Puppy Farm Awareness Rally

Nekhbet

I certainly don't support Baillieu's pledge. In fact I am very against his proposals. And I don't support making life difficult for ethical breeders.

I do have problems however with some people's arguments "why should I let someone into my home" and "who should have the right to tell me what I can and can't do with my dogs"......

If you are breeding and selling "anything" you should be transparent, open to scrutiny and open to inspection. No matter what your business. And as with anything else that is sold, you have to have regulation to protect the animals in your care and to protect the people purchasing from you.

Every one of us that sell things do so under legislation. Why are you so special?

Well it soon will not be a problem for you, the large scale breeding facilities will be inspected and any small breeders that are still around.

Now if you are buying a puppy from an inspected and approved large scale breeding facility, I am not sure if you as the buyer will be able to visit the mum and pups. Play with them, temperament test the litter and have weekly updates and discussions about the pups as they grow with their breeder like you might have done in the past with a home breeders. Which BTW would have given you ample time to scrutinize how the pups and dogs were managed in the breeders home. But I am sure the staff member on duty that day at the facility will be able to answer any questions you have. You will also know that the large scale breeding facility has passed inspection and is approved to breed and sell puppies. So it seems you will have ample opportunity to get a pup from an inspected source.

For the greater good.

I'm not all that interested in made up hypotheticals......

I was hoping for an answer to the questions posed

intersting thinking? so when was the last time Harvey Normans owner had his home inspected, Dick Smith for that matter?

or do u mean if a dog owner actually wished their home not to be raided. do not keep your dogs at home? rent a shop? warehouse? industrial area? for the purpose?

seems a sensible idea. so if your home is not to be expected to be " transparent, open to scrutiny and open to inspection." you dont keep any or sell anyliving organisms . ie dogs, cats or any other form of animal life?

i had already come to that conclusion

Edited by asal

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I certainly don't support Baillieu's pledge. In fact I am very against his proposals. And I don't support making life difficult for ethical breeders.

I do have problems however with some people's arguments "why should I let someone into my home" and "who should have the right to tell me what I can and can't do with my dogs"......

If you are breeding and selling "anything" you should be transparent, open to scrutiny and open to inspection. No matter what your business. And as with anything else that is sold, you have to have regulation to protect the animals in your care and to protect the people purchasing from you.

Every one of us that sell things do so under legislation. Why are you so special?

Well it soon will not be a problem for you, the large scale breeding facilities will be inspected and any small breeders that are still around.

Now if you are buying a puppy from an inspected and approved large scale breeding facility, I am not sure if you as the buyer will be able to visit the mum and pups. Play with them, temperament test the litter and have weekly updates and discussions about the pups as they grow with their breeder like you might have done in the past with a home breeders. Which BTW would have given you ample time to scrutinize how the pups and dogs were managed in the breeders home. But I am sure the staff member on duty that day at the facility will be able to answer any questions you have. You will also know that the large scale breeding facility has passed inspection and is approved to breed and sell puppies. So it seems you will have ample opportunity to get a pup from an inspected source.

For the greater good.

intersting thinking? so when was the last time Harvey Normans owner had his home inspected, Dick Smith for that matter?

or do u mean if a dog owner actually wished their home not to be raided. do not keep your dogs at home? rent a shop for the purpose?

Totally not relevant if he doesn't conduct his business on his premises.

For the greater good.

Me special, not at all. That is why I will stop breeding and leave that to those who want to conduct a business. I worked for years in the second most regulated industry in the world, the only thing more regulated was nuclear. I was an expert at interpreting and meeting regulations, writing and implementing policies and procedures of those regulations, not to mention educating the staff on compliance.

I am retired now, too old for all the stuff anymore. I bred for the pleasure of seeing the pups grow up and to get my next dog. Not a problem, I can do other things in my retirement that does not require heaps of regulations and inspections. Besides I have been at it for 2o+ years, bred more than my fair share of exceptional dogs, it is time to move over and let the new inspected and approved large scale breeding facilities have their go.

