Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

No idea if Berners are hard to keep weight on but Pointers are bad for it!

Nope! :laugh: They are generally pigs! :laugh:

I know Pointers are a large breed but they are a lot finer than a Berner, so very different feeding requirements :) Would still love to hear from anyone who's raised a giant if anyone is around :) (But thanks heaps anyway english.ivy! :thumbsup: )

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really??? How much are you feeding them? I find a 20kg bag is lucky to last me 3 weeks at present. :grimace:

My guys have been on BH for about 2.5 months now. I really like the product that is for sure (and so do the pooches :laugh:). I do have a couple of questions though...

I've seen alot of posts indicating that the food intake has reduced on switching to BH. My guys seem to be going through more instead of less. Not that it matters really, but how inconsiderate of my guys not to fit with the 'norm'.

I go through 20kg a fortnight and I'm switching my boys back to Royal Canin. My DDB is starting to look like a moth eaten Ethiopian. My girls are doing really well on it so I'll stick to BH for the Mals and RC for the DDB/Rott.

Well I got my sample in the mail yesterday, really pleased with the amount I got as a sample, it was heaps!

Snowy loves it! I mixed it with his regular food and he went nuts for it. I will definitely be ordering a big bag.

I had a couple of questions, he is currently on Nutro where his reccommended daily intake is 450g, whereas the BH is only 350g, should I be adding some veges or something to help my dog feel fuller? I know the 350g of BH will have all he needs nutritionally but I am worried about him feeling hungry...

Guest english.ivy

Well it didnt work for my dogs at all, bugger! Back to Artemis

Why not?

I had a couple of questions, he is currently on Nutro where his reccommended daily intake is 450g, whereas the BH is only 350g, should I be adding some veges or something to help my dog feel fuller? I know the 350g of BH will have all he needs nutritionally but I am worried about him feeling hungry...

Just wait and see until he's on 100% BH. The guide on the bag is just that, a guide.

Well I got my sample in the mail yesterday, really pleased with the amount I got as a sample, it was heaps!

Snowy loves it! I mixed it with his regular food and he went nuts for it. I will definitely be ordering a big bag.

My BC girl gets 1/2 a turkey neck in the mornings & at night she gets just 1 cup of Black Hawk. She would eat buckets of it if I let her, as she loves it so much, not because she is still hungry. A bit like me & chocolates...I eat them cause I like them, not because I am hungry :laugh: So with Bindi, I add some cooked pumpkin or sweet potato which makes her dinner last longer for her. She also gets a bit more BH during the day in the form of treats. If I give her any more BH than this she puts on weight.

Maybe the weather? I don't know but my skin gets dry and itchy in the cold, maybe dogs are the same? Have you tried flax seed oil? Melrose does an omega blend especially for dogs. It's meant to be really good for their skin etc. I use that and BH and my labs skin and coat has improved ten fold!

I have presumed it is environmental given they've been on BH since late May... but am considering switching back to Bonnie to see if it changes anything. Thanks for the information re the omega blend for dogs. Where abouts can I find it?

On the topic of cats eating do food, I have heard on a number of occasions it can be very bad for them. I make it a habit of the cats not having any access to the dog food at all just to be on the safe side.

Is that only if they consume a big amount on a daily basis? My kitty eats a piece or two once a week. But since switching her to EP she's stopped trying to steal dog food.

I'm thinking of putting my 16 week old Berner puppy on this food as well. Wondering if anyone has any experience with growing large/giant breeds on Black Hawk? Not sure if I should risk it.

Well I raised my Pointer pup on BH from about 6ish months old on BH. The only problem I have is the fat content, it doesn't seem to be high enough to keep enough fat on him, esp over winter. So I'm also feeding Canidae [as this has 20% fat] with the BH and it's working. I will only do this over winter.

No idea if Berners are hard to keep weight on but Pointers are bad for it!

Interesting. Thanks! Keeping the weight on China is a challenge too. She drops it quick as a flash!

Really??? How much are you feeding them? I find a 20kg bag is lucky to last me 3 weeks at present. :grimace:

My guys have been on BH for about 2.5 months now. I really like the product that is for sure (and so do the pooches :laugh:). I do have a couple of questions though...

I've seen alot of posts indicating that the food intake has reduced on switching to BH. My guys seem to be going through more instead of less. Not that it matters really, but how inconsiderate of my guys not to fit with the 'norm'.

I go through 20kg a fortnight and I'm switching my boys back to Royal Canin. My DDB is starting to look like a moth eaten Ethiopian. My girls are doing really well on it so I'll stick to BH for the Mals and RC for the DDB/Rott.

