C5 To C3 Vaccination

TYLER23

Our vet has adopted the new 3 year vaccination program, but i'm told that since the last vaccine our dog received (1 year ago) was a C5, that he is now due for a C3, then won't require another for 3 years. He is 15 months old, so the last C5 was part of his puppy shots. Does this sound correct?

He also wants to administer a yearly kennel cough vaccine, although we never board our dog... is it really required?

Yes, that sounds right. After puppy vaccinations, dogs should get another booster a year later, before going onto the 3 yearly program. It's only 3 yearly after the one year booster.

I wouldn't get kennel cough for my dog unless I was boarding her, although do discuss it with your vet and ask why they're recommending it - perhaps there's a lot in your area or something.

But if you do want to get kennel cough done, then yes, it only lasts for one year. It doesn't last for three years like the C3 does.

If you dog socializes a lot with other dogs then I would say get the Kc done. 2 of mine piked it up from a friends dog but the vet said it was only a mild case due to them being vaccinated against it. I also understand that there are a few different strains of KC and the dog can't be vaccinated against all of them.

he plays with other dogs at a local park approx twice a week... is this frequent enough to warrant a KC vaccination?

I'd say do it. It's only $20 difference and like others said - They don't have to be in a kennel to contract it. There is still a risk with everything but it doesn't hurt reducing the chances.

Edited by Sunnyflower

My vet recommended KC since we were attending dog shows and coming into contact with alot of dpgs. He also recommended it if we were walking the dogs regulary. It doesnt stop them from getting it but it does reduce the symptoms.

I say don't bother with the KC. It only covers two strains out of 40 odd strains ...

I had one vaccinated dog get it and the unvaccinated dog NOT get it - they both drank out of the same water bowl, shared bones and slept on the same bed. Go figure.

My puppy has had two lots of vaccinations, he will have a booster at 12 months old and then three yearly vaccinations afterwards until 8 years old, then nothing.

I will give the KC vax if I need to kennel the dogs but otherwise it's no different to a common cold.

It's great your vet has gone to the 3 yearly schedule! :(

It's a waste of time getting a KC vacc, he's a fit, young and healthy dog, and the chances are that if he does come down with it, it's going to be a mild case anyway, that you can treat with Manuka Honey and good old cough medicine.

I used to vaccinate against it, but given that the vaccinated dogs were the sickest and some of my unvaccinated didn't contract it, I no longer see the point.

I say don't bother with the KC. It only covers two strains out of 40 odd strains ...

I keep reading these kinds of statements but have never seen evidence of there being a number of strains and the vaccine only covering a certain number. Can you provide a source for this?

ok, so i understand he needs a C3 now and then not required for 3 years, but i think i'm more confused on whether to go for the KC or not. At such a small cost, approx $20, it seems silly not to do it... however if there is any adverse health reasons not to do it, then i won't. Even if there is no benefit in administering it, is there any harm in doing it?

I keep reading these kinds of statements but have never seen evidence of there being a number of strains and the vaccine only covering a certain number. Can you provide a source for this?

I'm repeating what numerous different vets have told me about the KC vaccine over the last 8 years or so. I have no reason not to believe them, they have all been good vets and I have entrusted my dogs and foster dogs lives with them. I think from memory there are 38 strains and the vaccination only covers two.

I guess it's a bit like the many strains of the human influenza virus, the annual vaccine covers one or two of the many strains one could succumb to. Your Dr is the best source for more information there. :D

ok, so i understand he needs a C3 now and then not required for 3 years, but i think i'm more confused on whether to go for the KC or not. At such a small cost, approx $20, it seems silly not to do it... however if there is any adverse health reasons not to do it, then i won't. Even if there is no benefit in administering it, is there any harm in doing it?

The cost to give it may be small but the cost for any adverse reaction may not be. Or the fact that your dog may or may not end up being protected anyway.

You have to make the decision either way and then just be happy with it, regardless of what other people think. :D

It comes down to vaccinated or not your dog has the same rist as any other of contracting kennel cough. From your local park to your best friends dog. I dont think that it even makes syptoms better either... A 4 year old poodle client of mine cancelled her appointment last week bacuse they got kennel cough down the beach house with all the other dogs and she on anitbiotics cause its really bad. She is vaccinated regularily. I have a 4year old goldie and a 3 and a half year old standard poodle that have never been vaccinated and they are in my grooming salon wiht me everyday and have never had kennel cough.