For the greater good.

Edited by shortstep

For the greater good.

Me special, not at all. That is why I will stop breeding and leave that to those who want to conduct a business. I worked for years in the second most regulated industry in the world, the only thing more regulated was nuclear. I was an expert at interpreting and meeting regulations, writing and implementing policies and procedures of those regulations, not to mention educating the staff on compliance.

I am retired now, too old for all the stuff anymore. I bred for the pleasure of seeing the pups grow up and to get my next dog. Not a problem, I can do other things in my retirement that does not require heaps of regulations and inspections. Besides I have been at it for 2o+ years, bred more than my fair share of exceptional dogs, it is time to move over and let the new inspected and approved large scale breeding facilities have their go.

For the greater good.

Still not answered........ :laugh:

For the greater good.

or do u mean if a dog owner actually wished their home not to be raided. do not keep your dogs at home? rent a shop for the purpose?

Totally not relevant if he doesn't conduct his business on his premises.

Yes you are correct, we need to inspect every person who is a dog breeding business (and I edited -am sure- real soon we will inspect every dog owner too).

It is just that most home breeders are not going to want to be a dog breeding business. That is where the new inspected and approved large scale breeding facilities came into play to produce the pups for the famlies of Australia. You then are getting what you want, pups from inspected businesses and notsome person's home bred pup, from a person like me who thinks they know how to bred dogs. Now you will get your pups from a buisness that breeds and raises the pups to the lowest possible acceptable inspected and approved standard (now there is business regulation compliance concept you might want to wrap your head around).

So we concede. Home breeders for the most are not dog breeding businesses, and most will stop breeding and you get what you wanted.

For the greater good.

Night

Edited by shortstep

For the greater good.

For the greater good.

Still not answered........ :laugh:

Just not sure how to help you out then.

Try thinking about it more at some other time.

Night.

Steve
and the pet shop industry says thats not true - we dont source our puppies from puppy farmers

Pet shops source 70 - 90% of their stock from puppy farms. I don't care who said what and who is ducking and weaving, that is fact. The puppies are presented in good condition, and eminently purchasable, apart from the ones with parvo, as those regularly supplied by a recently prosecuted Qld pf.

The pups dont look llke the parents, you know, it takes a while to get dogs into that despicable condition.

Just to clarify - my definition of a puppy farm is an agricultural establishment, were dogs are kept as agricultural animals, in sheds or paddocks,with only sufficient human interaction to maintain life

Steve

In July I sat at a table beside kate Scoffeld and Fiona Douglas - the president and the CEO of the Australian Association of Pet Dog Breeders and any hint that Oscars law or any other will ever stop commercial breeding of puppies is so far off being even conceivably possible its a joke.The RSPCA know this and its why the definition of a puppy farmer si someone who breeds dogs in substandard conditions to keep us all on the same level

I hope you disenfected your hands afterwards.

That may be so, but the definition of a PF by the RSPCA is incorrect, and is intended to be be used to control registered breeders, not necessarily puppy farmers.

Breeders will not lie down for that.

BAN THE SALE OF PUPS IN PET SHOPS.

IT IS POSSIBLE. IT CAN BE DONE ONE A STATE BASIS, ON WELFARE GROUNDS, AND NOT ON FAIRTRADING LAWS.

There can be NO 'IMPROVEMENT" TO PUPPY FARMS.

There can only be bans.

For the sake of the dogs. voiceless and suffering horrible torture day after day

The RSPCA has the means to inspect and remove dogs, councils have the right to make determinations in some areas Force them to do that.

And I still think the rally was a good thing

Some Pet shops may source 70% of puppies from what you call puppy farms. What you call puppy farms are regulated,have to fit with state building codes and mandatory codes for breeding establishments. Pet shops are regulated and have to fit with mandatory codes, constant inspection by the public and spot inspections.The pet shop industry says they dont source any puppies from what the RSPCA call puppy farms and there is no evidence to prove thats not true.