Thanks Nekhbet! Could you please expand on your moth eaten Ethiopian comment? :o

Bron's doing a ok on BH (which is no surprise) and China 'was' going fine til the itchies. Though I am feeding them more than expected and I'm going through a 20kg bag quicker than I expected... (which I have blamed on the cold weather)

I'm actually really going to be very bummed if I can't continue feeding the product as I really like it! :o ... bloody dogs! :laugh:

Well it didnt work for my dogs at all, bugger! Back to Artemis

Why not?

Just wait and see until he's on 100% BH. The guide on the bag is just that, a guide.

One of my dogs dropped an alarming amount of weight and my other dog who could eat anything and be perfectly fine had a reaction to something in it almost immediately.

I think it is a fantastic food, with great ingredients and Sheryl does a wonderful job, it just isnt for my dogs.

Would someone be able to give me an idea on the size of the kibble?

I currently feed RC giant breed adult to my two. They love it, the kibble is huge so they actaully have to chew instead of inhaling it and they look great on it. Only problem is the price. $130 for a 15 kg bag that lasts us 3 weeks. So was interested in "maybe" changing to BH but was wandering if it was a tiny size. When my two were on Iams or Hills they inhaled the food and had a few choking incidents so had to put tins of tuna in their bowls to act as deterents for them to work around. I wish RC was cheaper :(

I currently feed RC giant breed adult to my two. They love it, the kibble is huge so they actaully have to chew instead of inhaling it and they look great on it. Only problem is the price. $130 for a 15 kg bag that lasts us 3 weeks. So was interested in "maybe" changing to BH but was wandering if it was a tiny size. When my two were on Iams or Hills they inhaled the food and had a few choking incidents so had to put tins of tuna in their bowls to act as deterents for them to work around. I wish RC was cheaper :(

BH is about the size of a large pea. You could always put it in one of those bowls which slow the dogs down. It is certainly worth a try & for the price, it is way, way cheaper than what you are feeding now.

Thanks Nekhbet! Could you please expand on your moth eaten Ethiopian comment?

DSC_0155.jpg

He's just too thin and you can see the patches of hair missing, it's scabby there too. He wouldnt get off the couch to stand for a photo :laugh: but there is a lot of hair coming out and you can pull it out along his back by the chunk.

My Malinois are doing really well though, its one of the few things that fed by itself will make my older Mal bitch hold condition. Dogue just cant take it I think it's the lamb in it. Had him on Royal Canin for a few days and he's getting better already and he get less of it. Just not enough protein and fat I think.

Edited by Nekhbet

:laugh: thanks Nekhbet! He is definitely moth eaten isn't he.

Even if I can't continue feeding BH to China I have decided that I'll keep feeding it to Bron. He loves it and is doing well on it!

China... is a matter of wait and see at the moment. :crossfingers:

Well, a 20kg bag lasts my two large dogs six weeks. That's pretty good :)

Probably longer when Badger has grown up and isn't eating so much food.

Ivy a total of about 1 and 3/4 cups a day and Badger a total of about 3 and a half cups a day. They also get raw meat etc.

No idea about the itchies as my two are fine.

I bought my first 20kg bag about 8 weeks ago and I still have about a quarter bag left. I feed 2 adult Labradors on average 2 cups each a day, sometimes a little less.

Ohhh dopey me, I just remembered we won 7kg of it so I had 27kg to go through laugh.gif But I'd say it would definitely last us at least 6 weeks.

Edited by RubyStar

My dogs like to inhale biscuits too so a couple of times a week I will mix in a tin of sardines or an egg and swish it around so the biccies are covered, that slows them down. I also soak the biscuits the times I don't give them anything extra. They get bones so still get something to crunch on. Soaking tends to be more of a "puppy thing", but I would prefer it to choking to death!

Guest english.ivy

How long do you soak for RS?

I add vege mash to stop them inhaling, helps big time.

Shelley has got a bad habit of eatting too fast and sometimes coughs cause of it, So I have taught her the command slow when she is eatting. Shelley use to inhale her food when she was younger so what I did was put a tennis ball in the center of her food dish, put the food around the ball, Then when she went to the bowl to eat I would say Slow she soon caught on. If Shelley started eatting too fast I would pick the bowl up, put her back in a sit/wait put bowl back down, Then when she went to eat again I would say slow. She soon caught on that if she ate fast her food got taken away but if she ate slower she got to keep her food.