INHO from my own experince dont do it... kennel cough cant kill your dog its like a flu and they are at asmuch risk if they are or arent vaccinated. if you need to board your dog then get it done because you have to but otherwise there is no point.

I'm repeating what numerous different vets have told me about the KC vaccine over the last 8 years or so. I have no reason not to believe them, they have all been good vets and I have entrusted my dogs and foster dogs lives with them. I think from memory there are 38 strains and the vaccination only covers two.

I guess it's a bit like the many strains of the human influenza virus, the annual vaccine covers one or two of the many strains one could succumb to. Your Dr is the best source for more information there. :D

I wasn't disputing it. I was asking for a reference is all.

I believe that most people misinterpret the infomration given by Vets.

Dogs are vaccinated against bordetella. Bordetella is 1 factor in kennel cough and it is bacteria based. Dogs are vaccinated against this and the vaccine will either prevent this dog developing the infectiom, or it will lessen the symptoms of bordatella in an inefected dog. Most dogs who develop kennel cough also are infected with several other things that make up 'kennel cough', and these are viruses. These viruses may also include parainfluenza. We also vaccinate against parainfluenza.

As for 'strains' and the fact that there is defined number and a defined number that the vaccine protects agains I am not so sure.

Hopefully someone who has knowledge, like Rappie, can explain it all because it is very confusing.

I wasn't disputing it. I was asking for a reference is all.

I believe that most people misinterpret the infomration given by Vets.

Dogs are vaccinated against bordetella. Bordetella is 1 factor in kennel cough and it is bacteria based. Dogs are vaccinated against this and the vaccine will either prevent this dog developing the infectiom, or it will lessen the symptoms of bordatella in an inefected dog. Most dogs who develop kennel cough also are infected with several other things that make up 'kennel cough', and these are viruses. These viruses may also include parainfluenza. We also vaccinate against parainfluenza.

As for 'strains' and the fact that there is defined number and a defined number that the vaccine protects agains I am not so sure.

Hopefully someone who has knowledge, like Rappie, can explain it all because it is very confusing.

This is from the 5 Minute Consult -

CAUSES:

Viral - Canine distemper virus, canine adenovirus 1 & 2, canine parainfluenza, canine reovirus 1,2 or 3 and canine herpesvirus. All of them are implicated in the damage to the respiratory epithelium resulting in the cough, however CAV 2 and CPI may damage it to the extent that various bacteria and Mycoplasma spp may invade causing severe airway disease.

Bacterial - Bordetella bronchiseptica - with no other respiratory pathogens produces clinical signs indistinguishable from those of other bacterial causes; Pseudomonas, Escherichia coli, Klebsiella, Pasteurella, Streptococcus, Mycosplasma, and other species equally likely.

So, there alone are a number of causes mentioned, not all of which we vacc against. So for those who were vaccinated and still contracted KC, its possibly they contracted one of the above mentioned that we don't vacc against.

CPI and Bordetella Bronchiseptica are apparently the principle agents involved.

Bordetella was and probably still is, believed to be a secondary factor involved in KC that can make the dogs very unwell, eg fever, feeling sick etc, so by vaccinating against this, you're potentially reducing the chances of your dog getting the severe symptoms.

Also, the majority of the vaccines we use, do NOT stop the viruses from entering the body and multiplying.

What happens is, after they've entered the body and mutliplied, the immune system then mounts a response to eliminate them, not allowing the disease to progress. This can explain why some animals can still come down with the disease and show symptoms, because the virus is in the body and for whatever reason, their immune system just didn't mount a strong enough response, so the virus was able to progress.

Edited by stormie

Guest belgian.blue

I won't be vacc my two again for KC, unless they are going into a boarding kennel.

Ivy (vacc for KC less than a year previous) had KC about 18 months ago because I was taking her a dog park and she drank out of a water bowl. I don't allow her to share water anymore. I take my own water and bowl.

My two only go off lead at the dog beach as I see that the sand is always being covered by sea salt so it clean of all dog germs. Plus it is always free of dog poop. Plus stupid people tend not to leave food scraps at the beach, they do at the park :confused:

Badger is due for his 12 monthly booster next year and won't be getting done for KC. Then three yearly for my two, with no KC.