"grown Up" Breeds

corvus

I read somewhere just the other day that wolves are actually very different from dogs. Even when the wolves are raised with humans and tame, they still behave differently from dogs that are raised the same way. The main difference being that when given a problem to solve, the wolves would completely ignore the humans, while the dogs looked to their humans for help to solve it.

I for one consider shar pei to be "grown up" dogs. Even as young pups they are much more settled then other breeds I have owned, or come across. Over my years as an owner and breeder I have taken many pups and dogs to puppy preschool/obedience and more recently agility training at local obedience clubs. I have found the shar pei, even as young pups have been so much calmer and more able to focus then most other breeds of pups, that generally want to play and jump and just have a rollicking good time. The Shar Pei are far more interested in the people around them than the other pups/dogs. Interestingly, research has found the shar pei to be one of the breeds very close genetically to the wolf.

http://www.hilltopanimalhospital.com/dog%20genome.htm

The nine breeds mentioned as closer genetically to the wolf are:

Shar Pei, Chow Chow, Shiba Inu, Akita, Basenji, Afghan, Saluki, Malamute, Husky

Edited by badboyz

I'll take a wild guess :confused: and say that the primitive breeds would be more 'grown up'.

Canaan Dog, mexican hairless, Basenji, Dingo?

I've found some sight hounds very grown up, and maybe the stockk guardians who have to be on their own and make decisions?

Ibizan and Pharoah hounds are meant to be primitive, and probably are, but I've seen some really funny, crazy, lovely ones, so maybe I'm BARKING up the wrong tree :laugh::laugh:

My cattle dog was very very grown up.

My two now, spinone and vizsla , are extra extra NOT GROWN UP :eek::eek::rofl:

I read somewhere just the other day that wolves are actually very different from dogs. Even when the wolves are raised with humans and tame, they still behave differently from dogs that are raised the same way. The main difference being that when given a problem to solve, the wolves would completely ignore the humans, while the dogs looked to their humans for help to solve it.

But do dogs know we're human or are they just looking to their pack leader? I don't think my two think that they're human; they wouldn't have the concept. They think I'm just one of them, albeit taller with handy access to the food.

I was guessing primitive breeds as well. I guess Lappies and Vallhunds are an old breed, but they are so not "grown up" breeds. They act like juveniles. I like the way I look at a wolf and see a serious, self-contained, independent animal. Humans are not something very special to them like they are to most dogs. I think that wolves are very different to dogs. I've always like Akitas and LG breeds because they look serious and self-contained.

I for one consider shar pei to be "grown up" dogs. Even as young pups they are much more settled then other breeds I have owned, or come across. Over my years as an owner and breeder I have taken many pups and dogs to puppy preschool/obedience and more recently agility training at local obedience clubs. I have found the shar pei, even as young pups have been so much calmer and more able to focus then most other breeds of pups, that generally want to play and jump and just have a rollicking good time. The Shar Pei are far more interested in the people around them than the other pups/dogs. Interestingly, research has found the shar pei to be one of the breeds very close genetically to the wolf.

http://www.hilltopanimalhospital.com/dog%20genome.htm

The nine breeds mentioned as closer genetically to the wolf are:

Shar Pei, Chow Chow, Shiba Inu, Akita, Basenji, Afghan, Saluki, Malamute, Husky

I would have toa gree with this, I have never found Sebbi to be a bouncy silly puppy, always more mature and reasones behind his actions

I was guessing primitive breeds as well. I guess Lappies and Vallhunds are an old breed, but they are so not "grown up" breeds. They act like juveniles. I like the way I look at a wolf and see a serious, self-contained, independent animal. Humans are not something very special to them like they are to most dogs. I think that wolves are very different to dogs. I've always like Akitas and LG breeds because they look serious and self-contained.

And the opposite is why I adore wheatens and kerries.

There was an article in New Scientist, way back in 1997, where a researcher had described & ranked some domestic dog breeds in terms of the extent to which each one compared with a 'grown up' wolf. Right at the bottom end, Cavaliers (I think it was) came out as never getting further than the level of a 20 week wolf puppy.

I remember reading that article, but couldn't get it up from the NS. However, there was a summary on Don Burke's (sorry about that!) website.

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/factsheet...an-Pooches/2168

BUT I also remember reading a much later article, in the New Scientist (or the Scientific American), making comparisons among dog breeds as a result of the later opening up of genome research. I'm still looking for it. I vaguely remember it referred to certain breeds as more 'ancient' & I was surprised at the dogs on it. Maybe that links with what Monah was saying about primitive dogs breeds.

Edited by mita

What's grown up? If you mean physical neotony, the squashed in face breeds are all puppies. . .and a case could be made for smaller breeds too; and long nosers are more wolf-like. If you mean behaviour you get a different set of answers. I think you need to consider DNA evidence, thus publications written before the dog genome was published add historical interest but can't be taken too seriously.

Not sure about specific breeds but I have had dogs of all different breeds that were/are more 'grown up' than others.

My last Dobe (RIP) was a very grown up, serious dog. He never acted like a puppy or did naughty things. He was the most intelligent dog I've ever known. My current dobe (only 6 months so may grow up yet :confused: ) is completely the opposite. He is a massive, overgrown puppy and is always behaving like one. He is smart and can learn things fairly easily, but is still a silly, dopey puppy and is constantly seeking reassurance from me whereas my last dobe was very self-confident and sure of himself.

Not Labradors :laugh: ;)

Apparently labs are considered as fast to mature? Perhaps that is refering to physical growth though?

:rofl::rofl: Maybe, although they physically mature a bit later than some breeds too. Some labs are puppies forever (it's a gundog thing!! :laugh: )

Apparently labs are considered as fast to mature? Perhaps that is refering to physical growth though?

:rofl::eek: Maybe, although they physically mature a bit later than some breeds too. Some labs are puppies forever (it's a gundog thing!! :laugh: )

:rofl:

Even my older boy Rover when he's being all calm and grown up... hes still a complete doofus. I can't see a Labrador as Serious.

:rofl::o Maybe, although they physically mature a bit later than some breeds too. Some labs are puppies forever (it's a gundog thing!! :laugh: )

:rofl:

Even my older boy Rover when he's being all calm and grown up... hes still a complete doofus. I can't see a Labrador as Serious.

They are serious if there is food around!

There's no more determined animal than a lab on the prowl for food :eek: