I Just Had My First...

Polgara's Shadow

...confirmed Shiba Inu sighting!

I've seen the Shiba out on his deck a few times when Vulcan and I have walked past. But today we were both out walking and I had a chance to ask the guy if it was a Shiba. He was mightilly impressed I recognised the breed! And I only recognised the Shiba Inu because I've had a chance to learn about them on here :crazy: .

We had a brief chat and he said they tried to train it (sorry didn't get the sex or name, but will ask next time) when it was young but gave up. He also says he never lets it off lead. I understand they are difficult to reliably train with strange people and dogs?

Anyhoo..beautiful looking pooch and I was stoked to be able to correctly identify it :shrug: .

Is there a dog equivalent to being 'twitcher'. A 'twitchog' perhaps? :crazy:

Edited by Polgara's Shadow

Anyhoo..beautiful looking pooch and I was stoked to be able to correctly identify it :hug: .
I had to laugh at this because I was exactly the same when a few weeks ago I saw and correctly identified a Bernese Mountain Dog and only because of the University of DOL. And, yes, I did start a post too :D

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...=202242&hl=

The Shiba Inu is an absolutely stunning dog but I have read that they can be very strong willed .

Methinks we need doggy version of twitching! I can totally see myself with a notebook ticking off all the 'rare' breeds I've 'spotted'.

YAY! for you two spotting 'rare' breeds too. It's a bit of a kick huh?

I was bragging to my OH ...but he totally didn't get it. unfortunatly there's no Shiba Inu in Dog Breeds 101 on here - I was hoping to read some of it out to him.

I see Shiba Inu's all the time in my area. :D I've seen a few being walked around my neighbourhood on a few occasions & Tyson has played with one at a park once. I've gotten shocked reactions from owners when recognising Japanese Spitz before, never knew they were that uncommon. :hug:

Methinks we need doggy version of twitching! I can totally see myself with a notebook ticking off all the 'rare' breeds I've 'spotted'.

Oh dear, that's all I need. Another list to tick! I've been denying accusations of being a twitcher for years, but no one is fooled at all. Yes, we stopped at a town on our recent holiday specifically to try to see Red Goshawks. Saw them, too! I have a frog field guide, a mammal field guide, a reptile field guide, and a tadpole field guide along with the bird field guides (I have 3 of them). Someone once got me semi-interested in fish, but I managed to pull out before I had to buy a fish field guide. :hug:

We have a Shiba that lives locally, but haven't had a chance to speak to the owner yet. We nearly bought one, but got a Vallhund instead. We were concerned we wouldn't be able to cope with the busyness. So we end up with Erik, who I expect needs even more mental stimulation and physical acitivity than the average Shiba!

I got excited when I was in the States recently and saw a Komondor. In the middle of LA, mind you.

...confirmed Shiba Inu sighting!

I've seen the Shiba out on his deck a few times when Vulcan and I have walked past. But today we were both out walking and I had a chance to ask the guy if it was a Shiba. He was mightilly impressed I recognised the breed! And I only recognised the Shiba Inu because I've had a chance to learn about them on here :) .

We had a brief chat and he said they tried to train it (sorry didn't get the sex or name, but will ask next time) when it was young but gave up. He also says he never lets it off lead. I understand they are difficult to reliably train with strange people and dogs?

Anyhoo..beautiful looking pooch and I was stoked to be able to correctly identify it :hug: .

Is there a dog equivalent to being 'twitcher'. A 'twitchog' perhaps? :)

There's one that visits my local beach. The guy was amazed that I knew what it was and something about them :rofl: He walks it for his daughter and never lets it off the lead either. Her name is Mia. I asked if it stood for "Missing In Action" :D He said no, but laughed and said how appropriate and he'd tell his daughter ;)

Oh dear, that's all I need. Another list to tick! I've been denying accusations of being a twitcher for years, but no one is fooled at all. Yes, we stopped at a town on our recent holiday specifically to try to see Red Goshawks. Saw them, too! I have a frog field guide, a mammal field guide, a reptile field guide, and a tadpole field guide along with the bird field guides (I have 3 of them). Someone once got me semi-interested in fish, but I managed to pull out before I had to buy a fish field guide. :laugh:

We have a Shiba that lives locally, but haven't had a chance to speak to the owner yet. We nearly bought one, but got a Vallhund instead. We were concerned we wouldn't be able to cope with the busyness. So we end up with Erik, who I expect needs even more mental stimulation and physical acitivity than the average Shiba!

I got excited when I was in the States recently and saw a Komondor. In the middle of LA, mind you.

Does this explain your DOL name? I was at the Quarry at Homebush recently and learned as we walked around reading all the posted materials that Corvus is Raven :):laugh:

I saw a lady walking a shiba in Elwood when I was over in Melbourne a few weeks ago. I kinda did a double take and squeaked "shiba!" She gave me an odd look and pulled the dog a little closer to her... :laugh:

This is the reaction I get mostly :) I had one guy totally freaked when I slowed the car down to perve on his GSD. Luckily I spotted the same dog being walked by his gf and managed to get her talking and told her to tell him sorry it wasn't him I was looking at :laugh: he apparently had been quite weirded out :rofl:

Does this explain your DOL name? I was at the Quarry at Homebush recently and learned as we walked around reading all the posted materials that Corvus is Raven :):laugh:

Yes, yes it does. :laugh: Ravens have been a favourite for many years.

Oh dear, that's all I need. Another list to tick! I've been denying accusations of being a twitcher for years, but no one is fooled at all. Yes, we stopped at a town on our recent holiday specifically to try to see Red Goshawks. Saw them, too! I have a frog field guide, a mammal field guide, a reptile field guide, and a tadpole field guide along with the bird field guides (I have 3 of them). Someone once got me semi-interested in fish, but I managed to pull out before I had to buy a fish field guide. ;)

:rofl::eek: This is me too. Unfortunately I'm also into fish! All fish.... it's quite tragic really. If I see something I'm not sure about I cant wait to get home and suss it out... ;) ;)

I've been a 'dog twitcher' since I was aa young child, a very long time... so there's not been a time when I have met a breed I did not know.

shibas are very stunning looking dogs. Beautiful! :D :laugh:

I'd love to see a Komondor!!

I had the pleasure of an Estrela Mountain dog years ago in France, at a Cathar castle!! He was amazing, off lead, obedient and stunning animal.

Edited by Monah