Bitches Fighting

~Shepherd~

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With so many saying they will fight to the death, has this actually happened to anyone?

Not to me personally but with two people that I know well and it ended in tragedy for both.

A close friend has a bitch that would kill one of her others if she was allowed to get close enough. She has done some serious damage to two of the other bitches and it was only through very quick actions, that she didn't kill them.

They don't call bitches, bitches for no reason. They aren't capable of human emotions but they have long memories, can hold a grudge and appear to save it up for when you least expect it. They can switch from appearing to tolerate each other one second, to killing each other the next.

From my own observations many dogs will put on some bravado, puff themselves up and carry own with lip curling, growling and the like. The bitches that I've seen go another, have given far more subtle warming signs and I know one bitch whose only indication she's about to go off , is pricking her ears, followed by laying them. Miss that signal and it's on.

Although the dogs did not live together, i have witnessed a bitch try to kill another dog- the other dog was mine. We were lucky that both myself and my husband were there- otherwise she would have succeeded. There was a male dog there as well (littermate to the bitch) and while he punctured our dog a few times- the bitch was certainly the one that wanted to kill our bitch.

Not to me personally, I do know of some Stafford people to whom it happened. They are no longer in the breed.

I have had a pair come pretty damned close. One of them is now across the bridge as a result of old age....the other is here but is on her last "warning". There is just one other dog here that she hates with the most incredible passion who thankfully, will be going to a new home soon and then hopefully, peace will reign once more.

If not....she doesn't get any more chances and she will be euthanased. It is too dangerous to have a dog-aggressive dog around when you have children. I can read the body language and take appropriate action, the children can't. It would be irresponsible to set them up in a position where they could be hurt inadvertently.

I havent thought about the aggression factors enough until now. I own 2 best mate bitches and often have the old bitch next door with my 2. I have a friend house sitting over Christmas with her bitch. Most of my friends have bitches but we only have only been around them a few hours at a time. Some of the posts really have put the fear of god in to me :laugh:

Edited by Chewbacca

Chewie- i have 3 bitches and 2 dogs and 'touch wood' no issues. Of course they can live harmoniously together too. Some may disagree (flame suit on) but i also think the bitch on bitch issue is more prevalent in certain breeds as well.

Chewie- i have 3 bitches and 2 dogs and 'touch wood' no issues. Of course they can live harmoniously together too. Some may disagree (flame suit on) but i also think the bitch on bitch issue is more prevalent in certain breeds as well.

They can certainly live together, I have 4 entire bitches and they don't so much as look sideways at one another. They play nicely and enjoy each others company. I think it makes a big difference that my eldest bitch has never been the aggressor or ruled with the iron first. She's as mad as cut snake but is great with the other dogs

Some of the posts really have put the fear of god in to me :bottom:

It's good to be aware of what can happen, but there are also plenty of people who have bitches which live together for years without an issue.

Those of us who have never had a problem might be just lucky, or maybe it's the combination of breeds and individual temperaments we have had. :laugh: I've had bitches that didn't much like strange dogs in their faces, but they have always tolerated each other extremely well.

Those many instances don't help the OP in the other thread though, unfortunately her girls are past that and she needs the hard, realistic advice of people who have been through it.

Edited by Diva

I have 3 entire biotches and one desexed bitch. The 2 larger dogs sometimes have a blue when one is coming into season. Thankfully its all noise and no ahrm ever done although I always serarate them for a few days afterwards. They are usually the best of mates. The smaller bitches are iggies, very low agression breed wise so no issues with them.

It happened to me on the 22nd September, I will never forget the date: I only take Chih's, Shitty's, Poms, foxies etc all under 5 kilos.

I rescued a "foxie" from Wagga Pound turned out she was a Jack cross about 4-5 kilos 2 years old, (her description said she didn't like to be hasselled by the other dogs, she was very dominant in my pack of 13 at the time and would just fly at any one of them for no reason, I tethered her everytime she went off and felt she would be fine as an only dog, I DO SEPARATE when I am not here, she was in my yard with 4 others, all a bit bigger than her, I came home and found my own Maltese boy dead on my deck, I didn't even know what dog it was at the time as I was hysterical and kept checking what dogs were around me and trying to figure out which one it was as he was all wet and grey from his shoulders up, it was only when I saw the collar that I knew it was my Robert. as he is the only one of mine who has a collar on.

