Yearly Heartworm Vaccination

suen

Caesar is due to have his annual vaccination this week. I also have to decide on heartworm treatment, which way to go?

I remember reading a thread about the yearly vaccination and that there was a lot against this. I cannot find the thread to refresh my memory so would like some input from other DOLers please. Am I right that the Proheart annual vaccination has been withdrawn from use in the US?

Advice would be appreciated.

Sue

Sue,

I've never used anything else, my last dog (adopted by my folks) was on it from a pup and never had any trouble and Boof n Lilly have had their injections as well with no issue.

I'm only new to DOL so haven't seen the thread you are talking about it, but have never heard anything bad previously.

No doubt someone will tell us what the negatives are!

Cheers Aleesha

The 6 month version is banned in the US. In Canada the label has been changed to say that it is only for dogs who for whatever reason, cannot use other types of heartworm preventative. It seems only in Australia it is actually PROMOTED.

I would guess most of the problems have occured (and there have been fatalities from it) because vets are NOT using it as the label/company tells them to. It is *not* to be given at the same time as a yearly vaccination, and this is clearly stated by the makers of it.

And yet vets promote it as a 'oh do it on the same day, save time!" thing, which is ridiculous.

BTW it is not a vaccination. It is a slow release drug so if your dog does have a reaction to it, remember it has 12 months worth of it in its body.

Personally I don't risk them and go daily or monthly.

Wouldn't touch yearly heart worm with a 40 foot pole.

Far to many problems reported over the years.

As to vaccinations why not do a titre test to see if the dog needs vaccinating.

No point in vaccinating a dog the does not need it.

Yea the 6months one was banned in the states and Canada - apparently there was a high incidence of dogs developing IMHA shortly after the injection.

My doggy is battling with IMHA at the moment (not from the injection) and it's really not fun. So if i had the choice i would probably stay away *just* in case :thumbsup:

The 6 month version is banned in the US. In Canada the label has been changed to say that it is only for dogs who for whatever reason, cannot use other types of heartworm preventative. It seems only in Australia it is actually PROMOTED.

I would guess most of the problems have occured (and there have been fatalities from it) because vets are NOT using it as the label/company tells them to. It is *not* to be given at the same time as a yearly vaccination, and this is clearly stated by the makers of it.

And yet vets promote it as a 'oh do it on the same day, save time!" thing, which is ridiculous.

BTW it is not a vaccination. It is a slow release drug so if your dog does have a reaction to it, remember it has 12 months worth of it in its body.

Personally I don't risk them and go daily or monthly.

If you read the AUSTRALIAN label the manufacturer actually does promote giving the Proheart at the same time as annual vaccination. Australian vets are only following manufacturers recommendations.

However I personally would not use the product. My Vet does not recommend it at all.

My Dobe was on yearly heratworm when I got her.

We continued with that. and every year she was given the hertworm along with the vaccinations.

No apparent traumatic side effects for her. Luckily.

But I was always a bit concerned/uncomfortable with hittting her with all that stuff at once and woudl never do it again.

For the last couple of years, she's had no vaccinations and monthly heartwom administered every SIX weeks.

There is quite a lot of information around to support the contention that every six weeks is sufficient. She is an older dog and I have yet to have a discussion with my vet on that one.

I did not know about titre testing until recently, so if I were to get a new dog, I'd be looking at minimising the chemical/vaccination load as much as possible. And it seems we have some options as to how that can be done.

Like Oakway, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. I have a section in my puppy info pack that talks about heart worm and I cannot stress enough to the people purchasing the pups NOT to give them the injection, regardless of what anyone else tells them or how convenient it may appear.

I would never give the yearly injection. Do I really want my dog to be injected with a years worth of chemicals (irregardless of reported reactions or not)? No thanks!

I give my two Interceptor Spectrum monthly chewables but I only give them every 6 weeks. :laugh:

Thank you for your replies. I have decided it best to stick to the monthly chewables for heartworm.

Regarding the annual vaccination I am going to request the titre test be done first.

Thanks again.

Hi Sue

This is my first log in and saw your question regarding the vaccination and proheart injection. I would seriouly think about this and really discuss with your vet as we just lost our girl due to these injections. As we have done every year we took our dog to the vet for her yearly injections and afterwards she collasped at the front door of the vets and an hour later passed away.

She was a very fit 13 year old kelpie/dingo cross and they are still looking into why it happened. We were told after the event that it could happen 1 in every 10,000 but was very unusal. At no stage were we ever informed of associated risks and/or other alternatives espeically due to her age and this is why I joined this forum to make sure people are made aware.

The AVA are looking at vaccinations and should they be given together. I rang the AVA and asked a heap of questions so maybe a phone call could help you make a decision.

Whats done is done but please everyone ask questions as it can happen and trust me it's not the best way to lose your best mate.

Regards

Sue Hull

Hi Sue

This is my first log in and saw your question regarding the vaccination and proheart injection. I would seriouly think about this and really discuss with your vet as we just lost our girl due to these injections. As we have done every year we took our dog to the vet for her yearly injections and afterwards she collasped at the front door of the vets and an hour later passed away.

She was a very fit 13 year old kelpie/dingo cross and they are still looking into why it happened. We were told after the event that it could happen 1 in every 10,000 but was very unusal. At no stage were we ever informed of associated risks and/or other alternatives espeically due to her age and this is why I joined this forum to make sure people are made aware.

The AVA are looking at vaccinations and should they be given together. I rang the AVA and asked a heap of questions so maybe a phone call could help you make a decision.

Whats done is done but please everyone ask questions as it can happen and trust me it's not the best way to lose your best mate.

Regards

Sue Hull

Tessee - Sue, I am so sorry to read about your loss, it so very sad. Thank you for sharing so others like me will be made aware of the danger.

I was considering this as the letter I had from my vet listed recommendations for heartworm and the yearly treatment was one of the alternatives. It sounds so simple and easy and that's why I was considering it. However I did vaguely remember seeing some adverse comments in this forum and have since done more research. From the replies here and other articles I found I have decided it is definitely not the way to go. When I visit the Vet I am going to take along some facts I have discovered and ask him why he promotes this product. Surely vets have been made aware that there is a problem!

By the way, sorry for the "oops" posts above.

Sue

Oh - I'm so sorry Sue for your loss. How awful. I'm afraid its quite a bit more common than we are led to believe, I have heard of several dogs having fatal reactions shortly after their annual shots. All of these have been older dogs so would imagine its just too much for the system to take in one hit. Most recently a friend of mine lost his 11 yo Rotti. She had her shots and then was quite ill in the days afterwards. Within 2 weeks she'd collapased.

You probably know the AVA are now promoting annual bosters for parainfluenza virus, bordetella bronchiseptica - both are for kennel cough (and if relevant to your region: Leptospira interrogans)

And three yearly shots for: parvovirus, distemper and adenovirus (hepatitis)

I'm following this system for my dogs as I need the immunisation certificate for things such as obedience and bording kennels.

Oh yeah, and I totally avoid yearly heartworm - I used spot on advocate every two months (which was recommend by a friend who's a vet as being more than enough) - he even drags it out to three months in winter when things are more dormant.