A Good And Proper Budget Dry Food/kibble?

I feed the Woolworths Select to my cats. They do normal, firm poos and are very shiny and healthy. (they also get raw cat mince every day).

I agree that it is better than Whiskas and Friskies and many other brands because at least it doesn't contain colours and preservatives.

Years ago I fed Bonnie to my dogs (from a tiny Chi X to Bull Terriers and Dobermanns) And they always looked great and had no health problems.

I feed mostly raw now with some holistic dry food, but if I had to I would feed them Bonnie or similar again.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a brand called Boomer from the great aussie petfood company, which I buy from a pet food supplier who home delivers. Its about $40?(not sure) for 20kg I can afford to buy the dearer brands but have found my dogs keep their condition fine with this brand,they are fed kibble at night and scotties propeak in the morning also any left overs available, plus chicken necks and fish occasionally.

When I was subscribing to the Ozshow email list, someone asked the question "What kibble is everyone feeding?" and I was surprised by the amount of breeders and showies who DON'T feed a super premium grade kibble. And a large percentage of them were feeding Woofbix, which is the Big W brand. There were also a lot of them feeding Supercoat, Coprice and Bonnie.

Probably the amount of dogs Gayle. I go through enough kibble with 3 dogs. I would love to feed UA. Might try it again.

ETA: I don't feed super premium because I think I have to but because I can. It really is a luxury. The dogs would probably love some Pal!

Edited by JulesP

When I was subscribing to the Ozshow email list, someone asked the question "What kibble is everyone feeding?" and I was surprised by the amount of breeders and showies who DON'T feed a super premium grade kibble. And a large percentage of them were feeding Woofbix, which is the Big W brand. There were also a lot of them feeding Supercoat, Coprice and Bonnie.

What you want to ask folk is is that all they feed. My guess is not in many cases and probably not with in whelp bitches in particular.

What you want to ask folk is is that all they feed. My guess is not in many cases and probably not with in whelp bitches in particular.

Some volunteered this information and yes, that is all some feed. And surprisingly well known kennels and some top winning dogs.

Some volunteered this information and yes, that is all some feed. And surprisingly well known kennels and some top winning dogs.

Surprising is the word. :laugh:

Mind you, seeing the steaming piles of stuff that emerge from some dogs at shows, clearly some are feeding these brands. And they always seem to be the people that insisit on scooping, not bagging the boo and tossing it into the bins. :laugh:

It makes no difference what comes out the other end, or how it's disposed of at dog shows, my point was that when asked what they were feeding their dogs, many breeders and showies replied with the above. Nothing else, just that.

All of my show dogs (except one) are fed on a variety of dry foods. This week they are getting Coprice, last week it was Great Barko. I mix it up because they tend to get "bored" by the end of the bag. I use 20kgs a week, and could not possibly afford to feed 9 dogs on a super premium food.

The one exception is Harry, who is allergic to chicken and wheat. You cannot get a lower priced food without either of these two ingredients. So Harry gets Nutro Lamb & Rice. One 15kg bag of that lasts about 6 - 8 weeks.

I have found that it does not make a lot of difference on what food I feed. Their condition does not change much. Except some are good for putting on weight, and some are good at taking it off. You just need to watch your weights. I have also raised puppies on Great Barko with great success. I do not think it is always necessary to use a puppy food, as most adult foods have plenty enough of the stuff puppies need. Of course before 8 weeks they are on different foods, but they still get adult dry available to them.

People just need to try different things and work out what works for them. An awful lot of my friends use ProPlan but I wont touch the stuff with a ten foot poll. Some for good reasons, and some for personal reasons. What I feed works for my guys. And I have three different breeds - Lhasa Apsos, Keeshonds & one Amstaff with a gigantic appetite!

Edited by Rysup

Coles have an 'own' brand that I believe is actually Coprice. Think the Woolies one is also something similar.

They must have changed it since I last got it (mind you that was years ago and that particular bag was rubbish!), the last time I got it, the biscuits were green and red in colour and thats what colour came out the back end!

I'm looking at trying them on another brand I saw somewhere (can't for the life of me think of the name though) it is supposed to be colour and preservative free, so the big test for me will be if Paige and Serenity can keep it down, otherwise it's back to the Pal (and yes I know its full of 'bad stuff' as long as my vet says they are healthy I don't care! As long as they aren't vomiting their little bellies up, I'm happy!)

We have a very well known German Shepard breeder who comes into work and I asked him this am what he feeds (explained about this thread). Hhe laughed his head off and told me he only feeds them Pedigree Pal - The brood girls all look beautiful everytime they come in so they are obviously going well on it, pups are all healthy as well. So if he's happy enough to use it on his 'expensive' dogs, I think it's good enough for my working dog pets hehe

ETA- I think the brand is called Dogpro? Any one here used it?

Edited by Everythings Shiny

They must have changed it since I last got it (mind you that was years ago and that particular bag was rubbish!), the last time I got it, the biscuits were green and red in colour and thats what colour came out the back end!

I think you're thinking of the Homebrand mullock in the white bag. The "other" Coles Stuff is in the You'll Love Coles range in the blue bag. Chicken and rice or beef and rice. It is identical in makeup to the Woolworths Select Chicken and Rice and Beef and Rice range which definitely are Coprice.

I think you're thinking of the Homebrand mullock in the white bag. The "other" Coles Stuff is in the You'll Love Coles range in the blue bag. Chicken and rice or beef and rice. It is identical in makeup to the Woolworths Select Chicken and Rice and Beef and Rice range which definitely are Coprice.

That'll be the one I'm thinking of... Is the You'll love coles stuff newish - I don't really look in the pet section at the supermarket unless I know something like the treats are on special

:thumbsup: As supermarket foods go, I would still (despite what others here say) place it at the high end of budget kibbles. I have no problems whatsoever in using it. In fact, my dogs have had it for the past couple of weeks (not JUST kibble of course, but as a base to their other goodies) because my local supplier was out of GB/UA when I went in to get it last time.

I still maintain that it cannot be TOO bad when my young dog looks like this (photo taken on Saturday).

grazing18sept10.jpg

Definitely a picture of health is the lovely Roger :laugh:

As an aside, where do you get your UA/GB from, ellz?

:lol: He's not going to fade away in a hurry that's for sure! :love:

Derwent Valley Produce is the only place in New Norfolk. It's only $4 or so more expensive than Animal Tuckerbox which I figure is the difference in the travelling cost to get to Moonah! :rofl: