Herding Talk Thread

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, although some of you may know me from Erskine Park and elsewhere.

I thought I'd post some photos of Bluey and my 7 month old pup Tim, then follow up with a question or two (or three).

Here's Bluey...

6773825971_dc4f37367c_m.jpg

6773835963_cdb6f106de_m.jpg

6773844319_6d9ee24637_m.jpg

... and here's Tim.

6773787833_56aacf5b35_m.jpg

6773801257_071e8efe50_m.jpg

6773814259_ffbf0a3cea_m.jpg

I look forward to going back to Erskine Park when I can, but I was also wondering about herding clinics, especially in the Hunter. I have seen references to a few (e.g. one at Crookwell) with the comment that they are finished until the weather cools down. Can anyone tell me if any have been scheduled for 2012 yet? Whom do I contact? I also saw a reference to one at Gresford (I heard about that at the time, and hoped to get to it, but I was sick.) Was that run by the same group as the Crookwell clinic? Are any more clinics at Gresford likely? And another question... What is the best place to find out about forthcoming clinics?

Kerry

Hi Kerry - it is good to have you here.

The 2012 calender for EP is in the files section of the HerdingEP yahoo group.

I can't help with clinics in the hunter.

Are you going to do driving and intermediate this year?

ETA Bluey is a lovely dog to watch working.

Edited by Janba

Yes, Bluey's now driving... hopefully well enough for at least A course intermediate. I've had a few hiccups with his outrun, but I think (hope) I'm getting them sorted. I've now got a few ewe lambs to train on. They are sweet little things and stay together better than the goats, but they're very light and move before Bluey has completed his outrun, causing him to slice at the top of the run. I really need to work him on a variety of sheep... particularly heavier sheep. I need to work the pup on heavier sheep (and a larger mob) too... he's too intense for the lambs at this stage in his training.

I've seen the Erskine Park 2012 calendar; do you have any suggestions as to which training days would provide the best opportunity for intermediate level training?

Kerry

PS - a belated congratulations for Coles HIT!

Hi Kerry - it is good to have you here.

The 2012 calender for EP is in the files section of the HerdingEP yahoo group.

I can't help with clinics in the hunter.

Are you going to do driving and intermediate this year?

ETA Bluey is a lovely dog to watch working.

Just wanted to write about how much fun I had learning herding at the Trudy Viklund clinic in Nyora :thumbsup: . I especially loved the "lightbulb" moment my girl had (as well as the perfect recall past the sheep :rofl: hopefully that will translate towards obedience trials!) It was great to meet a few of you there, and I've now found a new hobby to take up more of my limited time. But I'm determined to get some herding titles on my girl now... looking at the photos I could see how much she enjoyed it too!

Hi, we are based in Taralga in the Southern Tablelands (30 minutes North of Goulburn). We run two very successful Yard Dog trials a year and are looking into increasing that to three yard trials a year and adding a utility trial and possibly a three sheep trial also.

We are also looking at hosting some clinics for training dogs to herd, such as 'herding instinct clinics' for beginners, some 'basic herding' training and some practical yard dog trialing clinics here. We have some top trialers like Peter Darmody and John 'Nugget' Corby committed to teaching some days.

If you are interested in this kind of thing I would love to hear from you at [email protected] and we will put you on our mailing list.

Regards and Happy Herding,

Amanda

I had such a great time at the Trudy clinic, the dogs worked so well on sheep & cows, Pebbles was the star of my team with cows :thumbsup:. Now I'm itchin to do more training, bugga my teacher for leaving SA :laugh:. Can't see me moving to Victoria sooo I'm looking for a caravan so I've got some thing to sleep in when we go over there, unless I can find some where that accepts dogs. Geez I'm sounding more & more like a herding tragic :shrug:, ah well don't drink, smoke or go out with bad men, gotta have some sort of bad habit :grimace:.

• 4 weeks later...

Drove off all excited (and nervous!) for the season opening herding trial - entered 2 x started duck runs with the intent of having a go at an intermediate course before taking the leap to actually entering intermediate.

Half an hour from the venue - car stops dead. RACV man says broken fuel plug, patches it up, tells me to get it towed. Instead we limp home :o , me holding my breath the whole way.

Darn it! And no more duck trials coming up! So much for my intermediate plans so far this year :(

Cash is rather unimpressed by the 3.5 hours in the car for nothing.

I just spent the morning training on ducks :thumbsup: Only their 3rd time and they did so well! Especially Weez :D Going to put them in Started ducks at the first 2012 trial next month :) We still have issues to iron out on the sheep, so not sure yet if I'll enter them in HSAs runs.

For the people in SA - we have Kate Dourley and Karen Edwards from Victoria coming over to do some clinics in the April school holidays. Please PM me your email address if you would like information and a registration form.

Nawww saw the email - sucks would love to go but can't guarantee my little herding dog will be ready for that sort of activity by then - such a shame we missed the first one to because she was limping :(.

Nawww saw the email - sucks would love to go but can't guarantee my little herding dog will be ready for that sort of activity by then - such a shame we missed the first one to because she was limping :(.

Poor little BCs :( .... I could post you a kelpie? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I just spent the morning training on ducks :thumbsup: Only their 3rd time and they did so well! Especially Weez :D Going to put them in Started ducks at the first 2012 trial next month :) We still have issues to iron out on the sheep, so not sure yet if I'll enter them in HSAs runs.

enter them in sheep also, you'll know what to improve on in training and they'll and you'll get experience at a trial level.. its well worth it.. and you might even sneak in the pass

Thanks, might just do that! His outruns, stops and walk-ups are probably good enough to trial with, it's just his flanks that are way too close. Not sure how much training we'll end up getting in the next few weeks either with the Aussie pups on the way :D But like you said, worth a try :shrug:

Do you know if trial entries are still open? I keep meaning to check Canine News but it's been pretty hectic lately :o

I haven't posted my entries off yet.. so I hope they are still open... :confused:

if you try, you'll know what your doing wrong.. if you get a pass out of your 2 attempts or both attempts you'll almost have a title.. worth it I think.. if you completely suck on the first run, we can hold the second to a later trial in the year.. we are not about taking money..

Isn't it funny the different ideas - if the flanks are not great I would be more inclined to work sheep than ducks. I find ducks need much more precision work and there is far less margin of error before causing them to go off line or split than there is with sheep. I remember someone (and it might have been Steph?) saying to me that working ducks is like having power steering - a tiny movement is all that is needed for good effect so I would want the dog responding well to flank commands and staying off their stock. I definitely find sheep far more forgiving.

I'm still sorting out Jazz's walk up and driving, I'm trying to decide if I enter our first trial f the year or not. Got some reasonable short drives along a fence line as well as across open space on the weekend but I am just not quite happy with it - still too inconsistant for my liking and I'm not sure how much training I can get in between now and the end of April, although we do have a 1 day clinic coming up.