Dizzy Dog

kimzy

We had a doggy play date and everything was fine. Angel was chasing a ball and was puffing pretty hard and she was very excited but then got really wobbly and looked dizzy. We checked her for ticks although she is tick treated, nothing was found and she is resting now although she still wants to play ball. I am really not sure what to do, she seems fine but.......... she is my special girl. I live on an Island and we dont have a vet today although i could take her across to the mainland or should i wait for the vet tomarrow.

Could be a sort of heat stress. Border Collies sometimes will have an episode like this, especially if they're working hard and it's a bit warm. Dunking in tepid water helps in this case - and then keeping them quiet for a while - which it sounds like you're doing.

Another thought just occurred to me - friend's dog (another BC - 8 and very fit) turned out to have heart trouble, so it might be worth having a vet visit with Angel, even if she looks as though she's recovered.

Thank you for your replys. :p

We are definetly going to the vet. She seems recovered but your right, if its her heart then we cant take that chance. Im going to feed her a medium light dinner tonight and keep her quiet. Play dates are very new to her, she was very worked up and excited as well as puffed from chasing the ball. She has always been afraid of other dogs but we have worked on that and she now has her first real doggy friend. (besides our Bundy boy)

She is acting her normal happy self and has had no more dizzy/ wobbly spells that i have seen and she has been with me pretty much all the time. We have an appointment on Monday with the vet on the mainland and i will have her checked out with blood tests or whatever it takes to make sure she is ok. Our favorite vet and the one we usually see is here on the island tuesdays so im not sure if we should wait for him but i already have the Monday appt. I tried to get her in on Sat. but couldnt. I do have the pet ambulance (water taxi) number handy that goes to the 24 vet just in case and the vet nurse is on the Island. I love living out here but in these situations its just hard to know what the right thing to do is sometimes.

There is a condition that to my knowledge tends to affect some breeds of dogs (I could be wrong but memory tells me labradors and possibly kelpies being just two) called "exercise induced collapse".

I don't know much about it. I think Lablover knows a reasonable amount on it. But I haven't seen Lablover here on DOL much in a long time.

I am off to our training classes right now, but if you google it you might come up with some info on it. Just as an additional something to consider as maybe a possibility, if other things don't give you indication of cause.

She is acting her normal happy self and has had no more dizzy/ wobbly spells that i have seen and she has been with me pretty much all the time. We have an appointment on Monday with the vet on the mainland and i will have her checked out with blood tests or whatever it takes to make sure she is ok. Our favorite vet and the one we usually see is here on the island tuesdays so im not sure if we should wait for him but i already have the Monday appt. I tried to get her in on Sat. but couldnt. I do have the pet ambulance (water taxi) number handy that goes to the 24 vet just in case and the vet nurse is on the Island. I love living out here but in these situations its just hard to know what the right thing to do is sometimes.

Do you mind me asking what kind of island you live in? It sounds heavenly (just the idea of being on an island :cheer:)

The Bay Islands, we are in between the Gold Coast and Brisbane. We call them Qlds best kept secret. There are Macleay, with the most services, Karagarra which is the smallest, lamb and Russell. They are about 15 min from the mainland by ferry or 40 min by car barge. Its a great place to live if you are not a big shopper and can live without going to Mcdonalds everyday. :cheer: But we have all the main services like most small towns, police, post office, grocery store, doctors ect...

Fingers crossed that the bloods come back all clear :thumbsup:.

My Mum's Mini Foxie cross has similar 'episodes' usually after a lot of exercise, or if she has not had anything to eat before going for a run/ walk. And once when i was bathing her. Vet could not find anything wrong with her heart or anything like that, and she comes good with having a small ammount of food (blood sugars must drop).

ok.....Bloods came back good :laugh:

The only concern was that her glucose was in the very lowest of the normal range. Other then that everything was good. Angel is a very fit girl.

The vet would like to keep her for a day of observation after fasting her for 12 hours later in the week or early next week. We will work that out but other then that Angel seems fine.

It could well be hypoglycaemia ... A friend's dog collapsed a few times before they found out is was not his heart ..Vets weren't looking for low blood sugar at first.

Once they realised what it was, it was simply a matter of management, from memory .he lived a good long life .

The Bay Islands, we are in between the Gold Coast and Brisbane. We call them Qlds best kept secret. There are Macleay, with the most services, Karagarra which is the smallest, lamb and Russell. They are about 15 min from the mainland by ferry or 40 min by car barge. Its a great place to live if you are not a big shopper and can live without going to Mcdonalds everyday. :rofl: But we have all the main services like most small towns, police, post office, grocery store, doctors ect...

Hmm that makes it hard! :rofl:

Sounds awesome! *googles the islands*