Flies Vs Ears

NOKKIE

Hi

Can anyone please recommend a good treatment for flybite on my 2 bullmastiffs ears using Troy fly repellent it dos help>But we live in QLD so have 2 reapply several times a day which isnt always possible also a good flyrepellent for all over . They are both fully grown so preferably in a bulk size.

Thanks in advance :laugh:

We have had the same problem with our dogs that live outside. So far all the repellents we have used need to be reapplied several times a day and that is not a option. What has worked for us is applying heavy grease to the ears. The down side is that the dirt sticks to it.

Having worked in a large pet supply warehouse some years ago, I heard many opinions from customers on fly repellants but the one that seemed the most popular was vaseline mixed with citronella oil. It coats the ears, softens and protects the skin and repels the flies. Best of all it is cheap to make. Not sure on the mix quantities but I think just enough citronella to leave a faint scent in the vaseline.

Having worked in a large pet supply warehouse some years ago, I heard many opinions from customers on fly repellants but the one that seemed the most popular was vaseline mixed with citronella oil. It coats the ears, softens and protects the skin and repels the flies. Best of all it is cheap to make. Not sure on the mix quantities but I think just enough citronella to leave a faint scent in the vaseline.

Given that Citronella can be a skin irritant, I'm not sure I'd be wanting to use it in any quantity near a fly bitten ear.

I'd recommend Septicide for ears. It's an antiseptic cream with an insecticide. You can buy it at saddleries and rural supply places.

A horse insect repellent like Repel-X would be a good general fly deterrant.

Our dogs do not get regular flea stuff applied- so when flies are bad- we use permoxin as a spray .. mostly on the ears and feet. Not sure how this would go if you are using flea kill products as well.

Any actual fly bitten patches get paw paw cream applied lightly... or the purple spray CETRIGEN works well.. but stains are long lasting and can be rubbed off on furniture!

I've found the Troy repellant cream to be the best, although inconvienient to apply to large areas. When April was alive the flys really went to town on her ears. I bought a cream antiseptic in a dark blue tube, sorry can't remember the name, only drawback it was a vivid yellow. Not a good look & I'm not sure it worked that well.

Hi

Can anyone please recommend a good treatment for flybite on my 2 bullmastiffs ears using Troy fly repellent it dos help>But we live in QLD so have 2 reapply several times a day which isnt always possible also a good flyrepellent for all over . They are both fully grown so preferably in a bulk size.

Thanks in advance :o

One of my dogs (the one with the pointy ears :laugh: ) gets bitten quite badly during the summer months. I've found that applying a good layer of Vaseline to the tips every day or two keeps them away....makes her ear tips look a bit manky, but that doesn't bother me, and she's alot happier!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

We have tried lots of things over the years. One dog none really worked unless you could reapply 3 or 4 times a day.

Now days I use Advantix which helps repel, Paw Paw cream, Vaseline, and a roll on Aeroguard.

THANKS Everyone :) for your replies have been using paw paw and human repellent the last few days. Am pretty keen to try the grease & Repel-X will get some tomorrow .Vaseline dos work but it melts really quick up here and i have caught them licking it off each others ears :D My girl Sookie always suffers more than my boy Nevvie we tried anthoner 1 once same tube as the troy but the cream was Green worked great didnt melt like the troy but after a week of using it Sookie broke out in a pimply like rash on her face and her Lymph glands in her neck swelled up. Am not 100% sure it was from the cream but am to scared to try it again to find out. Such a shame because it worked great THANKS AGAIN ;)

don't just stop at putting stuff on the dogs. Get yourself some "enviro" fly traps of something similar and place them around your yard ( safely up and away from the dogs ) they make a huge difference.

I've also found that eucalyptus oil mixed with water , in a spray bottle, keeps the flies off the brick work around my verandah.

don't just stop at putting stuff on the dogs. Get yourself some "enviro" fly traps of something similar and place them around your yard ( safely up and away from the dogs ) they make a huge difference.

I've also found that eucalyptus oil mixed with water , in a spray bottle, keeps the flies off the brick work around my verandah.

Thanks RSG no i would never stop putting stuff of them i do use the troy daily but was just looking for something a bit more natural and longer lasting i also just brought 6months supply of spot on i got a really good price for these but they dont have the fly repellent in them have you tried them ones & if so do they work.