Scams

murraydebbie

I have been caught up in a scam by advertising on Dogzonline. Has anyone else had a similar problem with someone wanting to buy your item in the classifieds, sending a foreign cheque (Dublin) more than the cost (ours was almost $1100 more), then asking for the refund to go to a Dubai account? When I refused they gave me a UK account to deposit the refund. They said they were overseas, and would get a shipping company to collect it.

Just curious.

The overpayment followed by asking for the refund is a classic scam. The original cheque will bounce, and you will be out of pocket for whatever the difference was. Tear up the cheque and forget that they ever contacted you!

A couple of years ago I was selling Wombaroo Milk replacer (had too much) - got several emails from a woman in USA who wanted to send it to her daughter in some foreign country. She was annoying and tried to reassure me she was a serious buyer but when I gave her the company details and told her to contact them directly because they might already supply it O/S she never contacted me again.

Just a scam - not worth it.

Also when I was selling my dog wash trailer I was contacted by someone O/S who was more than generous with their offer and were going to send someone here to pick "the item up" - never bothered to say it was - just kept referring to the trailer as "the item". Delete is the best option.

Pisses me off more when they refer to puppies as items...again - delete and forget it.

Well silly me, yes I banked the cheque and sent an email back saying that I would have the balance waiting for them when they collected the item, after the cheque was cleared...still thinking that it was a local person who bought the item. They said that the cheque for payment would come from a work associate, so just thought it was an overseas associate. Wasn't until they started harrassing me for the balance of the cheque before it was cleared that I started to get suspicious. Even more so, whey then wanted it paid into another account in a different country

And then started to play the heavy hand and said they knew where we lived and would get us, that we realised it was not just a simple sale.

These scammers are so cunning. Even several weeks later, we are still getting emails either demanding money or making threats..... funny thing is that they never mention the item, just the overpaid money. They even phoned one day, and we think arabic sounding, they speak very little english but understand the MONEY!!!

These scammers are so cunning. Even several weeks later, we are still getting emails either demanding money or making threats..... funny thing is that they never mention the item, just the overpaid money. They even phoned one day, and we think arabic sounding, they speak very little english but understand the MONEY!!!

I would be saying you know your STINKING cheque bounced buddy!! :hug:

As you are in QLD here is the link to report this scam to QLD police, you dont have to go to a station it can be done online, its suprising what sort of scams they get upto but if they send out a thousand e mails and get 5 fall for their scam then they are onto a winner. There one lady round here who was scammed on a freindship website, she had been in contact with this very nice man!!! from Canada for some time, then he suddenly contacted her and said he was in an accident and did not have medical insurance could she help, well youve guessed it she sent a cheque (Western Union transfer) smells of Nigeria. Then he asked for more the next thing she is taking out a loan on nher house to help him because he was a very nice man (had photos of him as well). She could not believe that it was a scam and the photo was just taken from a dating site, even when told that western union transfer stinks highly of the nigerian scam, her reply was he was such a nice man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can lead a horse to water but you can not make it drink.....

As you are in QLD here is the link to report this scam to QLD police, you dont have to go to a station it can be done online, its suprising what sort of scams they get upto but if they send out a thousand e mails and get 5 fall for their scam then they are onto a winner. There one lady round here who was scammed on a freindship website, she had been in contact with this very nice man!!! from Canada for some time, then he suddenly contacted her and said he was in an accident and did not have medical insurance could she help, well youve guessed it she sent a cheque (Western Union transfer) smells of Nigeria. Then he asked for more the next thing she is taking out a loan on nher house to help him because he was a very nice man (had photos of him as well). She could not believe that it was a scam and the photo was just taken from a dating site, even when told that western union transfer stinks highly of the nigerian scam, her reply was he was such a nice man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can lead a horse to water but you can not make it drink.....

SORRY GOT LOST THERE. Here is the link http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/crim...s/reporting.htm

Yes, I answered an ad (on my yahoo address) for the sale (cheap, then free) for two pups. I have been contacted by the owner :laugh: of the pups, as well as the transport company (based in the Cameroons! :) ) for four or five days, I told her Western Union was having computer problems...all sorts of implausible problems were happening...I have put as my contact details the address and phone number of the Townsville Police and my name as L Constable-Smith

she is getting frantic as my money hasn't gone through, I must've forgotten to put it in :laugh:

Obviously some people have more money than sense.....idiots are born every day! :laugh: