be leggier than the lab or golden.

There is one that comes down to the beach where we go to and it is water obsessed! It will not leave the water the whole time and soends all of its time fishing. They don't seem as boisterous as a lab or goldie though.

sorry had to add that the drool and slobbering with labs is quite bad.

Edited by aussielover

The breeder I got Scout from breeds both Goldies and Labs :laugh:

My opinion is that both dogs are beautiful dogs and if you devote the time an energy into finding a great reg breeder and have a commitment to training the dog you will have a devoted, loyal and loving member of the family! which ever of the two you choose!

GREAT CHOICE IN DOGS :thumbsup:

I've known both breeds of both extremes. But generally what the breed books and breeders say are right in regards to their temperament. Both very sweet and jovial, and very trainable. With adequate exercise and attention they can fit into a lot of dog loving homes, as opposed to the more 'difficult ones'. So they are pretty special, and pretty versatile.

I've never been into owning a Labrador myself, and the publics enjoyment (and frustrations put me off, though truthfully they were never really considered).

That said, if the right puppy is picked from either litter, then I'm sure you would be happy with your decision, as they do share a lot of similarities. What face makes you gooey eyed? Don't get too scientific, go with the emotional pull. :laugh:

5 or so years ago I did consider the Golden Retriever, and whist they can be completely endearing and true sweet hearts, I think I would chose the Labrador as they just seem in my experience to have stronger nerve and more of a gun dog drive. Again, both breeds quite capable of many performance events but I'd choose the Labrador.

Flat Coated Retrievers remind me of Peter Pan, the dogs that never want to grow up. :thumbsup: I really like them! And I'd be interested to hear their pros and cons, as the cons I've heard are mostly health related, and that some like to bark.. a lot.

A friend of ours had a black Flatcoat in the late 80's, she was a beautiful dog with the most gorgeous soft shiny coat midway between a Golden and Lab coat. She was a barker too with a keen ear and very territorial in the back yard unlike the stranger friendliness of most Goldens and Labs. She would never let a stranger in the side gate without the owners invitation I recall. She crossed the bridge with HD in the end at nearly 13 but had suffered for a few years prior.

Fiona :rofl:

The head of the flat coat is quite different to that of the lab and goldie (which i find very similar).

There is one that comes down to the beach where we go to and it is water obsessed! It will not leave the water the whole time and soends all of its time fishing. They don't seem as boisterous as a lab or goldie though.

Yes, the head of the one I met was slightly more "setter-like", but I would say closer to a GR than a Lab.

I would love to know the temperament and exercise differences of a Flat Coat too- the white fur of my Goldie shows up too much on my mostly black clothes! :thumbsup:

I believe that GRs were originally bred from FCs? But I have heard they are more boisterous than GRs.

Edited by ✽deelee

Noooooooooo Dee!!!! You must stay true to the goldens!!!

I do so love my goldens! Once during a training session Bitty offered me everything under the sun but not quite what I wanted. As a last resort, she ran to the paper trash can, pulled out a used tissue and ran back to offer it to me with a look that said "Hang on Mummy! Was THIS what you wanted?"! :thumbsup:

Noooooooooo Dee!!!! You must stay true to the goldens!!!

I do so love my goldens! Once during a training session Bitty offered me everything under the sun but not quite what I wanted. As a last resort, she ran to the paper trash can, pulled out a used tissue and ran back to offer it to me with a look that said "Hang on Mummy! Was THIS what you wanted?"! :laugh:

:rofl: The things we teach our goldens :rofl:

And yes Dee, you MUST stay true to the Goldens - a Flat Coat is way more crazy than a Goldie, just ask ILFC (who used to be ILoveFlatCoats) who has Grover - he is 4 (?) and a nutcase. They are known as the Peter Pan of dog breeds because they never actually grow up.

You really don't want a Flat Coat, you want another Goldie, you really really do! :thumbsup:

Edited by Golden Rules

Yes, the head of the one I met was slightly more "setter-like", but I would say closer to a GR than a Lab.

I would love to know the temperament and exercise differences of a Flat Coat too- the white fur of my Goldie shows up too much on my mostly black clothes! :thumbsup:

I believe that GRs were originally bred from FCs? But I have heard they are more boisterous than GRs.

I have also heard they are more boisterous but in my experience of a whole 2 flatcoats :rofl: they have been calmer than the average goldie or lab.

Maybe they were just freaks of the breed though.

Honey is so beautiful in both looks and personality (from what i've read). How could you even think of another breed LOL :rofl:

I love the "white" goldens i think they are just so pretty :rofl:

I wouldn't love having to clean them up after a romp ion the mud or a swim though :laugh:

:cry:

You guys are so funny!!

Don't worry, my heart belongs to Goldies! Especially the blondies (obviously).

Maybe I'll just change my wardrobe to all white instead of black!! :confused:

:( I changed our lounge from cream to charcoal! Cause I couldn't handle the fur. looks like I'm destined to stay with black labs now :laugh:

Edited by black magic

:cry:

You guys are so funny!!

Don't worry, my heart belongs to Goldies! Especially the blondies (obviously).

Maybe I'll just change my wardrobe to all white instead of black!! :confused:

:( I changed our lounge from cream to charcoal! Cause I couldn't handle the fur. looks like I'm destined to stay with black labs now :laugh:

No matter what I wear, I have fur all over me. With a grey cat, a black lab and a GR, I can't win! :)