Cody Is Sick - Geting Better Now :-)

I came out to check on Cody as last night he threw up all his food and tonight he only ate half of it and refused all further offerings. I knelt down at his bed, hadn't turned the light on, and put my hand in a big pile of vomit. Light goes on and I see the pile I put my hand in is one of two, I'm guessing it's the second pile because the other one is bigger and chunkier, the pile I put my hand in is slimier too.

Also, he's thrown up on his bed. That tells me it was either really urgent and he had no warning or he was feeling too crappy to get up and throw up on the rug like he did last night.

It could be that it's after 4am and he expects to be sleeping but he looks like crap (well, he is sleeping now but he spent a few minutes looking at me and there's no spark there. I guess I'd have no spark if I'd thrown up two nights in a row).

I have money to take him to the vet. Would it be wrong to wait until Monday though? The normal vet won't be open on a Sunday and the emergency vet will cost an arm & a leg. Don't get me wrong, if he needs the arm & a leg vet he will get it. I guess I'll play it by ear.

I just gave him a little piece of banana because I was starving, I figure he must be too. He was interested and ate it. It was only a little bit, will see how it lasts.

Edited by Lofty Nickers

Hey Nic

My guys throw up from time to time, Atlas moreso cause he eats everything.. and everytime they do it in their beds! (Rather the tiles, i hate washing dog beds)

The only time i take them to the vet is if they keep throwing up, one or two vomits i would not worry about.

But, he is your dog, and if you are worried, then maybe ring a vet and ask can you arrange to pay at a later date?

Hope he is feeling better soon!

Thanks for the advice.

He is a little brighter this morning but he's still not himself. I'm keeping an eye on him today to see what happens. He'll have some chicken and rice for dinner. He's done a poop this morning and it looked normal. If it was coming out both ends in a mess, we'd be off to the vet, no question.

He hasn't eaten anything weird, he's not destructo dog so I'm not concerned he may have eaten something he shouldn't. Sorry Atlas. :D

I'm so glad I had two waterproof covers on his bed. It meant I could wash one and not worry so much about cleaning the mattress if he had another spew, which he didn't because I think his tummy was pretty empty.

If he's eating, drinking, pooing and weeing that's a good sign.

No sign of ticks or anything else that could be making him feel ill?

Could you try rice and chicken?

My dog is a classic for eating things he shouldn't have and just had surgery to remove a bone that got stuck in his intestines - he wasn't eating, drinking or toileting and it was very clear he was very ill so I think you would see the signs if it were a blockage rather than just having a dog that is vomiting but that's just a guess.

Edited by sas

He's not interested in food and not drinking the quantities he normally does. He'll have chicken and rice for dinner but I am taking the advice to let his tummy rest today. He's not interested anyway.

We're not in a tick area, the thought did cross my mind and if we lived in an area with ticks it would have been the first thing I checked.

I took him out to say hi to his favourite neighbours and he didn't perform his usual tricks for them. They said he looked sick.

He's slowing down in general, he can't go the distance on walks any more. He used to be up for 6km (which is two laps of the mountain we live near) with running and silliness, now he won't go 3km. We have to turn back early. I guess there have been signs which on their own don't seem like much but all together add up to a dog who is getting old.

I really do hope I am over reacting as I am known to do. I just feel so bad for my boy.

Fasting him and then rice/chicken or even some i/d food from the vets is a good idea - give his stomach a break.

Vomiting is one thing but if he's not alright in himself then the vets are a good idea.

Hope he's better soon.

I'd be watching him closely for signs of dehydration and make the call earlier rather than later. Even though it's cooler weather he could dehydrate quickly with vomiting and not drinking.

Quite often dogs will pick up a bug or have an upset stomach for whatever reason. The upset passes but they can't recover on their own from dehyration and require IV fluids from the vet.

Poor Cody.

He hasn't thrown up the water. That's good, I guess.

Just got home from the arm & a leg vet. He's had an injection to stop him spewing. If he starts again once the injection wears off in 24 hours, he'll have further tests at the normal vet.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. :)

Edited by Lofty Nickers

Hope the old boy is feeling better this evening.

It is strange isn't it when they start to slow down. Ollie is lucky to walk for half an hour now and even then distance wise that is only about a km (with all the stops, pees, poops and sniffing going on in that half hour)...

Cody has selectively slowed down. :laugh: He's still a mad swimmer. I guess swimming is low impact though.

I'm calling the vet tomorrow and booking him in for the blood tests. Then we'll go from there.

Good news is he's eaten some rice. The first time I tried, he got through about a quarter of a cup and wasn't interested in any more. The next time, he was interested in the idea but couldn't actually eat. Now he's just polished off a whole cup. I think that's enough for now though. :rofl: He's still pretty wiped out.

Hope Cody improves quickly!!!! :cheer: Hopefully it was just a mild tummy bug

Cody refuses to eat at all today. He did half a poop though so that's good and he has drunk some water.

He has never refused to eat. :D We have an appointment at the vet tomorrow at 4pm.

Hi Lofty

I hope your boy is starting to feel better. It is absolutely awful when you have no idea what is making them feel unwell.

I know you have an appointment with your regular vet tomorrow, but in the meantime perhaps you could call the emergency vet and have a chat and see what they think? Is Cody taking water at all?

ETA perhaps you could try mixing the chicken broth in with his water? If he refuses plain water I would be taking him back to the emergency vet.

ETA again - Oh I just saw your post which states he isn't interested in the broth. Perhaps a phone call the vet would help. :eek: he has picked up by now and it's only a tummy upset.

I hope Cody picks up soon. xx

Edited by Kody's_Mum