Royal Shows The Safety Of Our Dogs

oakway

I also believe somewhere there in the rules and regulations for Melbourne and / or Adelaide, it states that dogs MUST be on benches and NOT left in crates or trolleys....

Yes Nynka you it right all dogs MUST be on benches and NOT left in crates or trolleys at the Melbourne Royal

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also believe somewhere there in the rules and regulations for Melbourne and / or Adelaide, it states that dogs MUST be on benches and NOT left in crates or trolleys....

Yes Nynka you it right all dogs MUST be on benches and NOT left in crates or trolleys at the Melbourne Royal

Perhaps it's changed as I haven't been to the Melbourne Royal for some time but it used to be a custom more honored in the breach a few years ago.

Royal shows.

I hate snotty nosed kids putting their sticky fingers all over my dogs

I hate wading through the crowds to get to the assembly area

I hate that fake grass my dogs have to gait on, and if it's a hot day the horrible fake grass gets hot

I hate that my dogs have to pee and poo on a 3 metre by 3 metre digusting bit of dead grass already laden with pee and stinky straw bail that reeks of pee placed in the middle.

We didn't enter this year :vomit:

Every year I hear of an exhibitor getting something stolen and I remember in the late 80's a dog almost got baited with meat laced with powdered glass. The exhibitor was at the end of the bench row from where I was and he was lucky his dog was a finicky eater and didn't touch it.

There is no security there, only that old guy that runs around telling people off for swapping bench numbers.

Wow, mainland Royals sound crazy. The Launnie one is just huge white tents set up (like the ones people use for weddings) and you park your trolley and gear wherever you please.

You can walk the dogs around outside the area and there's plenty of grass for them to go on. No nasty fake stuff either. Downside... Launnie has no indoor facilities so if it rains, it rains, and you get wet.

This year will be my first Hobart Royal for years so it will be interesting, I know Hobart has benches and you can't leave before a certain time, toilets are nice and close though which is a bonus. I can barely remember what the bench set-up is like though.

whippets - powdered glass? Some people really have something wrong with them to do something like that, thank goodness the dog didn't eat it!

If you don't like it and don't want to comply - don't enter :laugh: I don't see the issue???

Yep it can be frustrating getting through a crowd (I would like a clear walkway for exhibitors only), but overall, I love the day and so do my dogs!!! A day with hundreds of people just to see THEM, it's a friendly dogs dream come true!!

I did the Adelaide Royal for the first time this year and can't wait until next September!!! Really liked their benching set up and the cages for wee dogs. Loved the exhibitor only walkway to the rings (okay after you made it through the hoards lol), but the huge assembly areas were fantastic!!! Also loved the fact that the pavillion was closed for an hour at lunchtime.

I would love it if we were able to purchase extra exhibitor tickets when entering, would make it so much more convenient. Also a parking pass would be good. But overall, I go for the day out and to promote my breed and my dogs. Yep, I have a bit of a hinge and bitch about some of the idiot public but at the same time, some exhibitors are rude bastards too!!! I love showing off my guys and talking to exhibitors I don't usually speak to. This will be my 6th Melbourne Royal and I can't wait :happydance:

As for security, well yes this incident has made me stop and think a bit but overall I believe it was likely an isolated incident and not the start of a royal dog napping ring! We should always be vigilant when it comes to our precious dogs.

The Melb Royal rules this year say that baby puppies must be on display all day too. It is the first year they have offered the baby puppy class, and I really think they should not force the babies to be on display for 8+ hrs! Even those only entered in the evening sweepies must be benched and on display all day. :champagne:

Spikes Puppy:

If you don't like it and don't want to comply - don't enter I don't see the issue???

I'll go even further. If you can't stand the thought of crowds of people around your dog and don't think you can be civil to members of the public who've paid hard cash to see the dogs then you really shouldn't be there.

The Royals aren't just about prestigious wins for dogs. They are important showcases for purebred dogs and a chance for the dog fancy to promote breeds AND responsible breeders to the general public. If folk can't act in a manner that supports those aims then please don't go. You reinforce negative stereotypes that drive folks into the arms of the puppyfarmed designer dogs.

Every family with a fairy flossed toddler that wants to pat your dog is a potential home for a purebred pup. Try to behave in a manner that might make them consider a purebred dog. Those people are key to ensuring the dogs we care so much about don't continue to decline in numbers.

There's safety and security and then there's coping with the sheer chaos of such shows. No one's holding a gun to anyone's head to get entries.

Lets treat these shows as the special events they are and remember that its both dogs AND breeders that are on display to the public. :champagne:

Edited by poodlefan

They haven't paid hard cash to see the dogs; they've paid to get into the show. Sure, some people just go to see the dogs but the entry is not for the dogs.