I have heard pollies from both sides give speeches to tell us if they gain majority that they will give RSPCA more power.So far the only politician Ive heard who made any comment or move to stop puppies being sold in pet shops was Clover Moore. There are people working right now with AAWS which is designed to look at animal welfare issues at a federal level and that isn't showing any signs of considering abolishing pets in pet shops either.Considering who is on that panel its highly unlikely and its being seen to be an animal rights issue rather than an animal welfare issue.

Yelling about banning puppies in pet shops isnt going to get puppies banned from pet shops all its going to do is get more regulations on breeders.

Licencing all breeders especially if they do what they want to do and use the gold coast pilot as a model will shut down more registered breeders.

Owning one entire bitch brings an inspection and a fee and already we have heard what some are doing to avoid it. Selling one puppy without a licence number brings you under the gun and every puppy sold by you is recorded on their data base. Gone are the days when some breeders had more than their shire said they could have on their property living in their homes,where if council was coming they could take the dogs off to another property until the inspection was done because now they have methods of spotting you anyway. They could still manage to have the dogs inside their homes and whelp their puppies under foot.Now building codes tell them where to have their kennels and how they will be constructed IF they are able to own more than 2 dogs anyway and so the breeders who were breeding puppies in their home with their breeding dogs living as part of the family become those breeders who have to house their dogs in kennels because if they want to continue to breed they have no choice. Spot inspections by RSPCA turning up 20 or so dogs living in your house against the laws? Nothing to worry about - right?

Breeders on the gold coast have worked out some great ways of getting around this licence and getting caught but there is one thing that will happen which will stop that and its coming because its what this is really all about - giving the RSPCA power Australia wide to do spot inspections on breeders and police council laws and mandatory codes - the pollies in Victoria have now promised they will get it there. Queensland has just hit the news with petitions to stop sales of pets in pet shops and its only a matter of time before they are given more power there to police council regs too.

One more thing - just as we see happening in NSW where rescue are being told they have to have concreted pens to fit council by laws by the RSPCA or shut down it wont be only breeders who pay for this push for new laws.

Edited by Steve

Here's some homework. Today pick up the phone and call your local shire councils.Ask to speak to the people in planning not in animal control - just for a minute forget about the mandatory codes for breeding dogs associated with POCTA and companion animals and ask them what you have to do and what you need to cover to be able to run a business of breeding dogs or keeping rescue dogs from time to time from your home.

Remember in NSW that definition is anyone who is involved in the activity of breeding dogs even one litter or anyone who ever has a rescue dog waiting for rehoming on their property. In Victoria its anyone who owns more than 5 fertile bitches - even though ANKC says you can own 10 if you are one of their members most councils will say 5 anyway etc.

This one is for Bundaberg - any more than 2 dogs.

Kennels comply with the following requirements:

a. All animals are housed within the kennels between the hours of 7.00pm and 7.00am.

b. Noise levels do not exceed background noise level between the hours of 7.00pm and 7.00am when measured at the boundary of the site.

c. The owner or his/her representative is resident on the property.

d. All animals are exercised only within the property boundaries.

a. The animals are at all times kept in an enclosure located not less than 15m from any residential building on the site, except for veterinary facilities provided in connection with a kennel.

b. The kennels are constructed of brick, masonry, concrete or other similar soundproof materials and include a fenced enclosure to effectively lessen noise and to form a visual barrier; and

c. The minimum size of an allotment upon which kennels are constructed is three hectares.

d. Fencing is provided and maintained to prevent the escape of animals; and

e. All wastes are disposed of into an approved waste disposal facility.

