Removing Front Declaws

my_sibe_owns_me

I did a search but didnt find any helpful topics...

Question time!

Do you remove your own? Do you take them to vet? If you do them yourself what advice do you have and what procedure works best?

Thanks in advance!

My litters go to the vet on their 3rd day - get de-claws removed and a good check-up.

I have a friend who has been breeding for 30+ years remove them for me.

She comes to my home and removes them around day 3.

She cuts them out and then applies Condy's Crystals.

By the time i have the next puppy to hand her she is already done.

I did mine, day 2 or 3. Only 2 pups and much reading up and watching of video's to make sure I would get it right. My regular vet was away, the others looked at me like I was really, really bad for wanting them off.

Perhaps the vet does not usually have breeders in with breeds that have them removed. Lots of breeds get to keep their front dew claws so unless the vet sees a lot of litters they may not be used to doing it. I have never removed front dew claws and after reading up on studies that point to the fact that the wrist is more stable for activities like agility if the dew claws are left on, I'm glad I never considered it.

When possible I try to breed them without back dew claws as I believe it is a dominant gene and at least one parent had to have had them to produce them in the puppies.

I get the vet to do it when they all go in for the day after birth check up, I put mum in car while it is done. When i was able to go to the docking vet, I would assist all through the process and they shouldn't make a fuss about them being done (though they did complain about being put on their backs!)

i prefer to get it done sooner rather then later.

I do my own on day 2-3 depending on strength of pup, I do not remove the whole thumb joint which requires a deep incission, IMO, you only need to remove the quick area of the claw, because without the quick a claw can not grow, this leave very minimal scaring, in 30 years and about 18 litters I have had 2 claws grow back where I didnt take enough off. I hate the look of large dew claw scares, specially on white feet.

Cheers

Hogz