Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

I got some BH today from that Brisbane pet store that someone posted a few pages ago. They have a sale on, 20KG for $84--cheaper than through the BH supplier herself! :laugh:

$1 cheaper....wow

The one I contacted through this forum quoted $90 for the food because it would be freighted to me.

handy if you live close by.... *shrugs* most people would spend that on fuel just getting there

Julana seems to do a Northside delivery every month or so... Saves the courier anyway

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Tiff-689

l am not sure what breed you have, nor age etc and l am not sure how long you have been feeding Black Hawk, but a couple of people who thought their dogs lost some weight when switching over in fact lost flab, then built a more muscle toned body,like people dogs are individuals and change overs vary, again depending on the breed, age and activity level, will depend on how they switch over

Regards

Sherel

Curious how long a 20kg bag lasts everyone?

I've got two dogs, both weigh about 20kg. I was feeding them 2 cups a day each but increased this recently to 3 cups as they were looking too thin. A 20kg bag is now only lasting me about 3-4 weeks!! :( Just thinking it might be easier for me to start buying 2 bags at a time!

I have an English pointer and a RIdgie cross. Both are 7 months old and have been on BH for about 2 months. They primarily get kibble only, with dinner I also give them some mashed veggies and mince, chicken neck or kangaroo mince. Neither dog really have any flab to loose but the pointer struggles to maintain weight. Her ribs are quite visible but my vet has told me not to worry too much as they fill out as they get older. 3 cups a day each just seems to diminish the bag so quickly! :(

I note that your two dogs are still really puppies at 7 months. Up to 6 months of age they should be getting twice the recommended adult rate for their weight, which if they were only 6 months & weighed 20 kilos, then they should be getting 3 cups a day, at least of adult kibble. They are both large breed dogs, so probably should stay on puppy rations for a little longer ie. 3 cups a day. When they become adults, then you would slowly reduce the amount you feed them. This is just how I read the instructions...I stand to be corrected if I am wrong. But I would imagine, it wouldn't matter what brand of food you gave them, with two large breed growing puppies you will go through the food. That's just logic IMO :)

makes sense :) thanks for the advice

I got some BH today from that Brisbane pet store that someone posted a few pages ago. They have a sale on, 20KG for $84--cheaper than through the BH supplier herself! :laugh:

$1 cheaper....wow

The one I contacted through this forum quoted $90 for the food because it would be freighted to me.

handy if you live close by.... *shrugs* most people would spend that on fuel just getting there

Julana seems to do a Northside delivery every month or so... Saves the courier anyway

I live Southside so it's fine for me :) When the sale ends though I'll have to go through Julana because it will be cheaper through her (including freight).

Have to say, Hugo hoovered the sample pack but he's sort of ... bored with it now, he's not eating with gusto now that we've switched over properly.

Edited by Dju

$1 cheaper....wow

I live Southside so it's fine for me :) When the sale ends though I'll have to go through Julana because it will be cheaper through her (including freight).

Have to say, Hugo hoovered the sample pack but he's sort of ... bored with it now, he's not eating with gusto now that we've switched over properly.

He doesn't have to "eat with gusto", he just has to eat and if he's taking ages it could be that you've given him too much in one go. I think humans get more bored with the dog food than the dogs do.

Mine get BH almost every day for dinner but they get a raw morning meal (usually a chicken drumstick each) and occasionally they get a raw evening meal instead of kibble. Only one of mine is a fast eater, one is positively slow but when I ran out of BH and gave him something else, he was even slower and ended up leaving most of it. Whe I got more BH, he was back to his slow and steady pace.

I also use BH pieces as treats and they are just as happy with that as they are anything more "exciting".

$1 cheaper....wow

He doesn't have to "eat with gusto", he just has to eat and if he's taking ages it could be that you've given him too much in one go. I think humans get more bored with the dog food than the dogs do.

Mine get BH almost every day for dinner but they get a raw morning meal (usually a chicken drumstick each) and occasionally they get a raw evening meal instead of kibble. Only one of mine is a fast eater, one is positively slow but when I ran out of BH and gave him something else, he was even slower and ended up leaving most of it. Whe I got more BH, he was back to his slow and steady pace.

I also use BH pieces as treats and they are just as happy with that as they are anything more "exciting".

Oh, no, I meant like he's picking up one piece, a moving to the other side of the room to eat it and then not returning for 5 minutes to pick up another piece.

$1 cheaper....wow

Oh, no, I meant like he's picking up one piece, a moving to the other side of the room to eat it and then not returning for 5 minutes to pick up another piece.

This may sound like a very silly question....but are you sure you got the "right" Black Hawk, as someone mentioned a long way back in this thread about another product of the same name, & I noticed that Naturalistic (if that's who you got it from) spell it a different way & that they are not mentioned on Sherel's contact list. Just wondering...can you post a picture of the bag & label. It may not be the right thing. :(

It's just a plain white bag with like a small panel with a picture and ingredients on the front. I'm at uni right now so I can't take a photo exactly. It's the same size (kibble-wise, I mean) as the sample pack?

