Car Sickness

Gretel

Oh my god GoldD- your poor thing!

I've never had a carsick dog before, Clover threw up once when we picke dher up- was fine after that. Mindy had some anxiety issues- she would salivate and poop in her crate which was pretty bad, probably worse than vomiting but it wasn't genuine carsickness.

We fixed that by putting her in the footwell, which seemed to have an immediate good result and she hasn't had issues since, she has even travelled for an hour in the crate (which she hated before) with no problem.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it is motion sickness, they see things moving and cant focus on them and then they get "dizzy" then sick.

covering their eyes so they cant see works, wither the snood, or a covered crate of the fotwell, anything as long as they cant see things whizzing by.

this worked for my car sick gsd

My girl suffered from it when she was younger. On instruction from my trainer I fed her in the car BUT I never drove with her eating or after eating.

Once she was comfortable just eating in the car I would then have the car running whilst I fed her, again I never drove with her eating or just after. After doing this for a while I have never had an issue again, she is now 3 and no slip ups :bolt:

only if you have company in the car winding down the window and having the dogs head stick out while someone hold onto them or there body while attached to lead keeps mine from crying and fresh air did them the word of good

Are you aware that in some parts of Australia this is highly illegal? Aside from the fact that you are running the risk of your dog getting something in its eyes or even losing its head if you happened to collide with something.

i never knew it was illegal? only if they werent tied they are more of a distraction with it up barking louding constantly tangling themseves in there seatbelts and i havent been pulled over with police driving by ?

As I said, in some parts of Australia it is illegal to have any part of a dog hanging from a vehicle. It is also law now in some parts of Australia to have animals restrained inside a moving vehicle.

You do what you like, but I honestly cannot see many of the people here following your advice and allowing their dog to hang out of the car.

my dogs are restrained im not stupid enough to let my dogs not be, they dont hang out of the car either i was saying they are more of a distraction being in the car when they are restrained without the window down this isnt some popularity vote i dont know why you are having a go saying "I honestly cannot see many of the people here following your advice and allowing their dog to hang out of the car" so speak for yourself and if others would like to tell me then they can themselves.

you see dogs on utes hanging around with their head situated around the car dont you.

Our sheltie used to get car sick, she would be yellow with drool by the time we got to a show. Sway suggested we feed her ginger nut biscuits on the way home, one for her, one for us lol. No more sickly yellow drool from then on. We did go through two whole packets of biscuits though lol.

Anky

Cerenia is a tablet for dogs to prevent motion sickness, we've got it for our boy for when we travel long distances and its great. :rofl:

One morning we didn't feed Mars anything he managed to throw up poop (which he must have eaten that morning) and water.. nice and runny.. so we gave the tablets a go and presto, had him in the car for a 3 hour car ride to the coast which he had previously been on and sick from, but this time.. no vomit! :cool:

my dogs are restrained im not stupid enough to let my dogs not be, they dont hang out of the car either i was saying they are more of a distraction being in the car when they are restrained without the window down this isnt some popularity vote i dont know why you are having a go saying "I honestly cannot see many of the people here following your advice and allowing their dog to hang out of the car" so speak for yourself and if others would like to tell me then they can themselves.

you see dogs on utes hanging around with their head situated around the car dont you.

Errrr...no, actually I don't. I live in a part of Australia where it IS illegial to have dogs hanging off or out of a moving vehicle. All dogs must be restrained so that they cannot do so.

I'm not haing a go, I'm merely pointing out that your advice is really NOT all that clever, nor is it legal (despite what you may have done yourself...just because you do/have done it doesn't make it right) and therefore, you need to be careful giving it on a public forum.

Incidentally, I find it very difficult to read your posts so would you mind using capital letters and a bit of punctuation in future. I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks this but as I'm the one "having a go" I might as well "go" the whole hog.

BTW, I don't need to take part in a popularity vote...I may not be the most popular person here, but I HAVE been a member for a VERY long time and many people know that my advice is generally worth at least considering. Unlike yours...........

so speak for yourself and if others would like to tell me then they can themselves.

I agree with ellz Maybe do a search on this forum for dogs hanging off the back of utes and see what the general opinion is.

I say ginger as well, gretel/ And check your driving - you might be jerking when changing gears without realising.