A Good And Proper Budget Dry Food/kibble?

Hi!

I'm a first-time dog owner and I'm getting a gorgeous Golden Retriever :thumbsup: puppy in December (counting down the days...) and I've read loads of forum replies and things about dog food so I was looking for some advice on a decent budget dry.

My family and I've decided on mince, necks and various other BARF-type food but we need a decent *budget* kibble for the pup as well. I was thinking Great Barko or UA but they don't have a dedicated puppy food so perhaps I'd be better off with Bonnie or Coprice and my breeder is a total BARF advocate so no help there.

Anyway, do tell what's the best on-the-budget-side puppy food in your opinion as I'd love to hear it :laugh:

It's my first time using this forum so correct away if I've made a mistake!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and my breeder is a total BARF advocate so no help there.

I would say if the puppy has been raised on BARF than stick to it - it's a great diet :laugh: Why do you feel the need to add a dry kibble, are you just unsure about getting it right with a BARF diet? If so there are lots of threads on here and lots of raw feeders to help you with any questions :shrug:

Congrats on the puppy - hope december comes quickly for you :)

Edited by CrazyCresties

Why not follow your breeders instructions on how to raise the puppy ? rather than opt for a cheap dry. You only get one shot at raising a pup
and my breeder is a total BARF advocate so no help there.

I would say if the puppy has been raised on BARF than stick to it - it's a great diet :laugh: Why do you feel the need to add a dry kibble, are you just unsure about getting it right with a BARF diet? If so there are lots of threads on here and lots of raw feeders to help you with any questions :)

Congrats on the puppy - hope december comes quickly for you :)

Agree with the above posts, given you'll already be feeding the basis of RAW I see no point in bothering with a cheap dry food just feed RAW completely.

You are looking at this the wrong way round.. right now you are building this pups foundation....you want a good one! Put everything into it now with a good food or a good raw diet and then once the pup hits 9months-12months, then you could switch to a cheaper dry food.

I think what some people forget at times is that not everyone has the financial ability to feed a premium brand. When I first got my two kelpies D and Paige - I raised them on Pedigree and Supercoat. I was 13 when I got Paige and I had to pay for everything she needed.

I would never have been able to afford the premium brands then, I can't afford them now either so my dogs are still on a "cheap" brand - As you can see in my signature, they both look great.

Saying that I don't believe in raising a puppy or even giving an adult dog homebrand foods (ie woolies, coles etc) - they DEFINATELY are rubbish.

A puppy should be raised on whatever he or she does well on, regardless of whether it's premium or not.

Bonnie and Coprice are two brands that I would recommend as being very good value for money.

Around $40 odd for 20kg bag. This is what I have used in the past for big and little dogs. (You can get both in puppy 'formula'.

I feed raw as well so one bag lasts for months.

I also like some of the more premium brand dog foods and will buy them whenever I can afford it. I haven't noticed a difference with coats etc but it makes a huge difference as to what you pick up in the yard.

Bonnie & Coprice meant big poos while the premium brands always mean little poos.

I think what some people forget at times is that not everyone has the financial ability to feed a premium brand. When I first got my two kelpies D and Paige - I raised them on Pedigree and Supercoat. I was 13 when I got Paige and I had to pay for everything she needed.

I would never have been able to afford the premium brands then, I can't afford them now either so my dogs are still on a "cheap" brand - As you can see in my signature, they both look great.

Saying that I don't believe in raising a puppy or even giving an adult dog homebrand foods (ie woolies, coles etc) - they DEFINATELY are rubbish.

A puppy should be raised on whatever he or she does well on, regardless of whether it's premium or not.

Saying that a breeder who knows their lines and breed has made a recommendation on what is best for the pup. When the dogs health goes backwards due to improper feeding people are quick to blame the breeder for breeding a bad dog.

If the breeder feeds raw then follow that, get a decent dry food (which really may be a little more outlay but you feed a small amount so is quite cost effective) or if you're not confident with straight raw try Vets All Natural mixes and supplements.

You need to watch out for false economy with some cheaper brands though Everythings Shiny. As in you have to feed more cups and a smaller bag from a supermarket can cost very similar to a big bag of premium per 100g.

Coles have an 'own' brand that I believe is actually Coprice. Think the Woolies one is also something similar. Personally I would rather feed those then Pedigree Pal which contains colours & preservatives.

Be a bit careful here. You may not be aware but the Woolworths Select is actually repackaged Coprice.

You need to watch out for false economy with some cheaper brands though Everythings Shiny. As in you have to feed more cups and a smaller bag from a supermarket can cost very similar to a big bag of premium per 100g.

Coles have an 'own' brand that I believe is actually Coprice. Think the Woolies one is also something similar. Personally I would rather feed those then Pedigree Pal which contains colours & preservatives.

The Woollies select is Coprice for sure. And I have a feeling that the Coles is the same, they certainly LOOK the same and both have the same results on my dogs when I feed them.

And yes, I do feed these on occasions....usually when I've not been able to get UA or GB or when the pocketbook is feeling the pinch.

Of course, for the benefit of the Food Nazis...yes, I realise that I'm poisoning my dogs and that I don't deserve to have dogs, but I have two dogs in particular who were on the Coles and Woollies foods for years and nobody could pick them apart from the other dogs that were on different foods! :eek:

I've been buying Natural Balance from www.pricelesspets.com.au. Haven't come across a dog that didn't like it yet (and I've had loads and loads of dogs as I foster and rehome them).

I pay about $80 for 15kg, it's good quality but not overpriced. Less poops than the cheaper brand and that's got to be good when you've got a large dog!

Priceless Pets also sell the on the spot neck treatments for the best prices in Australia as far as I know so this website could save you money in other ways!