Setback

Stockyard, Kennel or Cattery

Road Frontage

50m

Side or Rear Boundary

30m

Any Dwelling on surrounding land

400m

Land in Residential Precinct

800m

a. All animals are housed within the kennels between the hours of 7.00pm and 7.00am.

:confused: That's terrible.

Maybe what Souff said about the licensing?? For anybody who breeds?

Can't believe the RSPCA has no ombudsman, that should change immediately. I am not against them, but no-one should have that much power, unchecked.

Regulations already in place concerning conditions to be more enforced.

Things like the above council regulation need to be changed though.

As a parent, I wouldn't be welcoming surprise home inspections from DOCS just because some numbnuts a suburb away can't raise children without beating them.

I couldn't see any parent welcoming that.

b. Noise levels do not exceed background noise level between the hours of 7.00pm and 7.00am when measured at the boundary of the site.

c. The owner or his/her representative is resident on the property.

d. All animals are exercised only within the property boundaries.

a. The animals are at all times kept in an enclosure located not less than 15m from any residential building on the site, except for veterinary facilities provided in connection with a kennel.

b. The kennels are constructed of brick, masonry, concrete or other similar soundproof materials and include a fenced enclosure to effectively lessen noise and to form a visual barrier; and

c. The minimum size of an allotment upon which kennels are constructed is three hectares.

d. Fencing is provided and maintained to prevent the escape of animals; and

e. All wastes are disposed of into an approved waste disposal facility.

Setback

Stockyard, Kennel or Cattery

Road Frontage

50m

Side or Rear Boundary

30m

Any Dwelling on surrounding land

400m

Land in Residential Precinct

800m

Using that as an example,

I think most of the new large scale breeding establishments will not have a problem with this, will make any adjustments needed and be inspected and approved. Certainly for the greater good.

For smaller breeders with more than 2 dogs (the most common ANKC breeder), being 400m from your nearest neighbor will mean most will have to move to properties. But seeing as they are not allowed to exercise their 3 or more dogs off their property, they will need a really big place anyway. This will change their life style from a pet owner to commercial breeder with dogs in kennels. So they would have to be willing and able to do this to their dogs and themselves. Most will not be willing or able, and will stop breeding. That is certainly for the greater good.

Breeders with 2 or less dogs can stay home. This will mean that most breeders of this type are very short term, a few litters at most (and they can not even keep a puppy which is the motive most would normally have) and then it is done and dusted for 10-15 years until the 2 dogs to pass on. Not sure how many would breed more then one litter and only if they only had 1 dog, so that they could keep a pup.

However this will easily accommodate the very common breeders that I call BYB, people who breed and own dogs only to make money. They will breed each of the 2 dogs to the max limit, then dispose of these 2 dogs and replace with 2 new dogs and start again. Since they are not registered breeders, they will likely escape notice and inspections. Certainly for the greater good.

Looks about right to me.

For the greater good.

Beaudesert local laws

Prescribed activity

5 For the purposes of the definition of animal keeping in section 2 (Definitions of prescribed

activities) of the Schedule of Local Law No 7 (Licensing), the prescribed activity of animal

keeping shall include:

(a) the keeping of a guard dog; or

(b) the keeping of an animal work dog; or

© a hobby kennel or commercial kennel; or

(d) the keeping of 3 or 4 dogs as part of domestic dog keeping; or

(e) the keeping of more than 4 cats over the age of 6 months; or

(f) the keeping of more than 20 poultry over the age of 3 months (other than as part

of the environmentally relevant activity of poultry farming as defined under the

Environmental Protection Regulation 1998).

Grant of a licence

8 For the purposes of section 7(1)(f) (Grant of a licence) of Local Law No 7 (Licensing), the

local government may grant a licence for the operation of animal keeping if satisfied that:

(a) the operation of animal keeping can be lawfully conducted on the premises; and

(b) the operation of animal keeping does not contravene the Animal Protection Act

1925; and

© the matters which are the subject of the conditions specified in section 9

(Conditions of a licence) of this subordinate local law which are relevant to the

operation of animal keeping can be adequately addressed by the imposition of

those conditions.

