Dog Registration

judy69

My husband and I are living on the road on the road fulltime and were wondering if anyone knows how to register a dog if you don't have a fixed address. We don't live under any council or shire so aren't sure what we are supposed to do. Any help or ideas about this is greatly appreciated.

Most councils in SA don't require a dog to be registered in their area unless the dog is staying there for a certain period of time. Eg two weeks or more.

But what you want is if the dog escapes and is found by someone - that you can get it back before the dog is PTS by the council-pound-shelter system. An unregistered, unmicrochipped, old or grumpy dog - has about 3 days to a week tops to live.

But what address do you put on the microchip registration?

I would definitely get the dog microchipped and registered on all four Australian databases with your mobile phone number(s) as contact for starters.

What do you put for address for electoral roll? Tax? Medicare? Drivers licence?

Do you have family or friend you'd trust with your dog if something happened? Maybe get it registered there? Or make a deal with the RSPCA or AWL in exchange for an appropriate sized donation to board your dog and contact you if it's found somewhere? Ie register the dog to their address?

4 databases?

When a dog is microchipped is it automatically registered with the 4 databases or just one?

And if its just one, how does one go about registering with others?

We travel alot, sometimes for a while and being on all 4 data bases would put my mind at more rest in case something went wrong.

4 databases?

When a dog is microchipped is it automatically registered with the 4 databases or just one?

And if its just one, how does one go about registering with others?

We travel alot, sometimes for a while and being on all 4 data bases would put my mind at more rest in case something went wrong.

Hi there, the chip number is registered to one database. My understanding is that they other databases, would prob want to charge you to transfer details to their database. I would recommend Central Animal Records. As long as all your contacts are current, I am sure it should be fine. What states are you travelling in?

There are several databases. Most states deal with their own but there are some databases that are utilised by more than one state. NSW has a standalone database. Vic and SA use the same and I am not really clear about all of the others.

If it were me, I would take the time and pay any fees applicable to list the chip on ALL databases where possible.

From the RSPCA.org website.

There are four private national databases in Australia and one council register in NSW. They are the Australian Animal Registry, Central Animal Records, the National Pet Registry and http://www.petsafe.com.au plus the NSW council registry – the Companion Animal register. If you have your microchip number and do not know which database your pet is listed on you can search all registries except the NSW council registry at http://www.petaddress.com.au/. Petaddress is a search facility only and does not hold any records; if your search is successful you will be redirected to the appropriate registry so that you may check or change your contact details. If your search is unsuccessful please contact your vet or microchip implanter to find out which registry your pet is listed in.

Someone else may also be able to clarify which databases are checked routinely, particularly in NSW. I can vaguely recall comments about NSW pounds only checking certain registries but I might have this wrong.

It is safe to assume though that if you register with every database Australia wide, you *should* be ok.

Edited by ~Anne~

My husband and I are living on the road on the road fulltime and were wondering if anyone knows how to register a dog if you don't have a fixed address. We don't live under any council or shire so aren't sure what we are supposed to do. Any help or ideas about this is greatly appreciated.

I think dog registration applies to keeping dogs within a council area, so I don't think if you haven't got a fixed address that an unregistered dog passing through places breaches any laws as such unless perhaps some regions require all dogs to be registered somewhere. As a last resort, I guess if questioned about your dog's registration somewhere, you could say you have just got the dog and in the process of sorting it out to be within the couple of weeks grace period for registering a new dog???

Thanks everyone for your help with my registration query. Our puppy is microchipped and is on the Central Animal Records data base so like some of you said I think this should be ok. He was on the NSW one but that isn't a national register. I think I will just leave things as they are. :)

I would just make very sure that your second contact on the CAR database is someone with a landline, or a mobile which is pretty reliable - in case you happen to be travelling in an area with no mobile coverage. And put both phone numbers on the collar ID too.

Lucky dog - ideal life - travelling with his humans :p