Maiden Dog Mating Problem

yap

help with maiden mating  

5 members have voted

1. 1. maiden dog mating

• help with maiden dog mating

Just adding here...I only asked about the dog's anatomy because on occasions a dog does have an issue with the opening at the end of the sheath.

Under normal circumstances, I'm well aware that you may not see a dog's penis at all.....but if you are actually guiding the dog, you would definitely at least "feel" it and I got the impression that the OP wasn't even doing that.

Unless the bitch is practically standing on her head to help the dog and unless he is really, REALLY keen, I'm still inclined to think that she's not ready too.

And just a comment to the OP. You say that the other dog you wanted to use last season was too rough....I'm probably not going to make myself too popular here but that's YOUR problem and not the bitches problem. She'll tell the dog if it is too much for her. A good stud will do what he has to do to achieve his ultimate goal and if the breeding was the best possible one for the bitch, then you (the OP) will just have to toughen up and let it happen.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inexperienced male may take a day or 2 to get her, which is fine, the fertile period is more than a day or 2.

Some dogs are ready at day day 7 & others may not be until day 15, or unusually even later.

I would not interfere in any way yet.

Let them go together if both are willing, he is mounting & she is tarting up to him, so sounds good.

Seperate after about 20 mins as he will get exhausted, then let him try again after an hour, then rest & so on.

He probably just isn't hitting the spot but he will.

As posted you won't see his penis at all until he has finished & withdrawn.

Stay with them but let them get on with it. When he is in, hold her under the belly so she doesn't do anything silly like struggle & try & sit down or bite, & make sure neither pulls away from the other.

It is not a problem yet, he just needs a chance to learn. After the 1st time they have no trouble at all.

I don't do progesterone testing, and I offer the stud dog only minimal help - mostly I point and wave the first time and after that I expect him to be able to do it. My expectation is that a "decent" stud dog will tell me when the bitch is ready, and get on with the job himself - but he must allow me to help if necessary.

I'm not slack, I just have very firm ideas about the fitness of dog and bitch to be having pups, that go further than vet or genetic health tests. My idea of a good mating, is sitting in the kitchen enjoying a chardy with the owner of the dog. :rofl

It's hard to give advice without seeing the dogs. The bitch will often stand and appear compliant, but it not ovulating. Feel the vulva. If she is ready to mate, the vulva will be very soft - it will feel the same as your top lip does. If her vulva feels the same as the end of your nose, she is not ready - too hard, and the male probably will not achieve penetration.

Most dogs will keep the sheath over the penis, extending it only as they actually enter the bitch.

The last mating I did (outside dog) the bitch was ready from 14th to 22nd day (from memory), had 7 pups.

Edited by Jed

Just my opinion. (Did not see what breed of dogs or their ages so this is a general opinion).

10 days my not be ready just yet. Some bitches can get very randy and not be right on the mark ready yet.

Some males will only breed them when they are right on the mark. Nothing wrong with this and in fact is good to have as you can be sure the bitch really was ready with this type of dog.

So I would just leave them alone, stop fussing over them and just let them play and be together. Fussing over them and trying to help will usually make it take longer. I am always careful with a males dog first time to not stress him out.

Also a male that is nice to the bitches, takes their time at least offers a date and dinner first, those are the best stud dogs to have. They can often mate bitches that no other dog can get near. Just something to think about.

I do not usually see a males dogs penis prior to him mating the bitch, when they mount they will bring it out when they are ready to use it...LOL Dogs will often mount and play around many times prior to actually breeding. The younger and more inexperienced they are, the more they will play at it. Give them time. They will figure it out.

Oh thank you sooooo much for your support that sounds like an extremely good idea. Iwill take that on board. thank you for that. We have Beautifiul dogs such gentlemen. thank you again :mad lol

Inexperienced male may take a day or 2 to get her, which is fine, the fertile period is more than a day or 2.

Some dogs are ready at day day 7 & others may not be until day 15, or unusually even later.

I would not interfere in any way yet.

Let them go together if both are willing, he is mounting & she is tarting up to him, so sounds good.

Seperate after about 20 mins as he will get exhausted, then let him try again after an hour, then rest & so on.

He probably just isn't hitting the spot but he will.

As posted you won't see his penis at all until he has finished & withdrawn.

Stay with them but let them get on with it. When he is in, hold her under the belly so she doesn't do anything silly like struggle & try & sit down or bite, & make sure neither pulls away from the other.

It is not a problem yet, he just needs a chance to learn. After the 1st time they have no trouble at all.

Yes thank you for that advice sounds good. I get worried about him being exausted but keepn a very closr eye on them. I have had to separate on & off all day.

Arrr the joys of dogs, you gota love em every minute you have with them. thak you kindly :mad

I don't do progesterone testing, and I offer the stud dog only minimal help - mostly I point and wave the first time and after that I expect him to be able to do it. My expectation is that a "decent" stud dog will tell me when the bitch is ready, and get on with the job himself - but he must allow me to help if necessary.

I'm not slack, I just have very firm ideas about the fitness of dog and bitch to be having pups, that go further than vet or genetic health tests. My idea of a good mating, is sitting in the kitchen enjoying a chardy with the owner of the dog. :rofl

It's hard to give advice without seeing the dogs. The bitch will often stand and appear compliant, but it not ovulating. Feel the vulva. If she is ready to mate, the vulva will be very soft - it will feel the same as your top lip does. If her vulva feels the same as the end of your nose, she is not ready - too hard, and the male probably will not achieve penetration.

