Question Of What I Guess You Could Call Morals

Rach...

I am 18 and have been looking very hard at getting a job in Industry (I am currently studying a Cert III in companion animal services)

I refuse to buy products from petstores that sell puppies, highly against it.

There is an opening at the petstore at my local shopping centre, it would be a great opportunity because I know what I am talking about and I can learn more and more

Only problem is, there is puppies and other animals sold from this petshop. I am trying to think, if I just try for the job and get it and keep it until I can find something else or stand by what I believe

I am desperate for a new job, because my other one is horrible and I have been trying for a few months.

:laugh:

Edited by Rach...

When I was younger I thought working in a pet shop would be my dream job - I worked in one for three weeks and left in tears. It might be worth a shot, but don't go in there expecting to change things. :laugh: I also wouldn't count on learning anything there.

I couldn't live with myself if I supported the sale of animals in pet shops by working there and selling puppies, it is so far removed from my code of ethics that I couldn't do it. I won't even buy things from pet stores that sell puppies and kittens. But everyone is different and what is ethical to one person is not to another.

I don't get how you could be highly against it but would still consider working there and selling the puppies??

Edited by huski

I have applied at woolies, kmart, big w, all those kind of chain stores, kennels, groomers, vets, every opening on seek that is even remotely possible for me, i have done resume drops at various stores, had a few interviews but nothing... =( its getting quite horrible, because I know I am good at my current job, I am just more expensive than a 14 year old so dont get many shifts at all

I would say no. You would be compromising your morals and beliefs just for a job. Believe me when I say it is not worth it :laugh:

I did the TAFE Animal Care course and through doing work experience as part of the course (had never thought about working in a pet shop before) I was offered a job and ended up working there for a couple of years off and on. At first I loved it, cuddling puppies and kittens, checking out new products, sharing my 'knowledge' with customers plus it was exciting knowing that a family was adding a cute new member (I was really good with customers - one even named their dog after me!). Got sick of it after a while, went elsewhere, hated THAT job so came back as I knew the job well. Lasted for a little bit longer, then left again when I was starting to hate what was happening in the shop and the whole animals in petshops thing. They rang me a year or so later begging me to come back and as we needed the money I went back. Lasted a bit longer again then never went back into that shop.

I would literally be ill before going to work thinking that I would have to try to sell an animal (by this stage I wasn't selling ANY animal if I could help it and I would talk people out of purchases - just the person you really want to be working in a sales role). I used to justify my working there by saying that at least I can teach customers about registered breeders and purebreds and how to use products and training etc etc. and that the animals were being cared for as much they could be. The girls I worked with were great and very caring but they weren't knowledgable about breeds or even things like crate training or BARF or the right way to put on a check chain or what puppy farms were really like. We did what we could for the pups but I knew it wasn't enough :laugh:

Working there was affecting me so much because it WAS against everything I believed in. I hate that I may have contributed to dogs ending up in rescue and supporting byb and puppy farms (they did at one stage get pups from ACA but then ended up using local byb). Now I don't purchase things from places that sell puppies or kittens and won't ever buy an animal from a petshop no matter how much I want to get the cute little rabbit or bird- I will now only go through proper breeders or rescue.

So, NO don't do it if you don't believe in it.

Edited by kendall

I am 18 and have been looking very hard at getting a job in Industry (I am currently studying a Cert III in companion animal services)

I refuse to buy products from petstores that sell puppies, highly against it.

There is an opening at the petstore at my local shopping centre, it would be a great opportunity because I know what I am talking about and I can learn more and more

Only problem is, there is puppies and other animals sold from this petshop. I am trying to think, if I just try for the job and get it and keep it until I can find something else or stand by what I believe

I am desperate for a new job, because my other one is horrible and I have been trying for a few months.

:crazy:

No petshops that sell animals are good. But some are far better than others. And you do need a job.

So I say, apply for the job, go for the interview, then ask them about their policies about purchasing & rehoming puppies. Be polite - you can say that it's an issue that concerns you since they talk about it a lot on your course, for example. If the answers about where the pups come from & who they are sold to are acceptable to you (not ideal, but acceptable), and you think the boss is a good person & open to ideas, then I'd say go for the job & try to change them from inside. :mad

It will never be ideal. But if it's a typical shoddy pet store, then you could possibly also do a lot of good there, if the boss will listen to your ideas. Such as to get the shop to do home checks before selling animals, get them to only buy large breed puppies with hip scores, trying to persuade them to work in partnership with the local shelter to sell pound animals not BYB animals, getting them to desex the animals before selling them (or selling them with a desex voucher included), or to only taking BYB animals to sell for free (i.e., don't pay the BYB for them so the BYB doesn't make a profit & isn't as tempted to do it again).

I don't get how you could be highly against it but would still consider working there and selling the puppies??

Because she said she's desperate for a job..

But she has a job?

I'm just responding to the question asked in the OP. I personally couldn't do it. I can't see how someone so strongly against it could do it either, that's JMO.

I couldn't do it. I work part time for a pet supplies, who had animals in the past, currently do not, but are considering adding them again. If this becomes a reality, I will be out the door before anyone can blink.

Just keep adding to your skills base and seek work experience in the industry, I know if someone was keen, I'd give them a hand gaining experience.

If this pet store is in a shopping centre then we have a good idea what it is and I can tell you that they (if indeed it is the one I'm thinking of) will have no interest in changing anything they do. Money is the main objective and morals, knowledge and ethics don't really come into it at all. Even if the 'owners' are interested in doing things differently they won't be allowed to or they are in breach of rules for operating that particular franchise. If it is them Don't do it.

I'd apply and then worry about whether or not is is truly appropriate if you applicaton goes any further.

I've worked at places where I ended up leaving because the morality of those around me was a little challenging to reconcile after awhile. I only lasted as long as I did, because I felt I was making the animals lives better by being there and ensuring SOMEone cared for them.

If the place isn't as bad as others, it is still good practical, out in the workforce experience and will make your resume look a little more appealing to other job prospects.

So have a go, and see how it sits for as long as it sits right.

It will never be ideal. But if it's a typical shoddy pet store, then you could possibly also do a lot of good there, if the boss will listen to your ideas. Such as to get the shop to do home checks before selling animals, get them to only buy large breed puppies with hip scores, trying to persuade them to work in partnership with the local shelter to sell pound animals not BYB animals, getting them to desex the animals before selling them (or selling them with a desex voucher included), or to only taking BYB animals to sell for free (i.e., don't pay the BYB for them so the BYB doesn't make a profit & isn't as tempted to do it again).

:crazy::mad

And if you don't try, you will never know Rach. Personally, I would rather try and fail than never try at all. :rofl:

When applying for a job you now what you are applying for.

This is a Pet shop that sells animals as part of your job you now you have to sell what is in that shop.

To be honest if your not prepared to do what this job requires then i wouldn't apply .

You aren't going to change what isn't broken in the pet shops view & as already mentioned what that franchise practices are.

I guess the main thing is you hate your current job but you atleast have a job.

If you resign from that job to work at this place & then resign in a few weeks where will you work considering you say you are having issues getting the jobs your applying for