Photos From 70 Years Ago

Loving my Oldies

I put these in the Pointers thread, but thought others would enjoy them as much as I enjoy showing them :):laugh: .

This is Buller, my father's "heart" dog. The photo is from a 70-year old negative that I found amongst the mountain of photographs when my mother died. I decided to have the negs developed and was stunned that after so many years the negatives developed so beautifully. When my father died, I slipped a copy of this photograph into his suit pocket when we visited him in the funeral parlour.

Buller.jpg

Going through the photographs again in this past week, I found this one on the back of which my father had written "The complete family":

DadDogandBuller.jpg

And another - I don't know who the second dog is sadly:

Jackincarwithdogs.jpg

Oh Wow, what great photographs, what treasures for you! He really loved his dogs didn't he. Look at the beautiful old queenslanders in the background. Thanks for posting these. :eek:

I know...... aren't they fabulous. I am trying to establish whether one of them is the house his parents and other members of the family from time to time lived in at Graceville. Demolished now, sadly, with town houses built there.

I thought the photographs were taken at different places, but I have been studying them and I think they are taken on the same street, but on each side of the street and at different places on the street.

Quite possibly taken on the same day, car might have even been parked in the same place, just a pic taken from 2 angles.

It looked like a well to do area for the day, the houses are all really nice, well kept, good fences, all very neat. I wouldn't mind living on that street today if it still looked like that.

Quite possibly taken on the same day, car might have even been parked in the same place, just a pic taken from 2 angles.

It looked like a well to do area for the day, the houses are all really nice, well kept, good fences, all very neat. I wouldn't mind living on that street today if it still looked like that.

I've never been there :eek: . In the second photo, the house nearest the rear wheels of the car, is in the distance on the other side of the street in the first photograph.

do you think so. It's got a coconut palm out front though. I cant see it in the other pic. I thought the photographer might have just taken two pics with the car in the same spot so we're just seeing both sides of the street.

You are right about the palm - I was looking at the shape of the "cut outs" in the verandahs of the houses and didn't even notice that.

If you are right about how the photographs were taken, whoever was taking the photos would have been on the footpath to the front and side of the car, then he or she would have moved onto the road and dad must have moved to the other side of the seat to let Buller look directly at the photographer and the other dog just changed position on the back of the car.

Dad then had two Setters, Glennie and Scarlet. From the dates on some of the photos, Scarlet was just a pup in 1940 whilst Glennie was an adult dog. They must have had pups at some stage as there is a photo of my eldest sister as a toddler with puppies. I don't know what happened after that, because there are many photos of us as babies, toddlers and growing up, but the dogs don't appear again.

Wow, your dad looks like someone out of The Great Gatsby in that pic of him on the lawn. It's so good to see that they really loved those dogs. Just fabulous photos, all of them. Do you have any uncles or aunties who might be able to tell you about the photos?

Wow, your dad looks like someone out of The Great Gatsby in that pic of him on the lawn. It's so good to see that they really loved those dogs. Just fabulous photos, all of them. Do you have any uncles or aunties who might be able to tell you about the photos?

My father was born in 1909 and was the youngest of 8. He died in 2000 a few weeks short of his 91st birthday so there is no one left of his generation. During my recent trip to Brisbane, I met a woman whose father would have been my cousin and she is a few years older than I am :eek:.

In later years, my mother did write on a lot of the photos; I am just curious as to some dates from 1935 to 1939 and the order in which things happened and mum didn't put dates on the ones that would through some light on this.

I will be sending the photograph of the dad in the car in the street to see if any of my cousins recognise it. A couple of them actually lived in the house in Graceville so if it is there, they will know.

This is for Kirislin - :eek: . Hard to believe that I lived in this house in 1957-1958. The term "Queenslander" was virtually unknown then (at least in small country towns) and it wasn't until about 10 years ago looking through my photograph album that I realised how beautiful our house was - but only on the outside; inside was very unhappy :laugh: . My bedroom was the louvred room on the right hand corner.

HouseatCunnamulla.jpg

Edited by Mother Moocher