Wspa

ILK

Hi All,

I asked in off topic, but I didn't get any answers. Please just give me your expertise on WSPA for my work colleague.

We are looking at a WSPA stand with a bunch of young guys trying to get people to donate $$.

My work colleague wants to make a donation, but doesn't know anything about WSPA. Please tell us why she should or shouldn't donate.

Thanks for your input.

I had a look at that link Lab Rat thanks for that. I've never heard much about WSPA and of course people who know me ask me first as I have such a passion for animals. I know that WSPA helps bears that are farmed for their bile, but I couldn't be sure if they operate like some of the not so desirable organisations. My colleague genuinely wants to help, but she will take my word as gospel. She wants to join and make ongoing donations if I give the go ahead.

No pressure much :confused:

I have donated to WSPA numerous times in the past and they often send me newsletters detailing what exactly the money goes to, etc. Of course I can't be 100% sure the money is all being used properly, but every little bit counts I guess. I am a little bit anal about who I donate to because I want to make sure every cent counts. They are more like a global form of RSPCA and they do a lot of good work with horses in bad situations, bear farming etc. I haven't heard bad things about them yet.

Humane Society of the United States (I think!!).

Whether they are good or not depends on what you read - I wont risk my $$. I feel for the bears, and the tigers, and the food dogs - but I want to be sure my $$ goes to them, and I have been frightened off HSUS

Humane Society of the United States (I think!!).

Whether they are good or not depends on what you read - I wont risk my $$. I feel for the bears, and the tigers, and the food dogs - but I want to be sure my $$ goes to them, and I have been frightened off HSUS

Thanks Jed and welcome back. :thumbsup: Your wealth of knowledge has been missed.

I never donate to people on stands in shopping malls for any charity unless it is clear that they are local volunteers raising money for local charitable purposes. Those stands are staffed by backpackers who get paid for everyone they sign up so very little of the money actually goes to the charity. If you want to make a donation, go straight to the charity involved and cut out expensive fund raising techniques.

Not picking on you Perry, I basically do the same thing. Giving 50% of the donations as cost of collection is a bit high for me.

However - if we all donate to local charities, who is going to help the bears, and the tigers in poor counties? I worry about that sometimes, but I don't know the answer.

I never donate to people on stands in shopping malls for any charity unless it is clear that they are local volunteers raising money for local charitable purposes. Those stands are staffed by backpackers who get paid for everyone they sign up so very little of the money actually goes to the charity. If you want to make a donation, go straight to the charity involved and cut out expensive fund raising techniques.

Actually your information is incorrect. I work for a company who looks after a number of charities Direct Sales campaigns.

No matter which method you decide to donate to a charity a certain percentage will always go towards paying people and costs and services - it will tell you that in the sign-up information.

We'd all love it if 100% of our money would go straight to the cause however when you're realistic to think that people have to be paid regardless of if they do direct sales campaigns or not, you have office staff, leases etc etc etc.

You can ask a Sales Rep how much of the donation goes towards the charity in the first year and then the years after so you feel educated in the process - I think education is better than presumtions because otherwise some really great causes aren't getting your donation.

well my colleague signed up for 12mnths @ $25 per mnth.I thought that was very thoughtful & generous. Thx for all of your assistance. With all the research we have done we heard more good and there was no definate bad from anyone.