How Early Can You Have Puppy Desexed?

LoveMyLabEva

Just wondering what the earliest age I can get my puppy desexed. I've already got 2weeks leave for work booked in November for something else but I was wondering if my puppy would be too young to be desexed then when she will be 5months (21weeks). I just figured that way I could be home to look after her post surgery.

is this too early??

What do you want to do with your dog? Are you a definite die-hard sports competitor or is she a companion dog only?

Many dogs are desexed at 7 weeks by responsible rescues and breeders. Generally as long as they are 6 weeks or older and weigh 1kg or more; they can be desexed from a medical point of view.

Like so many topics, people have very strong views about whether this is "too young" or not.

What breed is she?

Shes a Labrador

I'd suggest you wait a couple of months at least. Talk to your vet but I'd recommend no earlier than 7 months for such a big breed. Later would be better but if you don't want to deal with a season 7 months sounds about right.

What does her breeder recommmend?

My labrador puppy was desexed just a few days ago at just under 6 months old as ALL guide dog puppies are. I questioned them about the age of desexing and they have found no problems with desexing labradors at 6 months old.

If you're wanting to compete in agility/flyball, best to wait until around 18 months.

ETA: there is a recent thread on desexing you may find useful.

Edited by aussielover

Akira was desexed at five and a half months, and we had her booked in and she started showing the signs of an early season, so it was lucky we had her done then because if we'd waiting until six or seven months, she probably would have come in to season. And Huskies are medium dogs.

Earlier is not better, it's convenient and that's about it. There's no difference between desexing at 6 weeks and desexing at 6 months. There are benefits in delaying spey/neuter.

If you want your dog to reach it's full potential and/or you are planning on doing any sports, then it's wise to leave the spey/neutering until the puppy has stopped growing.

Dogs and bitches that are desexed earlier, can and do grow taller, then tend to look more weedy than animals that have been allowed to mature and you will certainly see differences in the heads ( especially in the bull breeds ).

Earlier is not better, it's convenient and that's about it. There's no difference between desexing at 6 weeks and desexing at 6 months. There are benefits in delaying spey/neuter.

If you want your dog to reach it's full potential and/or you are planning on doing any sports, then it's wise to leave the spey/neutering until the puppy has stopped growing.

Dogs and bitches that are desexed earlier, can and do grow taller, then tend to look more weedy than animals that have been allowed to mature and you will certainly see differences in the heads ( especially in the bull breeds ).

I agree with ReadySetGo and Luvsdogs. To many problems associated with early age spay/neuter especially with medium to large dogs. If you have a choice go for tubal ligation or vasectomy.

My puppy was done at 8 weeks by the AWL and I do find that very convenient.

We are doing agility training now, she's quite robust but perhaps not as boofy as a normal ACD but then she is a cross with who knows what. She's not super obedient but I see that more as my fault, in combination with an ACD tendency to think for themselves. eg Why should I do that?

http://www.ndn.org.au/

If you do want to leave it till later - consider asking your vet for canine contraceptive pill (for females) to prevent her from going into season. So then you won't have to deal with the mess, and unwanted visitors, and potential unwanted pregnancy.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with ReadySetGo and Luvsdogs. To many problems associated with early age spay/neuter especially with medium to large dogs. If you have a choice go for tubal ligation or vasectomy.

What a good idea :laugh: never even thought of this.I had oftened wondered though re hormones & if they were affected.

They can hardly say "i'm having a hot flush" and I want some replacement hormones.

I'll be going for the aboves.

Thanks

ETA,

Thinking about this I have a few questions.

Vasectomy so the male could still mate although no sperm?

Tube Litigation in the female,now this would also mean she would still have a season but not fall pregnant.....wondering if perhaps the womb...partial hysterectomy could be done & just leave the ovaries???

Vet or Vet nurse on here mayb able to enlighten us?????

Edited by bridie

All my rescue foster pups are done around 8-10 weeks and over 1 kg... but that's because we don't rehome undesexed dogs in rescue...

For my own girls, I had them both done at around 2 years old, but any future dogs will be desexed younger.

I agree with those advising you to wait until your girl is physically "matured" before desexing.

T.

My boy is now fully grown, weighs 7kg about 13 inches to shoulder, is a poodle cross schnauzer. He was done at 19 weeks. I'm curious after reading all the responses, was he done too early? My vet and his Obedience trainer both said to get him done early, I didn't really look further into it. But after reading this I'm wondering if was mature enough. Do you think at his size now, he was done too early? What could be the disadvantages for him being done at 19 weeks?

Just remember that if you allow your bitch to have more than one 'season' there are limited health benefits of spaying after that.

I recommend spay around 6 months prior to the first season, but I am a Vet nurse and base my decision on health reasons not performance.

At the end o the day, ever owner is different and the decision is entirely yours. personal prefernce really.