Anyone Feeding Phuds?

Hi

I thought I'd try something different with the spotty gang and just bought a pack of the Phuds porridge type dog food. I've used VANs in the past but since this one doesnt have any yeast (and only has ONE purine rich ingredient - lentils - which is way down the bottom of the list AND easy to pick out, so I can give some to Tango!!!) I thought I'd give it a go.

THe pack is a bit short on directions tho. It just says things like "appropriate amount" or something.

Can anyone who uses it tell me how much should you feed the dog - in proportion to meat. And how much water to Phuds should you use. Do you need to leave it a while like VANS, I mean is it better to or do you all just use it immediately? How long does it keep if you mix up a whole lot at once?

This is for 3 dalmatians with an average wieght of 20 ks

Any thoughts and also suggestions/ideas on what to mix it with or recipes you might have made with it would be appreciated. It sure looks great - good enough to eat actually!!! Smells like a good quality muesli.

I use it :laugh: I put in about 2 and a bit cups to about 5 cups of water. Let sit for 10 mins. Add 1 kilo of mince. That does 3 border collies for 2 nights.

If you call Browns they might be able to do one minus the lentils or whatever as they do custom make mixes.

Thanks Jules - that's be similar to three dallies worth :thumbsup: I'll give it a go.

That's excellent that they'll custom make! I would love to just give him the same as the other guys and we don't need the lentils for them either. I'll send an email to start with, cheers for that!

How are your lot doing on it btw?

I find it really good for putting weight on. All my dogs have always liked it, including my current fussy pup.

I usually give them more meat the first time I try them on it.

Poos are a bit different on it though. I find they get a bit soft but kind of like horse poos rather than sloppy dog poos.

I used to use Phuds and I found their poos were small and firm with it. I didn't use it to the instructions though but I was happy with the product, I just find it hard to get now. I used to cook my 3 kgs of chicken mince with veggies, rice etc and made it a bit sloppy. Once it was cooked I'd add one 2ltr ice cream container of Phuds, stir it through and then put the lid back on the pot but have the heat turned off. I'd leave it for 10 or 15 mins and then ladle into containers for the week. It became a firm meat loaf and my dogs loved it. That amount of Phuds added to the rest of the ingredients used to give me about around 4 2ltr containers of loaf.

I just ordered it from the website - postage was reasonable and it got here pretty fast. (Plus, just quietly the parcel was covered in 60c stamps that hadn't been ... er..... stamped so I'm going to use them again for posting stuff so I kinda made all the postage costs back ssshhhhhh......)

website

Oh and thanks for the serving idea Kirislin! I feed Tango a cooked rice/veggie thing so that might be a nice way to make it up with Phuds for him.

Edited by spottychick

I use it :rofl: I put in about 2 and a bit cups to about 5 cups of water. Let sit for 10 mins. Add 1 kilo of mince. That does 3 border collies for 2 nights.

If you call Browns they might be able to do one minus the lentils or whatever as they do custom make mixes.

Hi Jules

I just called them and the lady said they make 250k at a time and don't really do custom orders anymore. Altho it might be possible if someone wanted an additive put IN. Just too difficult to remove ingredients.

But she's gone off to see if she can come up with alternative ideas for Tango. :eek:

ETA - she just called back and said they had another chat about it and decided they COULD do it for me if I ordered in advance and a big enough amount (at least 10 kg). That's a lot but if the product is good with the other two dallys then it will be worth doing.

Yay! I'm impressed that they talked about it and decided they could make a special batch for me after all.

Edited by spottychick

Jolly good. They are pretty helpful as it is a small company and they seem to really want to help animals as against just making a dollar.

10kg isn't too bad. I just looked at my box which is 5kg. It says 5kg makes 50 meals. The stuff has a pretty good shelf life too.

Mine had it with sardines last night.

I feed my girl Vets All Natural....what is the difference between VAN & Phuds, except Phuds is cheaper. I might try some when my current supply of VAN runs out, is there any problems with swicthing over :rofl:

Hi sheena - VANS is really good stuff and I've used it for about 8 years. The difference for me is that Phuds doesn't have yeast in it which is one of the highest sources of purines which my stone-former boy has to minimise.

The other difference is that VANs relies on the principle of fermentation (hence the yeast is doubly important) where Phuds doesnt. With VANs you leave it 24 hours to ferment (and smell!!! LOL) but with Phuds you pour boiling water on it and youre good to go in about 10 minutes.

Their other ingredients are similar and I think they both add some great supplements and are based on very similar notions of pet nutrition.

I love the smell of Phuds - coz it has coconut in it - smells like something I could eat!

ETA ingredients copied from another forum post :thumbsup:

Phuds, All Dogs Essence For Life

Food suitable for all dogs on a daily basis - Wholesome and unprocessed.

Contains: Stone ground grains oats and barley, polenta, buck seed, psyllium husk, coconut, vegetables, lentils, linseed meal, kelp, calcium, rosehip herb, garlic, dandelion root herb.

Unique modern food designed to be mixed with water and meat (fresh, cooked or

canned).

Phuds offers a real alternative low allergy, packed with absorbable

natural nutrients and a great high fibre source.

