Bitches Fighting

~Shepherd~

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have 6 dogs - 3 of each sex. The entire Kelpie (18 months) & Saluki (8 years) bitches do not tolerate each other at all. We've had to have the Saluki stitched twice, since the Kelpie turned 12 months. Not pleasant to watch and definately to the death.

Interestingly the Saluki bitch got on very well with this Kelpie's mother (also entire) who used to live with us and she tolerates my Tenterfield bitch (16 years & desexed) without so much as a lift of the lip. It's just this one other bitch she can't stand.

I can walk them together on lead. I can even let one (either) off lead for a run, but they can NOT ever be off lead together anyway. PERIOD.

My Saluki male (entire) and JRTX male (desexed grumble at each other, esp. when I have one of the girls in season, but that's never more serious that a huff and puff or a sideways snarl as they pass by.

Sonia

I dont think its breed related.

I had two Lhasa Apso bitches who were best friends. One had a litter and the day we had the pups microchipped and one squarked, well the mother flew at the other bitch with intent to kill. After that we had to keep them apart at all times. I could not walk past with one in my arms without the other latching on to the dangling bits. One day we came home from work to find the door that kept them apart was not shut properly, and after a bit of searching I found two exhausted girls still going at it. It was only that they were both in full coat that they were not worse hurt. Bathing them later, they were both covered in puncture wounds. In the end it was so bad that I rehomed one of them.

My current Keeshond bitches, I have 3. Holly 13 1/3 HATES Brie 5, and vice versa. Brie HATES Sarah 7. Sarah and Holly are absolutely fine together.

Used to have Bostons. Marvellous squabblers. The bitches would go a few rounds, the dog would be minding his own business and then one would want to kill him. They did best when apart, and if allowed, the fights would have been to the end.

My friend had a Rotty X bitch who killed one other dog (after seriously injuring her once before) and would have killed another new dog if given the opportunity. She was always kept separate from the other dog but one day when they had builders over people got confused and Cassie killed Sally.

I've always been very aware of the risks of running two entire bitches, given that I have two. They have always got on really well but I feed them separately for safety. Daphne, however, has been in Melbourne for a few months and it will be close to 6 months before she comes back. I worry how they will get along when she returns.

I,personally, don't think I would tolerate that kind of behaviour in my home as the stress would be very difficult for me. I do think though that would be a very difficult decision if Marie was the aggressor. :p

I know of one bitch who was that badly injured she had to be euthanased. They believe the only reason she was still alive was she had managed to wedge herself in a corner under a tree and only had to defend a small hole. The other two were cirlcing, growlng and trying to keep going, her front legs were shredded it is believed from them attempting to pull her from under her spot. In this case three dogs were involved a entire bitch and dog AmStaff against an entire female Stafford.

We had two bitches that were the best of friends and then suddenly it all changed and they would fight with neither one of them about to give up. One even grabbed the other through the chain mesh fence and wouldn't let go, took a hell of a lot to get them apart. After struggling with the situation for two years we decided it was easier to re-home one.

The boys are all fine together but we won't run them together when the bitches are in season just in case. I'd have dogs ahead of bitches anytime.

so question here- I'm a dog novice who has a female Lab (who is desexed and very submissive) but wanting to get a Rescue dog - perhaps a Husky - would it be preferable to get male or female and should the two dogs meet before the rescue comes home>

so question here- I'm a dog novice who has a female Lab (who is desexed and very submissive) but wanting to get a Rescue dog - perhaps a Husky - would it be preferable to get male or female and should the two dogs meet before the rescue comes home>

A male is preferable. And yes, the dogs should meet before the rescue comes home.

• 8 months later...