Conditions of a licence

9 For the purposes of section 9(3) (Conditions of a licence) of Local Law No 7 (Licensing),

the local government may impose all or any of the following conditions on a licence for the

operation of animal keeping;

(a) All animal enclosures must be provided and maintained in such a manner so as to:

(i) be clean and in a sanitary condition; and

(ii) prevent any animal from escaping from the approved premises; and

(iii) be kept within an area on the approved premises which is specified in the

conditions of the licence; and

(iv) not become deteriorated; and

(v) avoid injury to the animal; and (vi) permit regular cleaning of all the internal and all external surfaces of the

enclosures and regular checking of any animals within the animal

enclosures; and

(vii) be impervious and able to be easily and readily cleaned and effectively

disinfected; and

(viii) ensure the comfort of animals and the prevention of disease.

(b) All animal enclosures must be sprayed or dusted with insecticide, larvicide or

disinfectant, for the purpose of fly, insect and disease control;

(i) to the manufacturers’ instructions; and

(ii) whilst the animals are removed from the animal enclosures.

© All animal enclosures must be treated with effective and appropriate disinfectants

at least once a week.

(d) All animal enclosures must be cleaned and disinfected and if necessary

insecticided or larvicided before the introduction of a replacement animal.

(e) Waste waters from animals from the washing down of floors, surfaces, enclosures

and other ares must be collected and drained to an approved pre-treatment device

before discharge to the sewerage system.

(f) A trade waste approval must be held by the holder of the licence in accordance

with the Sewerage and Supply Act 1949;

(g) Manure and offensive matters must be cleaned up at least once each day and then

placed forthwith into a flyproof covered waste container.

(h) All waste containers must be collected from the premises at least weekly and the

contents disposed of in an approved manner.

(i) Feed must be stored in fly and vermin proof containers (j) Feed and water containers used by the animals must be of impervious, smooth

construction, non-toxic and able to be easily cleaned and disinfected.

(k) Feed that has spoiled or deteriorated must be removed and disposed of in a waste

container.

(l) Spilled feed must be immediately collected and disposed of in a waste container.

(m) The holder of the licence must upon discovering the existence of a dead animal

remove such an animal to a lawful place of disposal.

(n) An animal which contracts or is suspected of contracting any disease must be

isolated and a veterinary surgeon must be engaged as soon as is reasonably

practicable to treat the animal.

(o) The approved premises including all surfaces such as walls, floors, ceilings

fixtures and fittings must be kept clean and disinfected at all times.

(p) An animal must not be displayed or exposed for sale as part of the approved

premises.

(q) Cloths, towels or material used in the animal keeping must be maintained in a

clean condition and washed in an effective disinfectant.

® The approved premises must at all times to be kept free of flies and vermin.

(s) The floors, walls and ceiling of the approved premises must be finished with an

easily washable surface coating.

(t) The floor must be covered with an easily washable smooth finished surface and

must be sealed so to be free from cracks and crevices.

(u) A wash tub of sufficient size to clean cages must be installed and fitted with hot

and cold running water. The wall behind the tub must be provided with splash

back tiles to a minimum height of 300mm (v) The animal keeping operations must be suitably and continuously ventilated to

ensure that all the animal housing areas are free of dampness, nuisance odours and

dust emissions.

(w) The situation and nature of the approved premises must be such that the operation

of animal keeping must not cause a nuisance to neighbouring premises.

(x) The operation of animal keeping must comply with the Environmental Protection

Act 1994.

(y) The animals must wear or display an identifying tag specified by the local

government.

Can you clarify if those requirements are for hobby breeders, which would encompass most ANKC registered breeders, or only for those who run a registered business breedings dogs?

Yes.

Look up what each state classifies as a business of breeding dogs and then look at what shire by laws cut in.

