Wandering Dew Allergy?

sallyandtex

Almost 12 months Kelpie.

Noticed bald, red patch on hind leg (like it had been shaved!) with a few scabs.

She's licking it.

No fleas that i know (use Revolution with success)

Definitely wasn't there yesterday, as I brushed her.

Work mate said her dog is extremely allergic to Wandering Dew,a dn that would be the culprit.

Any ideas? Also, what can I do to releive it. And I will pull any weeds out I see.

Any other plants that might cause this? Alot of weeds since warm weather and recent rains.

Many thanks :laugh:

Not sure if that is the problem, but my guys are definitely alergic to Wandering Dew.

Get some Neotopic cream from the vet or bath in Malasep.

:laugh: Thanks, will try that. Yes we have the W.D. weed, not a few weeks ago, it has come up after the wet, warmer weather.

I think most if not all dogs will react to wandering dew if the plant reaches their skin (so dogs without much hair on their bellies or inner thighs tend to get it - dogs with fluffy bellies are more protected). So I suspect it's more to do with the plant being an irritant, than the dog being allergic.

Like Persephone though, I have only seen wandering dew reaction all over the area where the dog has sparse hair, e.g., all over the belly or inner thighs, not just in one little discrete patch on the leg.

Wandering dew is hard to kill! I had a summer job gardening a few years back, had to clear this garden of wandering dew, & it was a nightmare. Took weeks to pull the stuff up. You can't compost it as fragments survive & will re-invade the garden.

I think most if not all dogs will react to wandering dew if the plant reaches their skin (so dogs without much hair on their bellies or inner thighs tend to get it - dogs with fluffy bellies are more protected). So I suspect it's more to do with the plant being an irritant, than the dog being allergic.

Like Persephone though, I have only seen wandering dew reaction all over the area where the dog has sparse hair, e.g., all over the belly or inner thighs, not just in one little discrete patch on the leg.

Wandering dew is hard to kill! I had a summer job gardening a few years back, had to clear this garden of wandering dew, & it was a nightmare. Took weeks to pull the stuff up. You can't compost it as fragments survive & will re-invade the garden.

Oh., i spose I should have said "area" rather than "patch", def NOT "little" or "discrete".

Will take advice on board.

Ta

Almost 12 months Kelpie.

Noticed bald, red patch on hind leg (like it had been shaved!) with a few scabs.

She's licking it.

No fleas that i know (use Revolution with success)

Definitely wasn't there yesterday, as I brushed her.

Work mate said her dog is extremely allergic to Wandering Dew,a dn that would be the culprit.

Any ideas? Also, what can I do to releive it. And I will pull any weeds out I see.

Any other plants that might cause this? Alot of weeds since warm weather and recent rains.

Many thanks :mad

Just an update. Took Sal to vet. He couldn't say what the allergy was, but def an allergy to something.

Put her on antibiotics and had a cortisone injection that stopped her chewing her leg.

All is good now. :mad