There was no blood just one of his ears was a bit ripped and as I said he was wet and his coat was grey from all the saliva from her, there was not a mark on any of the others they were all standing around so bewildered, it was so sad.

My vet said that Robert would have been petrified initally and then when he realised what was happening to him, he would have gone into shock which in turn his body would have shut down and he would not have been aware of what was happeneing and he could well have had a heart attack.

She of course was taken straight to the vet and was PTS, I will never tolerate another dog displaying this behaviou in my home again, they will get 2 weeks with intense behaviour training and if they don't behave I will be euthanasing, I can't rehome a dog even if it will be an only dog as people will not listen to us and will probably go get a mate for their nice little rescue dog and it will probably do the same to the new dog, I just don't feel comfortable rehoming a dog like she was.

This was bitch on male.

Maree

CPR

Edited by keetamouse

My sister bred bull terriers years ago - kept a mother and daughter and they got into it one afternoon - my sister tried to separate them - ended up having her leg ripped open from knee to Achilles, both dogs lost bits of ears and had terrible scars....they were finally separated using a plank of wood and a hose but it took two of the male neighbours hearing her scream who were finally able to quell the melee. She never put them together again but they lived in adjoining pens for ther rest of their days.....there is no doubt in my mind they would have fought to the death.

I have had to move one of my girls to live with friends - after 2 years of peaceful cohabitation she decided she had to be the alpha bitch and ripped into the bitch that was in fact dominant......never happened before in over 30 years of running a pack.....was mortifying at the time but I had to just keep reminding myself they are, in fact, dogs .....and luckily it happened while I was there and could control the damage. She went off the property that day while I sorted out a suitable environment for her...now lives with friends and runs with one of their boys - completely happy....

Show person I know went on hols and left strict instructions his two males were never to be put together - housesitter disregarded this and he came home to find his Gr Ch dead in the backyard ......I believe he put the offending dog down.....

Edited by Fit for a King

We have two entire bitches that HATE each other.

They can walk together fine, they can travel in crates next to each other fine, run in the bqack yard fine.

Can not put them in a C crate together though. Once they step inside the house they turn on each other.

One has always been the dominate bitch and the other has been submissive. The dominate always turns on the other.

BB

With so many saying they will fight to the death, has this actually happened to anyone?

Not to me personally but with two people that I know well and it ended in tragedy for both.

A close friend has a bitch that would kill one of her others if she was allowed to get close enough. She has done some serious damage to two of the other bitches and it was only through very quick actions, that she didn't kill them.

They don't call bitches, bitches for no reason. They aren't capable of human emotions but they have long memories, can hold a grudge and appear to save it up for when you least expect it. They can switch from appearing to tolerate each other one second, to killing each other the next.

From my own observations many dogs will put on some bravado, puff themselves up and carry own with lip curling, growling and the like. The bitches that I've seen go another, have given far more subtle warming signs and I know one bitch whose only indication she's about to go off , is pricking her ears, followed by laying them. Miss that signal and it's on.

I've always said this, too! My foundation bitch, Sascha, HATED other bitches, apart from one of her daughters (we figured it was because Sally was just as evil). I never had any to-the-death fights between her & another bitch - learned very early to recognise the signs of aggression but nearly had one between her & her son.

Yup had an dominant Kelpie bitch who did the classic sit away and above the other girls no problems with her pack since the other girls were daughters or grand daughters.... it was like parting of the red seas when she walked between the girls and pups - everyone froze and looked away. The old bag would return to position very satisfied she had established her power.

However when a brought a outside bitch in for use as an outcross the two eyed off under the table and my old Kelpie tore the flesh of the other ones scalp. I missed the initial signals because they eye-balled and carried on like pork chops under the dining table. An expensive and terrifying experience.

My Lab girls also have a leader though Tua is not particularly dominant and generally only pushes and huffs at the others if she feels the need to be in charge. Never had any problems with outside bitches visiting either ... thank god! So far so good!

Edited by Tapua

Close and the breed was shelties. Tegan was a top bitch wanna be and put over 100 stitches in my sweet wee gentle Kayla who had never even rolled an eye at her. I would have pts that day but the vet wouldn't do it so I rehomed her to a 1 dog family. She wasn't DA as she got on well with most other dogs just not suited to living with other female dogs