Advice

~Shepherd~

I am probably one of the worst offenders for spelling mistakes as I discover that just about every post I make on here has spelling errors, words missing etc. Unfortunately I only discover it when I read the post at a later stage (even though I try to proof read it when I initially write it).

It is strange as I use to be fanatical on spelling things correctly .... I guess I am used to writing emails that tend to be forgiving as they spell check for you (and correct grammar) as you go so I do not have to be as careful when you type. I sometimes wonder how my brain works, as a couple of times now I think I am typing in a particular word but when I look back, a completely different word has been typed that has no relation to what I am typing or was thinking.

Anyway, to those that may be offended, don't be .... if people have an issue with how others spell, that is their problem.

I don't have an issue with those who can not spell, just the words Advice Advise, every day, every forum. Thats all. I cant spell so I use a spell check (sometimes).

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... so I do not have to be as careful when you type.

Your grammar could be betterer to, Troy :)

I sometimes wonder how my brain works, as a couple of times now I think I am typing in a particular word but when I look back, a completely different word has been typed that has no relation to what I am typing or was thinking.

I am convinced this is a DOL engine fault as it happens to me often enough. "Than" appears, when I know I meant and was thinking "That" and so on.

Anyway, to those that may be offended, don't be .... if people have an issue with how others spell, that is their problem.

Hey - and it can be a good way to learn. Some of the spelling rules I learnt in early school days I've forgotten and reading these sorts of threads helps to remind me.

Edited by Erny

... so I do not have to be as careful when you type.

Your grammar could be betterer to, Troy :)

:) .... and I proof read it about 10 times :D

I sometimes wonder how my brain works, as a couple of times now I think I am typing in a particular word but when I look back, a completely different word has been typed that has no relation to what I am typing or was thinking.

I am convinced this is a DOL engine fault as it happens to me often enough. "Than" appears, when I know I meant and was thinking "That" and so on.

Mine is more extreme ... I can be thinking 'dog' and I write 'cat' or similar. It has only happened a couple of times but it is a bit of a worry.

I am probably one of the worst offenders for spelling mistakes as I discover that just about every post I make on here has spelling errors, words missing etc. Unfortunately I only discover it when I read the post at a later stage (even though I try to proof read it when I initially write it).

Now you know why nearly every damn post I make ends up edited. :)

:)

Edited by poodlefan

Mine is more extreme ... I can be thinking 'dog' and I write 'cat' or similar. It has only happened a couple of times but it is a bit of a worry.

Oh dear, Troy :). Perhaps you've not been wearing your tin cap enough?

Aliens .............. :)

:) .... and I proof read it about 10 times :(

Its always the way. There's the problem off not taking enuff care and them their's the problem of taking to much.

:D

Edited by Erny

A good chunk of my posts have this post was edited on the bottom of them due to spelling errors, problem is I find my mistakes I then go to edit them. However when I put the post back up I realize I have made several more :thumbsup:

--Lhok

Edit: For spelling and to make my sentence actually make sense .. Sigh

Edited by Lhok

3. after I have printed something/uploaded something/converted it to PDF.

Hey - that happens to me too! Don't know what it is about PDF - maybe the type is larger/clearer and therefore the words (and hence their spelling) stand out more :thumbsup: .

I edit a lot after posting as well. A bit like the PDF I think, in that somehow errors (spelling and grammatical) seem to stand out more once the post is submitted.

I hate the fact that I usually only notice my typos/misspellings:

1. after someone has quoted it back to me on DOL or in an email

2. after I re-read something in my 'sent items' folder :D

3. after I have printed something/uploaded something/converted it to PDF.

:thumbsup:

Me too, especially in PDF format.

Due to not having a spell check on the main computer program I use at work, I constantly check my spelling and grammar. Plus my spelling has always been bad, so its something that I really try to get right all the time.

Using 2 instead of to or too really rubs me the wrong way, it's a number, not a word. GGGRRRR

A good chunk of my posts have this post was edited on the bottom of them due to spelling errors, problem is I find my mistakes I then go to edit them. However when I put the post back up I realize I have made several more :rofl:

--Lhok

Edit: For spelling and to make my sentence actually make sense .. Sigh

:laugh: That sounds like me. I have dyslexic fingers and a brain that doesn't concentrate well. Consequently, I either give up in despair or I edit my posts a million times correcting them! Even on FB I will delete and then re-type to correct a mistake because I make them so frequently!

It is strange as I use to be fanatical on spelling things correctly .... I guess I am used to writing emails that tend to be forgiving as they spell check for you (and correct grammar) as you go so I do not have to be as careful when you type. I sometimes wonder how my brain works, as a couple of times now I think I am typing in a particular word but when I look back, a completely different word has been typed that has no relation to what I am typing or was thinking.

Oh YEH!

I have this love/hate thing going with my keyboard. And my fingers are dyslexic.

No matter how hard I try, I'll never be a touch typist. The keys keep moving around the keyborad. They never stay in the same place, the buggers. :laugh:

Almost evry post is edited ...often more than once, too! :rofl::love:

You should try typing with an European keyboard where they rearrange the a, q, w, z, and @ key. Now send an email. Eek.

So I have noticed that whenever anyone starts a spelling/grammar nazi/pedant thread, cos they just can't help it, that someone else will always post in it - whether the thread was directed at them or not, that they were offended. And we've even got an apology thread about what an apology is... I digress.

So I've been accused of having a superiority complex just because I sometimes use words of more than one sylable, or prefer a higher percentage of accurate spelling and grammar. I just find those posts easier to read. I haven't yet become fluent in SMS m8. Or phonetic spelling. Sigh. So if you want to communicate with me, it helps if you can write in semi - formal English.

So on the radio this morning, someone complained that Julia Guillard's lack of good diction makes her seem uneducated, and as the representative of the Australian people - confirms every Pomme's image of the savage colonial peasant. Great. I happen to *agree* with that caller.

And then someone rings up and calls the guy a class snob. The truth is Julia had an excellent education, her parents do not speak the same way she does, and neither do the people at the schools she attended. I think - that like Bob Hawke -who came back from England with a very posh accent after his Rhodes Scholarship to Oxford Uni - Julia learned to speak "Union" in order to get ahead (and be under-estimated by her competition), in her chosen field of politics. Quite a few on the labor side of politics have done this. I think she could drop it now. Or maybe she maintains it to let the Unions know she hasn't forgotten them.

And nearly forgot... My fingers - and I do touch type - have learned certain patterns for words so sometimes I think which variety of word I want and then depending how alert I am (not), something else gets typed. So while I hate the your/you're/yore/yaw and there/their/they're variety of malaprops - I commit the crime myself, from time to time.

Of course if you enjoy malapropisms - you would enjoy Kath and Kim. You are effluent, darling.

I have little tricks for remembering some words like "ice" is a noun, so is "advice" etc and "stationary" is what parked "cars" are. And I have yet to reliably get right "separate" and "desperate".

And then there are people who use big words that mean the exact opposite to the sense they intended. Can't think of any specific right now but it always trips me up when I see it. WTF?

Ok, enough for now.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

I like buzz words. One person uses a word or phrase and then everybody uses that word or phrase until it becomes so overused it has lost defnition and people cease to use it in the correct sense. I can't think of one off hand...but there have been many on this forum over the years. It's like catch words and phrases in business that are overused.

And then there are people who use big words that mean the exact opposite to the sense they intended. Can't think of any specific right now but it always trips me up when I see it. WTF?

Similar to that is the infamous "irregardless". And people who insist on saying, "I could care less". One that I particularly hate is the overuse and incorrect use of "literally".