I Have Now Seen 2 Pp Stores

becandcharch

'We do not support puppy farms'

The 2 I have seen had at least 3 signs in the window stating this.

Where the hell are they getting these dogs from then? From what I have heard/read half the time they dont know where they are coming from as people just dump the dogs off, collect their $$ and off they go. Am I right?

efs

Edited by becandcharch

Where the hell are they getting these dogs from then? From what I have heard/read half the time they dont know where they are coming from as people just dump the dogs off, collect their $$ and off they go. Am I right?

efs

Sounds to me like the negative PR might be starting to bite. :wave:

When they can provide advice on the name and address of the breeder of every pup they sell, I might believe it. In the meantime, my guess is orders to the big puppy factories in Victoria will continue apace. :eek:

They just want people to believe that the places they get their puppies from are not like the places that have been on TV lately. And sadly, most people will see that sign and think "oh good, we can still go and look at the cute puppies at this shop without feeling guilty" because people will believe anything.

efs

What they mean is that they get their dogs from 'registered' breeders - meaning registered with the PIAA (Pet Industry Association of Australia). doesn't mean much, AFAIK they are still not required to health test or worry about who they put to whom etc.

Most PIAA breeders are still puppy farmers.... they have hundreds of dogs and churn out litter after litter... but they are your 'class A' puppy farms, as opposed to the class B puppy farms which PP are claiming that they don't support (so dogs kept in cages, eating food off their own feaces etc etc).

I honestly feel sorry for uneducated people about where to get dogs, because the same terms are used for each breeder and it must be SO confusing for them when they are trying to do the right thing :eek:.

Some people even call themselves "registered" breeders because they are registered with the council (and you usually only need to register with the council because you have 20 or more entire breeding b!tches.... go figure who they might be :wave: )

I actually went into a PP a couple years back and asked if they buy from Puppy Farms. They told me "no, of course not". They said their puppies came from "accidental breedings" and "family hobby breeders".

Uh-huh, sure they do.

They lie.

They buy pups from wherever is best and most economical. They obviously expect people to believe that accidental litters are spoodles, cavoodles whatever, or Labradors. They will buy accidental litters, from byb, from registered ANKC breeders, and from puppy farms. Pet shops in large suburban shopping centres turnover a lot of pups. The "accidental litters" would never fill the glass bowls they keep them in.

And they do keep full records of where the pups were purchased. Name and address of breeder, type of pup, sire and dams breed, date of birth - so, if the pups fall down dead, they can hit the breeder up for a refund. It is very unlikely that they would pass this name on to any purchaser of any pup.

Utter liars.

They just want people to believe that the places they get their puppies from are not like the places that have been on TV lately. And sadly, most people will see that sign and think "oh good, we can still go and look at the cute puppies at this shop without feeling guilty" because people will believe anything.

sadly I agree.

I have visited a 'breeder' who supplies a large number of PP stores in Victoria, and if she isn't a puppy farmer, I don't know what is. 200+ dogs living in squalor, puppies shipped off at 6 weeks old (because they are cuter and smaller), several litters with ringworm (but its not serious and will fix itself, so no need to tell the store or the new owners), breeds being deliberately labelled incorrectly so that they will sell better...

SOME puppies MAY come from the accidentals. I know someone who dumped their 5 week rotty x puppies at a PP up at Caboolture. I know because I used to work with him. I think personally they would take them so long as they would sell. He got $50/pup and they sold them for hundreds more.

You just have to look at another free website to see the increase in the oodles. Same goes for the paper. Who knows. Maybe they are recruiting BYB's to supply their stores. Not a big puppy mill, but small individuals in a house home doing the same. It does not have to be in a big shed to be a puppy mill

Interesting you ask. I walked past ours yesterday and was shocked to see not an oodle in the window.

Instead they had Old English, White Shepherds, Rotty x GSD and Lab x can't remember what. I was shocked they were all big breeds and not the normal pet shop stuff. I didn't notice any signs up about not using puppy farms but I did wonder if they had suddenly changed where they were getting dogs from or if it swas just a coincidence that they had 4 whoops backyard litters in at once (at least I assume they are all whoops/BYB litters).

Was in a very wll known shopping centre in the south east suburbs bayside on Saturday, were a PP is located just off the car park ground floor level. Just had to go inside and make comments about puppy farms, lack of support for puppy once bought, and did you know that poodle cav just might drop coat,and you wont know until it is to late, and also that you will proabably pay $$$$$$$$$$$$$ more for a cross breed than you would a pure breed papered poodle or cavy and have no on going support. Shop assisant said it was only my opion and I replied, no the opinion of anyone who is experinced in the dog world and I was very experinced.Boy did that get my juices flowing, but it felt good. It made my day.