NSW is anyone who breeds a litter.

Victoria is 5 or more entire bitches.

I agree. I would be happy to be inspected if it meant places that weren't up to standard were being shut down.

I know that breeders feel strongly about their rights, but this isn't about the breeders rights, it's about the dogs rights.

Ya think?

Can someone (computer/dol savvy) cut/paste save this thread, so I can retrieve it from the archives and staple it to a few foreheads?

They cant see it now, but they will see in retrospect.

Edited by lilli

Happening right now.

One person who owns 2 dogs in NSW - In NSW companion animals act says you can have as many on your premises as you like.

This person happens to have a litter which is 6 weeks old and someone has complained. The breeder has been told by council she must remove the puppies from her premises and apply for a permit to operate a home business of breeding dogs before she can ever breed again. Chances that she will get this where she lives now council have recieved a complaint are slim but she will need to comply with whatever planning has in place in her shire for breeding dogs as a home based business.

Rescue people in NSW can tell you the same story.

Happening right now in queesnland another similar one I spoke with the breeder yesterday.

Happening right now in Victoria - any more than 5 entire bitches council planning laws cut in.

Happening right now in NSW a rescue who had ONE rescue dog on her property has been told she cant take another dog until she gets permits and laws for planning.

Aussiedog

I appreciate the way you are qualifying the language now. Time to start to changing the rhetoric, from 'Close down puppy farms' to 'Improving large scale breeding facilities'. More to the point and it sounds so much nicer to call them facilities. Ta

I think we can all now start to agree on the agenda and outcomes.

The more regulated dogs breeding becomes, the more pups will be produced in large breeding establishments. Home breeders can not afford nor will want to, turn their homes and their lives with their dogs into a highly regulated dog breeding business. Especially when purebred dog breeders are continually promoted as producing inbred sick puppies.

I would think the puppy farmers are happy, in agreement with the animal rights protestors and fully support the idea of heavy regulations on ANKC small home breeders. They know most small home breeders will stop breeding under this pressure and this means their sales at the "large scale breeding facilities' will go up.

We can rest assured that the new government approved and RSPCA inspected large scale breeding facilities will do a good job. No more concerns that puppy farm dogs and puppies, opps I mean large scale breeding facility dogs and puppies are a welfare issue.

Once the dust settles, they will take on their new role as legitimate, inspected and approved facilities and become the primary producers of pet dogs for Australia families.

For the greater good.

uh-huh

f-a-c-i-l-i-t-i-e-s

this is what they rallied for.

All in the name of oscar (sic) ...

This is part of an email I recieved yesterday regarding Victoria.

Providing I live in zones of rural residential or farming. I can own no more than five dogs unless I have an exceptional permit from council. I currently have one of these. In fact there is no limit on the number of dogs council can approve (as pets only - not breeding) but only on farm zone.

Council says over five breeding bitches and I must register with them as a dog breeding business and hence come under the Victorian code of practice, get audited by council etc.

Now, if I am an ANKC breeder, my council says I can own up to 10 breeding bitches ( dogs don't need to be registered at all - just the breeder) and council don't care if I am in the farming zone. That is, I dont need to be a reg bus with council and the code of practice does not apply. HOWEVER, the Department of Planning does care. So here state and council differ. While local govt says I am fine to be have 10 bitches on a farm as an ANKC person, State govt says I need a planning permit for more than five breeding bitches (!). So I am back to square one, ANKC or not.

To get a planning permit I pay $500 to council, show plans, design, management etc. I then have to put a public notice at the front of my property for one month during which time the public can object.

When they object (as the loony neighbour here did, slapping my family home on the front page of local rag and calling us puppy farmers - I am still suffering from major depression as a result of their terrorism over a 2 yr period) you must then go through VCAT. It took 8 months before our case was heard cos we r country.

It then took 3 months to get the ruling. Which found in our favour.