What Do You Do?

SwaY

I had a puppy buyers puppy die of a snake bite when he was approx 9/10 months old.

At vets for 3 days sadly he did not make it. :thumbsup:

They are a great family, did everything right in regards to diet, exercise, desexed etc.

Do you let them know your having another litter and they can have one should they wish.

I would like to give them one for free.

How do I go about it? I don't want to upset or offend them

Oh I am so sad for the family and the puppy.

I have been on the recieving end of this particular kindness. I actually had a few offers very early in my grieving that I politley refused.

Eventually after some weeks I was offered a pup from a litter that had not yet been whelped. I was far more ready to think about a pup when the offer was made and the fordging of that friendship during the last weeks of Bri's pregnancy is such that 10 years later that breeder and I are still great friends.

Talk as much as the puppy buyers want and make the offer when it feels right.

My last litter was such a litter as well. There was a puppy buyer that I recommended to another breeder and they had a pup they believed but it turned out not to be so. They came to play with my guys the day they were to have picked up their pup and during the conversation I promised them first choice of the males. I could not be happier with the home that boy has and the family. He is well loved and has brought a great deal of joy to them. Oh and the pup they chose was number 14, kinda explained why there were so many :thumbsup::o:)

Cheers

Linda

I'd wait until the pups are on the ground and then give them a call, invite them to have a look and offer them a puppy. I think it's a lovely thing for a breeder to do under those circumstances.

I'm sure they wouldn't be offended and they can say no if they aren't ready.

Edited by ReadySetGo

So sad to hear - one of our puppy owners lost their girl a couple of weeks ago - same circumstances but she was nearly 3 years old. We have offered them a baby free as well - they have 3 boys who adored their dog and are heartbroken - it breaks our hearts just as much as they are always our puppies, what else can you do but cry with them.

I spoke to the husband and made him fully aware that they had time to think and he didn't have to bring it up straight away - to wait until the timing was right. I will hold a puppy for them until they tell me no.

Feel for you.

I'd wait until the pups are on the ground and then give them a call, invite them to have a look and offer them a puppy. I think it's a lovely thing for a breeder to do under those circumstances.

I think that is the way to go.

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Hi SwaY,

We have had the same thing happen. We had another litter available shortly afterwards and negotiated a replacement pup and a significantly discounted price. It didn't go free as the owner wouldn't accept a freebie.

Regards,

Agreed - GOOD homes are hard hard to find. When you find one stick with them. What we do is not about money - it's happy puppies and happy families.

Edited by AmandaJ

This is really sad Sway, I feel for all involved including you of course.

Obviously you are thrilled with these people as owners. I totally understand you not wanting to upset or insult them, but the only thing that concerns me about waiting a while before you let them know you are wishing to offer them another pup (and I think this is truly commendable BTW) is that what is they decide to get one elsewhere? Of course this is their perogative and no skin of your nose, but they may do this if they feel guilty and do not want to approach you again for fear that you may be upset with them, which I know is far from the truth.

If they go elsewhere for a pup I know this doesn't really matter, but if you are so happy with them and would really love them have another pup (if they want to), then personally I would be inclined to give it a week or 2 and just gently mention it.

I doubt they would be offended or upset. It may drag up emotions, but they could surely only be overwhelmed by your generosity and then take time to think it over. That's my thoughts anyway.

If I was in their boots, I would be so taken with your gesture. I may not want the pup soon, but at least I would know what to do when I was ready.

Whatever you decide, I am sure it will all work out.

Best of luck with the situation and hugs to you.

Edited by dyzney

I usually tell them once they call and tell me somethings happened that when theyre ready for a new pup let me know and they can have one for free. I recently did this to some people who's dog they bought from me passed at 3yrs of age, because they are such an exceptional home, i never ask money from exceptional homes when they are looking for a second pup from me.

I replaced free when a pup I sold was found dead in his kennel. Owners were devastated and thought he choked on a child's toy or similar. Sad thing is I just got the replacement dog back at 2 years old, underweight, untrained and in poor condition as owner committed suicide.

This is really sad Sway, I feel for all involved including you of course.

Obviously you are thrilled with these people as owners. I totally understand you not wanting to upset or insult them, but the only thing that concerns me about waiting a while before you let them know you are wishing to offer them another pup (and I think this is truly commendable BTW) is that what is they decide to get one elsewhere? Of course this is their perogative and no skin of your nose, but they may do this if they feel guilty and do not want to approach you again for fear that you may be upset with them, which I know is far from the truth.

If they go elsewhere for a pup I know this doesn't really matter, but if you are so happy with them and would really love them have another pup (if they want to), then personally I would be inclined to give it a week or 2 and just gently mention it.

I doubt they would be offended or upset. It may drag up emotions, but they could surely only be overwhelmed by your generosity and then take time to think it over. That's my thoughts anyway.

If I was in their boots, I would be so taken with your gesture. I may not want the pup soon, but at least I would know what to do when I was ready.

Whatever you decide, I am sure it will all work out.

Best of luck with the situation and hugs to you.

That would be my thoughts too - just in case they are worried that you may feel that they let the dog down. I remember one day heading to a show - Marie suddenly slipped the lead and took off. All I could think whilst I was chasing her was that Neil had entrusted her to me and I was going to let him down. When I told him how I'd felt he told me off, of course, for feeling like that but sometimes people can carry an unjustified sense of guilt when their dog dies.

A lovely thing for a breeder to do.

I had one of my previous puppy owners lose their 4 year old girl. As the ANKC is not accepting aussie whites I am no longer breeding (have my White Swiss now :laugh: ) But my parents have so kindly offered them a puppy for free from their last ever litter which is out of the litter sister of the girl the owners lost. On the day they called me to say they lost their girl, after speaking to my parents, I hesitantly called them, and let them know of the offer, they were absolutely over-joyed & it really helped them with their grief. I did tell them to have a good think & talk before they said yes as I didn't want them making a rash & emotional decision. I understand all people are different, but they were very happy to be contacted even though it was the same day they lost their dog.

I had a similar event when a puppy broke into a garage and ate snail bait that the owners didn't know was there. They were great owners, and I think they made an honest effort to puppy-proof, but they messed up in one critical detail. I helped the family find a 2 yr old rescue dog.

I had a puppy buyers puppy die of a snake bite when he was approx 9/10 months old.

At vets for 3 days sadly he did not make it. :laugh:

They are a great family, did everything right in regards to diet, exercise, desexed etc.

Do you let them know your having another litter and they can have one should they wish.

I would like to give them one for free.

How do I go about it? I don't want to upset or offend them

Edited by sandgrubber

I think that is the way to go.

Thanks everyone :laugh:

I have had the same thing happen twice now, horrible for all. One puppy got Parvo while in a boarding kennel and did not make it. The other died at the vets after De sexing{ still think it was their fault] I gave both owners a replacement puppy. just seemed the right thing to do