Most dogs will keep the sheath over the penis, extending it only as they actually enter the bitch.

The last mating I did (outside dog) the bitch was ready from 14th to 22nd day (from memory), had 7 pups.

Yes thank you, I am aware that the vulva should be swollen like a peach & soft at the top, i think i might be just worrying too much, but thankyo to everybody for their right advice as i so appreciate it as i havnt contact with mum (reg Breeder for 45yrs) at present. thank you :mad

Just adding here...I only asked about the dog's anatomy because on occasions a dog does have an issue with the opening at the end of the sheath.

Under normal circumstances, I'm well aware that you may not see a dog's penis at all.....but if you are actually guiding the dog, you would definitely at least "feel" it and I got the impression that the OP wasn't even doing that.

Unless the bitch is practically standing on her head to help the dog and unless he is really, REALLY keen, I'm still inclined to think that she's not ready too.

And just a comment to the OP. You say that the other dog you wanted to use last season was too rough....I'm probably not going to make myself too popular here but that's YOUR problem and not the bitches problem. She'll tell the dog if it is too much for her. A good stud will do what he has to do to achieve his ultimate goal and if the breeding was the best possible one for the bitch, then you (the OP) will just have to toughen up and let it happen.

Yes that s fine, i know they can have same probs just as us humans.

Edited by joined@theheart

Are you absolutely positive she's ready? Is she an experienced bitch?

Sometimes a maiden dog needs more than one helper. Somebody to control the bitch and another person to guide and help the dog.

I know that when I've assisted breedings with a maiden dog, they can be a bit precious when the end of their penis makes contact and keep on touching and then jumping back, so a dedicated handler who can guide him with one hand and then help him "home" with a well-applied hand on the rump and then an assist to balance whilst he learns how to thrust can be very useful.

I will give them a bit more time but I do have to separate constantly as they just want each other wen i let them out togther so he can rest, he's on her all time, I dont want him to get completely exausted. She is now letting out a soft srceam so he must be getting close but being only the 10th day i will give them more time & her volva isn't quite ready, just letting them practice for a while. :mad

Are you absolutely positive she's ready? Is she an experienced bitch?

Sometimes a maiden dog needs more than one helper. Somebody to control the bitch and another person to guide and help the dog.

I know that when I've assisted breedings with a maiden dog, they can be a bit precious when the end of their penis makes contact and keep on touching and then jumping back, so a dedicated handler who can guide him with one hand and then help him "home" with a well-applied hand on the rump and then an assist to balance whilst he learns how to thrust can be very useful.

I have to assist on my own for now but i gota go separate again.

lol

Good Luck, and don't worry so much.... :laugh: if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen...this time. I'm sure your mum understands that she's not there to help this time so it might be a miss.

I hope this won't be a miss as my other maiden didn't take just a few weeks ago. :provoke:

Do you have a good repro vet or experienced breeder who can do fresh AI's if you aren't able to secure a natural ?

Although its better all round if they can just do the deed, if everyone is normal and its only inexperience that holds things up, then a couple of fresh AI's will at least give you hope and a chance.

fifi

Do you have a good repro vet or experienced breeder who can do fresh AI's if you aren't able to secure a natural ?

Although its better all round if they can just do the deed, if everyone is normal and its only inexperience that holds things up, then a couple of fresh AI's will at least give you hope and a chance.

fifi

No, I think its just inexperience & early days so I will give them a go tonight, the Bitch isn't really ready yet, Its all just practice at present but I can see he is getting more hard at it every time he tries. Resting them again now.

TRhanks lol :provoke: he should sleep well tonight I hope

I wouldn't be using any lubricant unless you are 100% sure it won't kill the sperm.

Can that happen? I havn't heard of that before, but maybe you have a good point there. will keep that in mind. thanks for that.

:laugh:

Yes, AI kits usually contain semen safe lubricant.

I've PM'd you SWAY's shop.

fifi

got that thanks fifi, yes i just found that out about safe lubricant. I put on a lubricant gell that is for humans, same story, but i dont think i will use again? mmmm

Sure glad everyone here has given me lots of really good advice & info. appreciate it guys. thank you to all. I am giving the pair a rest tonight as I really think they have had enuf probably a little too much, Will check the girl 2moro & see. I will let the boy have her when she,s bang on I think thats best. they,ve had enough practice. thanks to you all again. :provoke:

p.s. The jelly I used is KY personal lubricant. i just read its ok but i,m not keen on that idea regardless.

Will update this topic tomorrow. thank you to everyone you have all been a really great help. I welcome any right advice on this topic please send me a msg if you have any more advice & I will get back to you asap.

One thing that I feel needs to be mention, some bitches can have strictures just inside their vulva's. I would recommend you have your bitch checked by a vet to make sure she doesn't have a stricture. If she has a stricture it possibly might need to be nicked so your girl can be mated.

Basically as I understand it a stricture in a bitch is somewhat like a hymen in a woman that is hard to break, the male's penis is not strong enough to break the hymen and it requires a vet.

Good luck with your breeding.