Rare Special Needs Breeds In Pet Shops

SkySoaringMagpie

Resurrecting this to just note my disappointment and seeing Maremma pups in a suburban pet shop, again. :confused:

I think Maremmas are great dogs who do fantastic jobs, just not for inexperienced people expecting them to be Golden Retrievers. Yes I have heard sales staff describe them as being just like a Golden. :(

I feel bad for those who will end up rescuing these dogs and wish there was more responsibility taken by the pet shops when it comes to the sale of these dogs.

I do wish to see the ban of selling of dogs & cats in pet shops, probably more due to the fact that those selling them have little to no idea about the requirements for the dogs.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Onya for bringing up the issue...for both these pups & pet-store pups in general.

Just a thought, from left field. Buying 'stuff' commercially is a consumer issue, whether it's a car, a fridge or a pup. And there are consumer laws & also consumer watchdogs (now, that's apt! :( ).

Consumers are entitled to, & expect, full disclosure about what they're buying. Who hasn't pored over the specifications for various new cars? Or the energy consumption of a new fridge?

The behavioral traits & grooming/health needs of various breeds are the specifications for buying puppies. These should be required to be supplied, in full and accurate form, to prospective buyers in petshops. And could be the basis for later complaints.

So I'd be having a word to the Consumer Affairs office in the State, on the topic of what's the position re current consumer laws & regulatory guidelines. (Not much re the sale of puppies, I suspect!)

And I'd also be having a word to CHOICE (the Australian Consumers' Association) which is a watchdog/lobby group on behalf of consumers. CHOICE already has a not- bad- at- all list of suggestions for people buying puppies (with a v subtle message to avoid the DDs).

But CHOICE could consider stepping up to the plate on insisting that there be accurate disclosure by petstores when selling puppies. So that consumers know the various breeds' requirements for managing a particular dog and its grooming/health needs. Also the source of the puppies should be told, too.

And by making it too 'hard', like this, petstores might start to lose commercial interest in selling p/b puppies.

Edited by mita

Resurrecting this to just note my disappointment and seeing Maremma pups in a suburban pet shop, again. :mad

I think Maremmas are great dogs who do fantastic jobs, just not for inexperienced people expecting them to be Golden Retrievers. Yes I have heard sales staff describe them as being just like a Golden. :eek:

I feel bad for those who will end up rescuing these dogs and wish there was more responsibility taken by the pet shops when it comes to the sale of these dogs.

I do wish to see the ban of selling of dogs & cats in pet shops, probably more due to the fact that those selling them have little to no idea about the requirements for the dogs.

Are you serious?

I do know some lovely Maremmas but they are not the same temperament as a golden.

All the small fluffy breeds & poodle crosses :eek: have specific grooming needs.

They are the ones ( the lucky ones ) that end up at the groomers matted to the skin because they were not told to brush them

ears clogged up & infected because they don't know about plucking & cleaning, dew claws embedded in the skin, because they weren't removed or advised they were there & need a trim.

All disasters waiting to happen.

They are a business, they don't give pups away to rescue groups they just want their $,s.

Good luck. Maybe go & advise them of the issues. They may pay attention by some 1000 to 1 chance.

i bought my cavalier x poodle (vet told me she can not see any poodle in her at all) from a pet shop (i have since been educated in regards to why this was the wrong thing to do) and i was not given much information in regards to grooming, BUT, when i got home and got her to sleep that night i got on the internet and looked up as much information that i could, brought the required combs and comb her every second, day, i have booked her into a groomer that i use for my cat, and she has her first appointment in 4 weeks,

i have bought books on how to care for cavaliers, bathing, grooming, training, ect

i understand that some people fail to treat their pets with respect but not all do, people need to realise that it is their responsibility to care for the puppy and to find as much information as possible, i have found many sites very helpful, including this one, found many books helpful, as well as talking to people who own such breeds

No i did not get any information but it did not stop me from finding it out myself

mollie is so spoilt and is well groomed and well loved

See that is what sensible, intelligent people do.....happy to see there are still some out there! :o I will admit that I actually made some enquiries into a Cavalier X Poodle (I refuse to use the 'melded' word) before I purchased my first Cavalier as I was torn between the two breeds but my youngest daughter, then age 7 said she really wanted a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel....and well the rest is history. :mad

If your Vet doesn't see poodle in you little girl you may be blessed with a dog that has thrown to her Cavalier ancestory and may have a coat that is easier to manage than most Cavaleir X Poodles are. Although bear in mind that when you have her desexed often the Cavalier coat becomes heavier in the neuter and you may then need the help of a professional to teach you to manage it.

