Vocal Dogs In The Ring And Etiquette

SnoPaws

Maybe I'm just jealous because I'm not the shape for a miniskirt or low cut top to grab those fringies !!!

fifi

Fret not Fifi!

You've still got fear and intimidation in your repertoire. Make sure to turn your Wolfie round and bait off the Group 5 dogs. :laugh:

:laugh: oh lordy, I read that as BITE OFF !!! I do feel sorry for the dachies if there isn't a breed between us.....big hairy beast breathing heavily behind the wee mites !!!

fifi

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm just jealous because I'm not the shape for a miniskirt or low cut top to grab those fringies !!!

fifi

Fret not Fifi!

You've still got fear and intimidation in your repertoire. Make sure to turn your Wolfie round and bait off the Group 5 dogs. :laugh:

:laugh: oh lordy, I read that as BITE OFF !!! I do feel sorry for the dachies if there isn't a breed between us.....big hairy beast breathing heavily behind the wee mites !!!

fifi

Hope you give them a good head start before following into the ring! :laugh:

I haven't read through all these post but from the OP I would say ignore her....she has the problem not you........and if it was me in the ring............I would be thinking I would want to say to her....ahhhhhhh go have a shit and fall in it.... :D :) ;) :laugh::laugh: but you CAN'T say that!!! Can you ????? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

fifi

Fret not Fifi!

You've still got fear and intimidation in your repertoire. Make sure to turn your Wolfie round and bait off the Group 5 dogs. :)

:D oh lordy, I read that as BITE OFF !!! I do feel sorry for the dachies if there isn't a breed between us.....big hairy beast breathing heavily behind the wee mites !!!

fifi

we are often in straight after the dachies. And a grey is nowhere near as big as a wolfie. Had a few throw worried glances over their shoulders at us so we leave plenty of room.

My point is I could bait any of my SBT's off the dog infront and behind, they animate beautifully and are happy to give any dogs the death stare. It makes them look stunning, but it's not fair to the fellow exhibitors, especially the non confrontational Toys and the Gundogs. It intimidates a lot of dogs and it doesn't make for a pleasurable showing experience for the intimidated dog or it's handler.

If I can show some consideration and restraint in the ring and give my fellow exhibitors every opportunity to show their dog at it's best, then those with the jumping, barking, whinging or whatever else they do, can surely do the same.

It applies equally to those who like to chuck bait around, stack on top of you, let their dogs wander up to others or park their bloody trolley full of yapping bastards smack bang in the ring entrance.

That annoys me more than dogs bouncing and barking in the ring.

My dog has days where he is distracted too, but he is a DOG not a robot.

So Snopaws if we are ever in a in show line up :D :) ;) together, i wont mind if your boy bounces and barks lol

a bark occassionally could be a little distracting for some dogs, but so is all the cheering and shouting and clapping ringside from rent a crowd, its something a "show dog" has to get used to.

I love to see dogs out there really enjoying the experience and a bark now and then from an enthusiastic dog is just part of a dog show

SnoPaws - As you know, i suffer the same little 'issue' it can be no interest, no attention one day, and super showy, super excited and erm.. a bit barky the next!

Our Sammies just do it, each and every time Fletcher has had a bit of a bark in the ring the judge has said "Typical Sammy!" And while he is silent at home and barely makes a sound (other than the occasional howling tune of happiness in the morning and at meal times) he certainly knows how to get attention in the ring... and your boy is exactly the same.

You need to watch the video of the 1988 Sammy National - the very first National. Every. Single. Samoyed barked and barked and barked, while running, while the judge went over them, while they were in the line up. A real eye opener, just to see how this breed has changed in that time in regards to their 'show presence'.

I wonder what this exhibitor would have thought of that?! I can't believe a barking dog at a dog show could be so offensive :rofl:

Honestly the amount of things I've heard and seen exhibitors do ON PURPOSE in the ring to distract other peoples dogs....

Edited by Bindii

My point is I could bait any of my SBT's off the dog infront and behind, they animate beautifully and are happy to give any dogs the death stare. It makes them look stunning, but it's not fair to the fellow exhibitors, especially the non confrontational Toys and the Gundogs. It intimidates a lot of dogs and it doesn't make for a pleasurable showing experience for the intimidated dog or it's handler.

If I can show some consideration and restraint in the ring and give my fellow exhibitors every opportunity to show their dog at it's best, then those with the jumping, barking, whinging or whatever else they do, can surely do the same.

It applies equally to those who like to chuck bait around, stack on top of you, let their dogs wander up to others or park their bloody trolley full of yapping bastards smack bang in the ring entrance.

Who told you that? I started my time in the dog show world in the terrier ring when terriers WERE real terriers and sparring was an artform. We baited off each other and if we were fortunate to be in the BIS ring, we did the same off the dog to the front and to the rear, in that case it would be a working dog (Utility) in front and a toy dog behind. We knew how close to be to not intimidate the toy dog, however it should be noted that many more toy dogs often went off and attempted to attack anything around it and the handlers did nothing to stop it.

The terrier ring was tough and loud and intimidating then and our working group (Utility) was the same (before they split into the herding group as well) Not a place for the weak that's for sure! Perhaps this generation of showies just doesn't have the scar tissue that some of us oldies have and this is why we simply snort about the whingers complaining about something so simple as a dog barking in the ring?