The dogs are AT the show Sheridan. People pay to get in. The entry covers seeing dogs just as it does all the other exhibits. Obviously if folk have no interest in exhibits they head for side show alley and don't go elsewhere.

Hair splitting aside, it IS a very important showcase for dogs same as the local Aggie shows can be. It's not difficult to ask folk to come back later if they want to meet the dogs. I appreciate that the 20th time you have to do it can be tiring but rudeness isn't called for.

Don't forget in this case it was the Public that stole Harry from behind a barrier out of area he was contained in.

I am all for meet and greet areas for the Public should you wish to participate. Away from the main benching area.

But after this incident I think Sydney Royal has got it right.

Don't forget in this case it was the Public that stole Harry from behind a barrier out of area he was contained in.

I am all for meet and greet areas for the Public should you wish to participate. Away from the main benching area.

But after this incident I think Sydney Royal has got it right.

As I said, you can't put safety and security issues to one side. I think restricted access to benching is a necessity in this day and age.

The Melb Royal rules this year say that baby puppies must be on display all day too. It is the first year they have offered the baby puppy class, and I really think they should not force the babies to be on display for 8+ hrs! Even those only entered in the evening sweepies must be benched and on display all day. :champagne:

Its simple if you dont want your nany on display all day dont take it!

I have never been tro the Adelaide royal but going from what has been said the Adelaide Royal has no consideration for anyone or anything wether it be the dogs the owners or the public if all the have seperating the public from the dogs is 1 rail, Brisbane leaves a lot to be desired but atleast we have a 5ft fence seperating us and our dogs from the general public!! Lord knows what we will have when it all changes.

Spikes Puppy:
If you don't like it and don't want to comply - don't enter I don't see the issue???

I'll go even further. If you can't stand the thought of crowds of people around your dog and don't think you can be civil to members of the public who've paid hard cash to see the dogs then you really shouldn't be there.

The Royals aren't just about prestigious wins for dogs. They are important showcases for purebred dogs and a chance for the dog fancy to promote breeds AND responsible breeders to the general public. If folk can't act in a manner that supports those aims then please don't go. You reinforce negative stereotypes that drive folks into the arms of the puppyfarmed designer dogs.

Every family with a fairy flossed toddler that wants to pat your dog is a potential home for a purebred pup. Try to behave in a manner that might make them consider a purebred dog. Those people are key to ensuring the dogs we care so much about don't continue to decline in numbers.

There's safety and security and then there's coping with the sheer chaos of such shows. No one's holding a gun to anyone's head to get entries.

Lets treat these shows as the special events they are and remember that its both dogs AND breeders that are on display to the public. :thumbsup:

You are so self-righteous. :champagne:

Every other animal exhibit area is closed off to the public for the safety and comfort of the animals and dogs should be the same. I think there maybe one cattle pavilion but definately not horses. The public can see the dogs in the ring just like they do for every other animal at the show.

Who said anything about being uncivil to the public? Just because some people, me included, can't stand the chaos, disorganisation, fairy floss laden kids and poor facilitys for the dogs doesn't mean we sit there and grunt at the public like heathan cavemen.

They haven't paid hard cash to see the dogs; they've paid to get into the show. Sure, some people just go to see the dogs but the entry is not for the dogs.

The dogs are AT the show Sheridan. People pay to get in. The entry covers seeing dogs just as it does all the other exhibits. Obviously if folk have no interest in exhibits they head for side show alley and don't go elsewhere.

Hair splitting aside, it IS a very important showcase for dogs same as the local Aggie shows can be. It's not difficult to ask folk to come back later if they want to meet the dogs. I appreciate that the 20th time you have to do it can be tiring but rudeness isn't called for.

Where else in Melbourne does Joe Public get the opportunity to see so many pure breed dogs?? It's not as though Dogs Victoria is falling over themselves to promote either of their venues!! Lots of people think they are doing the right thing by coming to 'The Show' to see the different dog breeds in the hope of finding the perfect companion.

I agree with your earlier post, Poodlefan - we are there as representatives of the Pure Breed dog World, and I can only speak for myself but I always do my best to remain pleasant and answer questions, no matter how many times I've been asked- after all it's not the next person's fault that they have the same query!!!

One week to go for my guys :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

With regard to Harry's theft - it is a tragedy but one also has to wonder how this stranger managed to crawl under the rail (believe me I nearly busted my back going in and out LOL, it was a solid rail, you couldn't move it - you could only go under), and unlatch the cage, then crawl back out again, all the while with the dog supposedly carrying on and biting him and NO ONE SAID ANYTHING!!! I think *that* is the bigger issue, the nonchalant "Not my problem" attitude that people have these days rather than the security set up of the shows IMO.

Was discussing it one night and trying to come up with ways of IDing people who were *allowed* to touch/handle dogs- thinking perhaps a colour coded wristband or something- changed each day but for eg, all exhibitors/strappers/friends who were allowed "behind the scenes" had to wear yellow bands one day, then blue the next etc. :champagne: I dunno.

