Where Do You Bath Your Dog?

lanabanana

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm lucky none of mine need baths too often, because I couldn't be bothered! :rofl:

Carl is always clipped short but he swims almost every day in the ocean or creek, fortunately he smells like nothing most of the time. He gets a bit whiffy after he has a bone but generally he is clean. I bath him maybe once every 2 months? Unless we go out on a rainy day and he gets covered in mud; then he gets a quick rinse (water only). He is bathed either in the laundry sink or he showers with me. He happily stands under the spray while I do my thing. :o

Jag is about the same but he's a grub. Rolls in everything. Bichon coats get dirty easily enough they warrant a bath at least once a week...too bad he has no hair! :rofl: He gets his bath in the laundry sink.

Mischa and Cleo only need baths once every 3 months or so. They are practically odourless. I wash them in the kitchen sink, sometimes both at once!

My girls are bathed every week in the laundry tub with one of those hose attachment thingies. I then dry them off on the top of the washing machine which is right next to the laundry tub. They're not keen on a bath, as soon as I get the towels out they bolt outside and down the back yard. Oh, how I'd love a hydrobath. :o

In the summer time my boy gets a bath every fortnight in the backyard with the hose by me. The heat and rain seem to make him more smelly.

In the cooler months he gets bathed by my "dog lady" who comes out about once every 4-6 weeks or when I call her as she bathes him in a trailer with warm water. He much prefers her warm baths to my cold hosey ones. He hates the hose, I have always wondered if that is because he is a pound dog and I saw them hosing out the stalls with the dogs in them.

i used to do Kody in the bath but he hated it and so would try to climb out all the time. We would end up with hair and water everywhere!

I was stoked when I found the DIY hydrobath at the local car wash, so much easier!

I am lucky, he doesn't get smelly, so he only gets a wash when he has been up to no good and played neck deep in mud out at Mum and Dads. :o

He hates the hose, I have always wondered if that is because he is a pound dog and I saw them hosing out the stalls with the dogs in them.

Possibly hates the hose because of being hosed. The running water from a hose can be very cold.

My previous adopted as an adult (avatar) girl (bhcs) used to bolt whenever I picked up the hose too. Until she realised that I would never use it to wet her with. The water was far too cold for her and back then I did not have the hot/cold taps outdoors.

Edited by Erny

In a hydrobath in the barn which is connected to a (second hand) hot water system that is larger than the one in the house. We had a plumber install it with taps inside. Then it's up to the house for a blow dry.

As for how often, for shows, after seasons and for the dog who is neutered and not shown, if he starts to smell a bit. The only dog we are bathing once a week for maintenance is the Afghan puppy going through puppy coat change.

He hates the hose, I have always wondered if that is because he is a pound dog and I saw them hosing out the stalls with the dogs in them.

hmm that's an interesting thought. Pete hates the hose too and he's a poundie

Possibly hates the hose because of being hosed. The running water from a hose can be very cold.

Hose water that I use on Pete isn't cold, I only do it in summer and our pipes get so hot that on hot days in Dec-Feb I shower in pure 'cold' water and it's a nice luke warm temperature! He still hates it.

Edited by Pete.the.dog

In the summer time my boy gets a bath every fortnight in the backyard with the hose by me. The heat and rain seem to make him more smelly.

In the cooler months he gets bathed by my "dog lady" who comes out about once every 4-6 weeks or when I call her as she bathes him in a trailer with warm water. He much prefers her warm baths to my cold hosey ones. He hates the hose, I have always wondered if that is because he is a pound dog and I saw them hosing out the stalls with the dogs in them.

They DO know the difference between warm and cold water.

Kaisie was petrifed of the hose when I got her (and the broom, and the vacuum and......)

Now, when it's hot, she will willingly stand and let me turn the hose on her full bore. Turns her head side to side and revels in it!

I do what you do with horses - start at the feet and slowly work up so it's not a shock for them.

She definitely hates the cold water. When I set up the warm water, she was clearly much happier to be washed in winter.

The packet of treats helps lot. I used to get my son to hold her on the check chain and feed her treats to stop her snapping at me as I washed. It's a totally different picture now.

I put a small towel in the bottom of the shower, and put gus on the towel - stops him sliding. Then wet him down with the shower spray. Makes him a bit nervous, but he loves the warm water. Has very, very short hair, so it's not hard. Quick shampoo with a mild dog shampoo, then warm rinse down. Then out of the shower to be dried off with a towel, and that towel and the one from the shower tray go into the washing machine.

Only ever wash him if he needs washing after managing to roll in poo or somesuch delightful thing - his coat is so short it's really low maintenance.

Edit to add, I have a shower with a detachable hose head, which makes it a lot easier.

Edited by SpotTheDog

Our two outside with the hose off the tank.... it's warm most of the year in the middle of the day so we should be alright in winter but summer they love it.... depends how stinky they get but every 3-4 weeks and every second month the dog lady comes so they get their nails cut and everything.

Oh dear...mine get bathed...never :cheer: They just don't seem to need it and are never smelly so maybe I got lucky with their coats. They do get wet when it rains and then they are vigorously(sp) towel dried, which they love but thats about it! If they get abit mucky I just wash off that spot.

Outside on the decking in the sunshine with a warm tub/bucket of water. I am way too lazy to wash them weekly, so they probably get done every couple of months or even longer when the weather is too cool.

They also go swimming nearly every day, so if I wash them they don't smell good for long! Tilly also hates getting washed and she gets very sooky and is a pain in the butt at bath times. Jessie is easy to wash though, while I wouldn't say that she loves it, she is fine when I wash her.

This is Jessie:

DSC05318-1.jpg