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I'm guessing you have not been round the toy ring when the chihuahuas are showing.... and if you were in a BIS lineup with a chihuahua there too, I'd bet they would be doing exactly the same thing with their chi as you did with your terrier.... and as for a chihuahua speciality show, now there's a real eye opener :rofl:

Angelsun... terriers baiting off other terriers and enjoying it is different than say a Chihuahua being used as bait for a Kerry Blue. Although nervousness is not a desirable trait in any breed, I think it's reasonable for a tiny dog to be more than a little wary of a larger dog looking at it as if it were lunch.

And no, it's not just the younger ones who think it's unreasonable, don't know why you would think that, I think it's just being courteous.

I asked my mum about it (without telling her what I thought) and her response was the same as mine. Any of her dogs would try and have a look at a dog barking right behind them, although I'm sure if one of her Danes was doing it and upsetting other peoples dogs everyone would be in an uproar.

But then again, I also think bitches in season should stay at home, not just because it DOES upset males (don't care how well trained your dog is, a seasoned stud dog would not ignore the scent) but they are more susceptible to infections.

I guess I'm just one of those whingers though... maybe there's a group for that somewhere 'dog show bitches anonymous'

In relation to the yappers being ringside, one day I was at a show and my number was being called to line up in the race... well we could even get to the race! Some unnamed people had completely blocked it off trying to get to the shade of the gazeebo there, their dogs weren't on for quite some time either. And yes, they were asked to move by the steward. :rofl:

I can see it from both points of view - I would like to think my dog would ignor a dog barking int he line up but he may not and it may distract him which isn't great for our chances but then I udnerstand if it were my dog and he looked great but he was barking I wouldn't want to correct him if he's a dog that shuts down.

BUT I would probably teach him how to speak so barks on command on the ring rather than all the time :) I know some Porties that do the same :)

It's' nice to see others that seem to feel that dogs being dogs is acceptable in the show ring. As for

You assume a lot don't you about people's age, experience and where they've been during their show careers, but then again, you seem to think you know it all.

It's fairly easy to pick out these things in how people write about their experiences and yes, I do know a lot....I've shown dogs in three continents, titled hundreds of them over the years. I've seen the dogs that are robots burn out by the time they are two, because someone doesn't want them to be a dog. I've watched handlers snarl at others in the ring because in their opinion, they took up some of their space, their dog barked, twitched, farted or generally didn't do what that other person wanted. I've watched handlers step on dogs feet, handlers feet, discuss the next dog in the line up with the judge in an attempt to have that dog ignored.

I could also throw back the same words...as the old hair dye commercial said "how old do you think I am?".

As for being unacceptable to bait the Kerry Blue to the Chi.....if it's done right....it's not intimidating to the little one...however it seems that the small dogs are permitted to go off half cocked at the Great Dane for example and it's just fine? I learned to spar terriers (it's not called baiting by the way) with the big guns in both Canada and the states. I learned that it's not to elicit a fight, or show AGRESSION, as many beleive it to be and think therefore that the dogs on the receiving end are under threat. I apply the same principals of sparring to most of what I show. We don't refer to it that way of course because so many use it in a negative tone. But what you do when you turn a dog to face the one behind it because it shows better, is in fact sparring. So many think it's nose to nose and wait til the growls start and teeth flare....sorry....you're wrong. True sparring is an art form. Using dog behaviour to bring out animation is old school....long before the word 'bait' came into being. For those of you that rely on food to get 'ears' or keep attention.....try the UKC shows in the states where it's banned....

As for the comment thrown my way about perhaps being too 'american' and handling over the top....clearly you've not seen me handle here, and I will say again in case you missed it....it's refreshing to not have that nonsense happening here. I'ts nice to see dogs be dogs....waggy tails and barks and all the nonsense, and yes, those that whinge and complain need to really take a hard look at their hobby and remember that although we are there to compete, we are there to have some fun. Something that doesn't seem to be too plentiful I find when actions such as described in the original post occur.

Sammy owners....bring on your bouncy barky furballs....I love it. I enjoy and can't help but break into a smile when I see that white sparkly fluff, wag that tail, smile as only a sammy can and bark with joy. It's not disturbing, or distracting....it reminds me why we are doing what we are doing. I'll be in that group with you, with my bouncy pinscher that likes to frog lay on the grass in the sun and roll around scratching their back with their belly in the air. And yes, if I am told to 'control my dog as it's being a distraction' they will get told to 'get stuffed'. I"m there to have some fun....it's too bad I seem to be in a minority.

i find the barking yappers outside the ring more annoying then the barking bouncy dogs in the ring it makes me smile that they are so full of life (buti am only a new exhibitor)

my dog will lay and relax, get belly rubs in the lineup awaiting our turn (trainer has said dog should stand the whole time in the ring) how boring for a poor lil pup.

i liek my animated naughty dog and i aint going to punish her because she annoys someone else they can get over it :laugh:

Angelsun:

I learned that it's not to elicit a fight, or show AGRESSION, as many beleive it to be and think therefore that the dogs on the receiving end are under threat.

Did you ever consider that what you've learned and what the dogs on the "receiving end" interpret this behaviour as may differ?

I"m there to have some fun....it's too bad I seem to be in a minority.

I'm there to have fun and to show my dog to his best advantage. However I don't expect other people or their dogs to be cheerfully disadvantaged by my idea of "fun".

Vive la difference I suppose :laugh:

Just don't expect shows in urban areas to last long if everyone decides that their dogs should be able to bark to display their "animation".

Edited by poodlefan