I agree with your earlier post, Poodlefan - we are there as representatives of the Pure Breed dog World, and I can only speak for myself but I always do my best to remain pleasant and answer questions, no matter how many times I've been asked- after all it's not the next person's fault that they have the same query!!!

:laugh: me too and I love the public and showing off my dogs.

With regard to Harry's theft - it is a tragedy but one also has to wonder how this stranger managed to crawl under the rail (believe me I nearly busted my back going in and out LOL, it was a solid rail, you couldn't move it - you could only go under), and unlatch the cage, then crawl back out again, all the while with the dog supposedly carrying on and biting him and NO ONE SAID ANYTHING!!! I think *that* is the bigger issue, the nonchalant "Not my problem" attitude that people have these days rather than the security set up of the shows IMO.

Was wondering the exact same thing, surely there was someone next to the dog and if not then why wasn't someone with the dog. Come on people, it is called taking responsibility for your charges.

Was discussing it one night and trying to come up with ways of IDing people who were *allowed* to touch/handle dogs- thinking perhaps a colour coded wristband or something- changed each day but for eg, all exhibitors/strappers/friends who were allowed "behind the scenes" had to wear yellow bands one day, then blue the next etc. :) I dunno.

This sounds like a good idea.

You are so self-righteous. :laugh:

Fortunately for me, I'm fairly impervious to insult too. :) No need to get personal.

People talk the "we must promote our dogs" talk constantly both here and on other fora. I have eyes and ears and I can quite happily state that some of the talkers don't walk the talk. The public at the Royals are not just an embuggerance but clearly some folk think so and act accordingly. I haven't been in the show ring alll that long and I haven't forgotten what its like to be the person on the other side of the rail. :)

Read the posts in this thread again Whippets. Clearly some posters are prepared to be rude. Its happened to me and no doubt to other DOLers too.

I suppose its to be expected though. If some exhibitors can't behave with courtesy to each other, what hope has Jo Public got. :)

ETA: Its funny how one good experience can leave an indelible impression. Many moons ago when I was a horse mad youngster, I bought and read every copy of Hooves and Horns and (like a lot of young girls) thought Palaminos were the most beautiful horses alive (I still love a good one). There was a Palamino stallion doing a lot of winning at the time named Silver Sheen and he'd been in Hooves and Horns. I cut out his pictures and had them on my school books. There I was, in the stable complex at Melbourne Royal and there he was. I was so excited and must have sounded it. In his stable was his owner and she asked if I'd like to pat him. She ushered me in and a very excited child got to touch her dream horse.

I have never forgotten that day. I know of people who can recount meeting a breed for the first time at a show with the same fondness. What we do at these events and how we respond to requests about our dogs may be far more important for the public than most of us care to imagine. My guess is the bad experiences are equally memorable.

I suppose it comes down to this for me. If the Royals are chaotic, the benching is inadequate and you need bouncers to make it to ringside on time and intact, don't take it out on the public - its not their fault. Off pulpit now. :D

Edited by poodlefan

:applause: spot on, poodlefan!!

I met Caber's father at the Melbourne Royal before I was even able to get a puppy, let alone settled on a breed!!! I will never forget that day :laugh: of course, I didn't think back then I'd have 3 of the buggers, including my own homebred puppy but it's amazing isn't it? If they hadn't been so nice to me back then, I may have gone a completely different way.

Going to the Royal for me was all about the dogs and ever since I was very young I dreamt about showing my own dogs there. Okay, now I understand the work involved lmao but even so, I can't say I've ever had a bad Royal :)

The only thing I would really like changed would be a better path to the rings or at least an assembly area (trying to get the dog ready in a squishy trade stand with dozens of people milling about was difficult to say the least. Hopefully that will be fixed up this year. Although I think the awful weather added to the chaos as they moved the outside breeds indoors.

Wait a minute.....this is about security at Royal Shows not who said what to whom.

So far it appears that the consensus is that we do not have enough security.

This has been proven when a dog can be taken from where it was believed to be secure at Adelaide Royal.

Remember this dog was behind a barrier and locked away.

It has also been noted that one of the Royals is exempt from criticism.

I believe that MAY be because it's security excludes the public.

Congratulations Sydney Royal.

Safety & security is the owners responsibility & the same applies to any dog show.Dogs at normal shows are not exempt from the public who infact do get closer to the dogs but no one seems to have an issue there ??So why should the standards be different at a royal.If this dog was stolen from SACA what would people then be saying ,No Public at all ??

Everyone knows the routine of a royal & like already said you either enter or you don't .

I have attended Perth/Melbourne & Adelaide royals all where the public have close contact & it has never been an issue with safety when you use common sense & take your own precautions.

The same precautions we also take with our valuables/handbags etc etc.