Tick Treatment , What Do U Reccomend?

springdog

Hi all,

I am going to Eucha in November and need some advise on Tick treatments, what do you reccommend and also can anyone advise of the type of ticks present in that area.

Thanks in advance

Springdog

Also the Tick Alert Group that used to have a website, now have their electronic information pages archived at the National Library of Australia at this link.

http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/45523/200911...g.au/index.html

Here is the Paralysis Tick Distribution Map

Description Ixodes holocyclus distribtion map.png

English: Distribution map of the Paralysis Tick of Australia (Ixodes holocyclus)

Date 1 January 2000(2000-01-01)

Source Roberts FHS (1970) Australian Ticks. Yeerongpilly QLD.

Author Adapted from Roberts FHS (1970) Australian Ticks. Yeerongpilly QLD by TAGS Inc, Bill Conroy & Norbert Fischer

Information available from this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixodes_holocyclus

Edited by Muttaburra

we get lots up here. Dogs in the area generally develop a form of immunity. heres what i use to identify the bad ticks.

http://www.lanecovevet.com/ParalysisTicks.html

The most common types of ticks found on pets and livestock are the paralysis tick, the brown dog tick and the bush tick. The latter two are brown in colour, where as the paralysis tick has a slate grey body which becomes lighter as it grows.

we get lots up here. Dogs in the area generally develop a form of immunity. heres what i use to identify the bad ticks.

http://www.lanecovevet.com/ParalysisTicks.html

The most common types of ticks found on pets and livestock are the paralysis tick, the brown dog tick and the bush tick. The latter two are brown in colour, where as the paralysis tick has a slate grey body which becomes lighter as it grows.

Natural Immunity is unreliable, since the immune levels can drop from season to season, in other words a dog immune one year may not be the next, so the word is from most of the information sites is to use prevention if there is a risk.

My advice to anyone would be to read everything you can about them, and when moving into or visiting a new district, contact the local vets to see what the prevelence of ticks are in that area.

For the last 8 years, my dogs and I have lived in one of the highest infested areas around, each year scores of people get caught off guard and most vets are flat out with treating affected animals, quite a few don't survive.

The distribution of them is fairly clear cut if you see the map, Preventatic Collar and Adavantix can be used if you are not sure about an area. Sometimes these preventatives do not kill the tick fast enough to avoid symptoms.

If you are in a Paralysis Tick area, the only way to ensure that your dog is not host to a tick, is to do daily or 2wce daily checks.

I have been reading up on them and looking at the pictures and all but how big are they? I know might be hard to explain but I have never seen a tick in my life so I don't know what to expect.

I do checks everyday but worried I might miss it.

from my experience ticks can start as small as a pinhead but then they get bigger as they feed off the dog. you have to press down reasonably hard while you are feeling over the dog and they used to feel like a hard firm mossie bite so you will need to make sure you check in between the pads of the feet, and other small areas. I like advantix for where i live as they do paralysis ticks (according to the info i have) a bit better than frontline.

We recommend advantix were we are, as we have a high tick area.

But we also recommend twice daily searching if possible if a client knows they are going into a high tick area. Also if the dog is a longer and fluffier coat, we sometimes recommend clipping the dog, to make finding the ticks more easier as you can feel them better.

I would recomend Shoo Tag to anyone - the best thing about it is that you don't use chemicals. Just google Shoo Tag.

They are little plastic tags that you attach to your dogs collar. I purchased them only because they come with a money back guarantee so although I was sceptical I had nothing to lose. I used to pull about 10 ticks off my dog a week during the summer months. since using these tags I haven't seen a single tick

i find its pretty easy to find them. a definite bump even when they are super tiny and then they get bigger as they feed. they get to about the size of a plump pea when engorged. I check my dog very regularly. don't forget to check in between toe pads.

I used to live on the South Coast, NSW which is tick central.

AND dogs went to beach regularly.

Happy with Advantix.

Tick collar is a cheaper alternative.

I didn't use one because young children would have cuddled both the dog and tick collar.

Don't like the smell of them much, but people tell me it fades quickly.

I have 2 poodles and even with that coat, you feel a tick easily.

Most ticks are found forward of your dog's collar, so if you're time poor is very quick to check their head, ears and neck!

Hi all,

I am going to Eucha in November and need some advise on Tick treatments, what do you reccommend and also can anyone advise of the type of ticks present in that area.

Thanks in advance

Springdog

If you mean Echuca on the Murray, it is not a paralysis tick area.

I use Advantix spot on and find it very good. I've not found a tick on any of the dogs whilst using it.

I also use advantix but early last year after my dogs had been treated with this 2 weeks later I was extracting bush ticks from them. Was not happy.

My sisters neighbour used the tick collars but their dog was struck don with paralsis ticks while wearing it. The ticks were under the collar. I dont know how long the collar had been on for.

We had a bad experiance with brown ticks (not paralysis ticks) in Darwin on our GSD (semi long coat) where nothing worked appart from monthly tick injections given by our vet. It cost us $20 per injection (no other fee from the vet) and it was worth every penny. Once we started these injections we never saw another tick. We would treat with these injections from Aug/Sep till Feb every year then give him a break for 6 months (dry season) and start again.

PS: Not that I prefer injections over safer herbal or other remedies but it was the last and absolute last resort and it worked.

I would not reccomend shoo tags for paralysis ticks....

I personally find frontline spray the best for paralysis ticks, Once applied lasts for 3 weeks and if you see a tick you can kill it by spraying with the frontline.

The spray adhears to the coat and is quick drying - I believe the safest thing to use around kids as there is no oily residue on the dogs coat like there is after using a top spot.Remember you must apply the spray all over your dog.

If you decide on using a top spot (Advantix /frontline plus)please note you need to apply at least 2 days before you leave and apply every 2 weeks.