It's just a plain white bag with like a small panel with a picture and ingredients on the front. I'm at uni right now so I can't take a photo exactly. It's the same size (kibble-wise, I mean) as the sample pack?

Sounds like the right stuff..just strange that the shop is not listed as a supplier. It is strange how your dog liked the sample, but is picking at the bigger bag. You could always compare the ingredients list with that on your sample if you still have the packet. I know my pup used to hoover it down, & now he eats it as if he is savouring every mouthful. I also use it for treats.

Sounds like the right stuff..just strange that the shop is not listed as a supplier. It is strange how your dog liked the sample, but is picking at the bigger bag. You could always compare the ingredients list with that on your sample if you still have the packet. I know my pup used to hoover it down, & now he eats it as if he is savouring every mouthful. I also use it for treats.

The ingredients are the same, I think it has to do with how available we make food for him now. I've been trying to do the thing where you only leave the food bowl for 15 minutes before taking it away but before i even realise it, my mother's taken it off the shelf and put it back on the floor. Ah, the joys of raising a dog when there are two conflicting ideologies in the household.

Hi Dju

is he bored with it or more contented/nutritionally satisfied with what he is eating ?

$1 cheaper....wow

• 2 weeks later...

Hugo has been on BH for a while now, including the sample bag that we had. He is eating fine nowadays but I also have to mention that his yeast infection (or at least what we think was a yeast infection) between his legs has cleared up and disappeared! He's been having this problem for pretty much the entirety of this year, we went to the vet and they prescribed something to help clear it up (might have been antibiotics or something), but that didn't work at all, and since it hadn't been causing him any problems (he wasn't licking the spot or itching at it and he didn't seem to be in discomfort), we decided to leave it alone. But I actually took a good look today (yes, at my dog's crotch) while I was giving him his bellyrubs and there's... no more red staining! Could this possibly be from the food change? Maybe something in the food is really agreeing with him?

Hugo has been on BH for a while now, including the sample bag that we had. He is eating fine nowadays but I also have to mention that his yeast infection (or at least what we think was a yeast infection) between his legs has cleared up and disappeared! He's been having this problem for pretty much the entirety of this year, we went to the vet and they prescribed something to help clear it up (might have been antibiotics or something), but that didn't work at all, and since it hadn't been causing him any problems (he wasn't licking the spot or itching at it and he didn't seem to be in discomfort), we decided to leave it alone. But I actually took a good look today (yes, at my dog's crotch) while I was giving him his bellyrubs and there's... no more red staining! Could this possibly be from the food change? Maybe something in the food is really agreeing with him?

Sounds like it ;)

Coffs Harbour trial is on 17th & 18th Sept, if anybody wants me to bring in Black Hawk Adult Dog/Puppy/Feline either in 1kg, 2kg, 3kg, 5kg, 10kg or 20kg bags please "message" me. If you want the smaller bags, please give me a few days to bag them down for you. You can find the details on my website. I will have free samples to give out too, so feel free to come & ask for one. The club is also giving away 30 smaller bags as first prizes :thumbsup: & there will be some bags on the raffle table. So good luck & see you on the day ;)

PS. the ADAA Grand Prix is on at the end of this month, & we probably don't have room for any more 20 kilo bags, but could fit in some smaller quantities :)

Wow this food sounds really great...I'm very interested in it. :)

I've been thinking of putting my dogs on to a more super premium dry food (I currently feed Advance )& I've thought of either trying them with Canidae or Nutro, but after reading this thread & all the great reviews, I would be really interested in trying them with BH.

What would be the easiest way of me getting hold of a 3kg bag or a sample of it ? I live in Pentland Hills Vic (about 10 minutes past Bacchus Marsh )

I've been thinking of putting my dogs on to a more super premium dry food (I currently feed Advance )& I've thought of either trying them with Canidae or Nutro, but after reading this thread & all the great reviews, I would be really interested in trying them with BH.

What would be the easiest way of me getting hold of a 3kg bag or a sample of it ? I live in Pentland Hills Vic (about 10 minutes past Bacchus Marsh )

Go to the first thread & click on the link for Australia Wide contacts...there are a few places in VIC.

Go to the first thread & click on the link for Australia Wide contacts...there are a few places in VIC.

Thanks Sheena, I will send Sherel an email & see if she can post me a sample of it...If my dogs like it, I have a choice of getting it from Gisborne Boarding kennel or the Sunshine stock feed store...which are the closet distributors too me. :)

We started handing out free puppy packs to local breeders to hand out to their puppy buyers, & thought it would be a good idea to extend this offer to all ANKC registered Breeders who currently buy their kibble from us. So if you are interested there are more details on http://www.grevilleacottagebordercollies.com/free-puppy-packs.asp :)

At this rate, we are heading for bankruptcy :rofl: It is not a general Black Hawk offer. ;)