Phuds: high fibre – supports detoxification of the body, liver and kidney function

reduces offensive body odour

contains herbs that offer natural vitamins and minerals

aids movement and flexibility

builds on assisting immunity to guard against fleas and pests

enhances rich lush coat and improves skin health

Basically a 25 kilo dog requires 1 cup mixed with around 11/2 cups of

boiling water and 2 cups of fresh meat.

The "vegetables" mentioned in the ingredients are tiny pieces of carrot and peas. So I have to be concerned about the peas as well as lentils as both are rich in purines. It depends what else I feed tho - so I'm considering just asking them to remove one of those ingredients :thumbsup:

Also - I can't remember off-hand but doesnt VANs contain wheat?

Cheers

Edited by spottychick

I feed my girl Vets All Natural....what is the difference between VAN & Phuds, except Phuds is cheaper. I might try some when my current supply of VAN runs out, is there any problems with swicthing over :(

Hi sheena - VANS is really good stuff and I've used it for about 8 years. The difference for me is that Phuds doesn't have yeast in it which is one of the highest sources of purines which my stone-former boy has to minimise.

The other difference is that VANs relies on the principle of fermentation (hence the yeast is doubly important) where Phuds doesnt. With VANs you leave it 24 hours to ferment (and smell!!! LOL) but with Phuds you pour boiling water on it and youre good to go in about 10 minutes.

Their other ingredients are similar and I think they both add some great supplements and are based on very similar notions of pet nutrition.

I love the smell of Phuds - coz it has coconut in it - smells like something I could eat!

ETA ingredients copied from another forum post ;)

Phuds, All Dogs Essence For Life

Food suitable for all dogs on a daily basis - Wholesome and unprocessed.

Contains: Stone ground grains oats and barley, polenta, buck seed, psyllium husk, coconut, vegetables, lentils, linseed meal, kelp, calcium, rosehip herb, garlic, dandelion root herb.

Unique modern food designed to be mixed with water and meat (fresh, cooked or

canned).

Phuds offers a real alternative low allergy, packed with absorbable

natural nutrients and a great high fibre source.

Phuds: high fibre – supports detoxification of the body, liver and kidney function

reduces offensive body odour

contains herbs that offer natural vitamins and minerals

aids movement and flexibility

builds on assisting immunity to guard against fleas and pests

enhances rich lush coat and improves skin health

Basically a 25 kilo dog requires 1 cup mixed with around 11/2 cups of

boiling water and 2 cups of fresh meat.

The "vegetables" mentioned in the ingredients are tiny pieces of carrot and peas. So I have to be concerned about the peas as well as lentils as both are rich in purines. It depends what else I feed tho - so I'm considering just asking them to remove one of those ingredients :thumbsup:

Also - I can't remember off-hand but doesnt VANs contain wheat?

Cheers

The ingredients in VANS is, in order, rolled oats, cracked barley, soybean meal,flax seed meal, cracked whole grain oats, dried vegetables, dried barley grass, dried parsley, garlic, kelp granules, lecithin granules, brewers yeast, calcium powder, & vit c.

Lately I have been adding the water then microwaving for a minute then letting stand for 24 hours....that seems to have firmed up her poos.....not sure if I am doing the wrong thing tho :(

LOL Yeah I don't think nuking the stuff is a great idea :thumbsup: The cooked grains etc would probably be more difficult to digest and wouldn't be doing their job properly. I imagine the Vit C would be destroyed and the yeast would cook so the mix wouldn't ferment properly like it should.

Switching them over might cause some digestion problems to begin with altho it's not a huge change - like say from kibble to raw - so it might not happen or be minimal.

I havent seen any problems so far but I've only been feeding them Phuds for a couple of days or so.

They have very firm poos but I think that's to do with all the bones they get.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of years ago I was given a sample of Phuds to try and I was quite impressed with the ingredients and the dogs seemed to love it.....so I ordered a large box. What I got was nothing like the sample I was given. At least 90% (if not more) of the ingredients was nothing but husks with VERY LITTLE of anything else. Since then I have never ordered it again nor would I recommend it.

Edited by Tapferhund

A couple of years ago I was given a sample of Phuds to try and I was quite impressed with the ingredients and the dogs seemed to love it.....so I ordered a large box. What I got was nothing like the sample I was given. At least 90% (if not more) of the ingredients was nothing but husks with VERY LITTLE of anything else. Since then I have never ordered it again nor would I recommend it.

I can understand your disappointment, it sounds like you were unlucky. I used it for years and found it to be fairly consistent. I noticed some variation but I suspect it could've been more a seasonal variation in the ingredients.

I am sure if you'd contacted them at the time they would've tried to resolve the problem for you.

I just called them and the lady said they make 250k at a time and don't really do custom orders anymore. Altho it might be possible if someone wanted an additive put IN. Just too difficult to remove ingredients.

But she's gone off to see if she can come up with alternative ideas for Tango. :(

ETA - she just called back and said they had another chat about it and decided they COULD do it for me if I ordered in advance and a big enough amount (at least 10 kg). That's a lot but if the product is good with the other two dallys then it will be worth doing.

Yay! I'm impressed that they talked about it and decided they could make a special batch for me after all.

I haven't heard of this product, I like the sound of it though. Spottychick could you PM me the contact details and the name of the lady you spoke to? I'd be interested in stocking the mix without the lentils, so maybe it could be worth their while to make a separate batch for both of us. Of course I'd have to trial it for a while first but if all goes well, it could be worth stocking it in the shop :champagne: