Anyone With A 'large, Trained' Dog Want Some Movie Work?

FranVT

He has explained this is symbolic etc and I get where he is coming from but it doesn't take many to see things like this and the already seeded fear/ impression etc in peoples brains about certain breeds is fertilized further. Unfortunatley many hours of good PR are always forgotten from even just a couple of seconds of a certain breed shown in this light. Not everyone in our society can separate what is acting/symbolic from real life etc.

SAD BUT TRUE

I wish him luck with the project but I hope it isn't at the cost of more crap sticking to our dogs

That would be my concern, too. I wonder if he'd be willing to have a short clip of the dog acting goofy & friendly in the final credits, just to make the point that the dog is an actor?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He said this Staranais
I’d also be prepared to make a 3 minute documentary to accompany the film about the public’s misunderstanding of large breeds.

That's cool I guess, but will the same people see the two films? I just think it would be nice of him to end the film with a statement like "Cujo the Hell Hound was played by the canine actor Rover" or whatever, and a couple of seconds worth of clip of Rover looking all friendly & cute & harmless. So that the last image people carry away is of Rover acting friendly not vicious.

He said this Staranais
I’d also be prepared to make a 3 minute documentary to accompany the film about the public’s misunderstanding of large breeds.

That's cool I guess, but will the same people see the two films? I just think it would be nice of him to end the film with a statement like "Cujo the Hell Hound was played by the canine actor Rover" or whatever, and a couple of seconds worth of clip of Rover looking all friendly & cute & harmless. So that the last image people carry away is of Rover acting friendly not vicious.

That would be great!

Just to show that the dog always has two sides to it.

Hey guys, Will here,

For $250 Ill teach your dog to speak on cue .

That would be incredible!

However, we are shooting on the 3rd - 5th of October (just over a week from now) and Jumbles very rarely barks. (Though she has a lovely deep woof when she does)

If you still think you could do it you'd be a life-saver though!

Yep, that's what I'm worried about, that he will just get some ridiculous tough dude who will beat/trick his dog into doing the things he wants.

Rest assured, I would never work with someone who didn't have the utmost care for their dog's well-being. I'm the guy who can roll his eyes and yawn through the scariest of horror films but the moment they show a hound in danger I start shaking like a leaf.

Also Im trying to picture the actress and the dog bailing her up, if she isnt dog savy she will most likely freak out...

We've been very diligent throughout casting to make sure our actors are 100% dog-savvy. :rofl:

That would be my concern, too. I wonder if he'd be willing to have a short clip of the dog acting goofy & friendly in the final credits, just to make the point that the dog is an actor?

I'd be happy to do that! I think it would be a nice little contrast.

Just the fact that you asked for a rottie tells me and others that you (and plenty others) associate certain breeds of the dogs with being killers.

I see what you mean, but it's more that I really like their big heads. They read incredibly well on camera, they have fantastic eyes, plus they're really good at that pulling that kind of inquisitive "I'm really really smart, don't you wish you knew what I'm thinking" face, which is pretty important for this role.

That said, I'd be equally happy to cast a staffy or a labrador (preferably black though, we need a dark coloured dog for contrasting tones against the light backgrounds), or any other medium to large sized dog that has an intelligent and inquisitive look.

I really really want to stress the point that I don't want to exploit anyone. I wrote this script because I love spending time with dogs and I thought it would be really interesting to work with dogs on film.

I really really want to stress the point that I don't want to exploit anyone. I wrote this script because I love spending time with dogs and I thought it would be really interesting to work with dogs on film.

Sorry I can't help you out you with this (see previous post about our clubs and ANKC code of ethics) I do understand what you are trying to acheive but my concerns are still as previously posted. Shame it wasn't a different circumstance as I think it would be very interesting.

If you are ever after a big goof ball let me know, I have a clown here but he is strictly for warm fuzzy stuff.LOL

Cheers

I'd be happy to do that! I think it would be a nice little contrast.

Hooray, thanks. :rofl:

I don't really see an issue, it's a film...it's not like the dog will actually be attacking anyone.

You can use my dog if ya want, he speaks on command but he is not anywhere as nicely trained as other peoples dogs on here. Unfortunately, he is a mutt so you may not be interested (benefit to being a mutt though is it doesnt discredit any particular breed LOL).

EDIT: On second thoughts probably not a good idea. Once you start him barking it can sometimes be hard to shut him up again LMAO, plus he'd be wagging his tail the whole time and trying to get cuddles every 5 minutes. And he is probably not well trained enough though he has potential. He does kinda meet requirements though, large blocky head, black, can look staunch, but also have that other look you were talking about.

Good luck with it though.

Edited by lanabanana

I don't really see an issue, it's a film...it's not like the dog will actually be attacking anyone.

You can use my dog if ya want, he speaks on command but he is not anywhere as nicely trained as other peoples dogs on here. Unfortunately, he is a mutt so you may not be interested (benefit to being a mutt though is it doesnt discredit any particular breed LOL).

EDIT: On second thoughts probably not a good idea. Once you start him barking it can sometimes be hard to shut him up again LMAO, plus he'd be wagging his tail the whole time and trying to get cuddles every 5 minutes. And he is probably not well trained enough though he has potential. He does kinda meet requirements though, large blocky head, black, can look staunch, but also have that other look you were talking about.

Good luck with it though.

hey lana, he sounds like he could be great. what we could do is phase the shoot so that we get the calm stuff early on when he's still relaxed and the cutaways to him woofing and being energetic afterwards. do you reckon he'd be able to sit still a couple of times for about 30 - 40 seconds?

mutts are awesome in my opinion anyway, and i'm sure the crew would be giving him heaps of cuddles as it is.

Jumble, perhaps send Herr Rottweiler a PM. He is a qualified trainer, has Rottweilers and has done a lot of tv and film work before. I don't know if he will have issues as a member of the CC as others have mentioned, but even if he cannot or will not participate he will possibly know someone suitable you can contact.