Edited by LizT

i bought my cavalier x poodle (vet told me she can not see any poodle in her at all) from a pet shop (i have since been educated in regards to why this was the wrong thing to do) and i was not given much information in regards to grooming, BUT, when i got home and got her to sleep that night i got on the internet and looked up as much information that i could, brought the required combs and comb her every second, day, i have booked her into a groomer that i use for my cat, and she has her first appointment in 4 weeks,

i have bought books on how to care for cavaliers, bathing, grooming, training, ect

i understand that some people fail to treat their pets with respect but not all do, people need to realise that it is their responsibility to care for the puppy and to find as much information as possible, i have found many sites very helpful, including this one, found many books helpful, as well as talking to people who own such breeds

No i did not get any information but it did not stop me from finding it out myself

mollie is so spoilt and is well groomed and well loved

Oh it makes me sooo mad. I was the same, I got Charlie from a pet store (not knowing any better at the time, sadly). I remember the lady at the pet store clearly. We fell in love with Charlie and had researched labs before we got him. But on the day at the petstore, we told the lady we would like A DAY to think about it and make sure we were doing the right thing; she said no, and she threatened not to sell charlie to us if we took a day to think over it. We had to make a decision there and then. She also told us they had sold him a couple of weeks ago to a couple who had returned him within a week as he was 'too much dog' for them!!

There were NO screening questions, nothing. Just 'He costs this much' and 'Make your decision now'. Their argument for pushing us to make a decision quickly was 'We can't leave him in that glass cage for another day, it's just CRUEL'.

Of course , it was the best thing we ever did getting him. And since then we've learnt so much about labs and he's a joy. But it makes me sick how they acted at the shop.

I never thought of it as a 'consumer' issue but it's not a bad angle to try.

Much later down the track, when we learnt about the truth behind the puppy in the window, I emailed the store and asked them to tell me where Charlie came from (because at the time they told me he was from a 'breeder') and whether he was from a puppy mill (I don't know why I bothered). Predictably, no reply. I wrote to them again in a fit of fury and implied I will be speaking to the media about their pet shop puppies and suddenly, an email in my inbox. "Please give us the date you bought Charlie from and we will try to track down who his breeder was" with no comment on whether they have puppy mill puppies. "

I stopped trying then...but I learnt that sometimes a vague threat that you might go to the media with this issue gets more immediate results.

Edited by poochiemama

I could not believe it the other day when i saw afghan puppies for sale in a pet shop in the hills district. Even worse they claimed they were easy grooming......i felt so sorry for those puppies

:eek::mad:o

I've seen lab and kelpie type puppies being advertised as either low or moderate exercise requirements :o

A friend (ex friend) purchased a Maremma x Blue Heeler from a pet shop.

Lovely dog but not suited to living in the suburbs with two young children, she treated him like a baby, he was rather heavy handed.

He attacked another child before he reached his second birthday :eek:

Resurrecting this to just note my disappointment and seeing Maremma pups in a suburban pet shop, again. :laugh:

I think Maremmas are great dogs who do fantastic jobs, just not for inexperienced people expecting them to be Golden Retrievers. Yes I have heard sales staff describe them as being just like a Golden. :thumbsup:

Are you serious?

I do know some lovely Maremmas but they are not the same temperament as a golden.

Unfortauntely it's a standard line from many sales people :laugh: And it doesn't help that the crossing of Maremma/GR is becoming popular :D

2 out of 3 Italian greyhound puppies are still in the Midland Gate (WA) pet shop. Poor little things look quite stressed. $900 and first vaccination is all I could find out.

:laugh: I hate that pet shop! I am sure they hate me cause I always go in and mouth off about puppy farms, health testing ect. :thumbsup:

I never thought of it as a 'consumer' issue but it's not a bad angle to try.

CHOICE (Australian Consumers Association) already sees buying a puppy/dog as a consumer issue. And one where the potential buyer needs to get as 'right' a puppy/dog as possible, while the welfare of the animal is also taken into consideration.

CHOICE's guidelines to consumers, were put up on their website in 2008 & were jolly good, in gently steering people away from the DD hype of the time.

And introducing some wise words from the Australian Kennel Association & the Australian Veterinary Association. CHOICE also warned against puppy farms. Consumers were pointed to good breeders (having already said that the AKC required certain standards, hint, hint) and to ethical rescue shelters.

http://www.choice.com.au/Reviews-and-Tests...%20a%20dog.aspx

But they didn't specifically mention buying puppies/dogs in petshops where it's a straight commercial transaction. And where there's nothing laid down that the petshop has to supply any in-depth information about the breed & its management and grooming requirements. It's just a case of hand over the money.

It'd be good if CHOICE did some lobbying to make it mandatory that petstores supply that information. And be liable for consumer complaints, if they don't or if it proves inaccurate.. In the meantime, it'd also be good if CHOICE would update their webpage by adding on some info for consumers who are thinking of buying from a petstore. Like, the necessity to get some independent expert advice about dog breeds & their needs.

Edited by mita

Here's one that did my head in a little while back.....

Fluffy little "MalteseXBichons...what colour were they.......BLACK explain that one please pet shop lady????

Are you sure they are not PoodleX ? Red face as she tries to recall if she's got it wrong?

The pet shop near where I work in Brisbane has Mareema puppies at the moment. Five of the big fellas in a glass box. Poor things. I wish I could break them out and run away with them!! :rofl: to the pet shop!!

I can hear it now "just like white Golden Retrievers'.. :laugh:

The pet shop near where I work in Brisbane has Mareema puppies at the moment. Five of the big fellas in a glass box. Poor things. I wish I could break them out and run away with them!! :wave: to the pet shop!!

I can hear it now "just like white Golden Retrievers'.. :cry:

why don't they just get a white golden retriever?

Maremma x GR is a bad mix :D :D ;)