The Dog Smell

Brennan's Mum

Hi Brennan's Mum

What you are doing isss great but what a lot of people tend to forget is that dogs brush against walls. So every 3 months I get very brave and use Sugar Soap (available in Coles or Woolworths or Bunnings) to wash the walls down with. I only wash from about waist high down as I have GSD's and this helps eliminate the last of the smells.

I also wipe down the front of all the wooden furniture the dogs walk past as well.

Hoe this additional tip works for you.

Cheers

lol same here for the washing bit of the walls but I wash all mine as I cant seem to stop once I start. FH you know what is the best thing to wash the walls with The orange homebrand woolies spray cleaner costs 1.98 spray on wipe off with a damp rag makes spotless walls, but I will add that is the only thing it is good for.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Um, honestly, and it's just my opinion, but anyone who comes into your house and criticises how it smells needs a kick in the arse.

I have my cats and I won't burn oils, or scented candles, or use air fresheners in this house - cats' systems aren't good at eliminating toxins and pollutants, like humans, and even dogs, are. Burning essential oils and using strongly scented air fresheners in small spaces can cause health problems in cats so I just don't do it.

If I want the place to smell good, I cook - master stock on the boil for instance, or ground coffee and fresh bread. Otherwise I open the windows to air the place, keep the litter trays clean, and wash the dog's bed (canvas trampoline bed) once a week, and put a fresh towel on his bed every three or four days. Anyone who came into my house and said 'ooo this place smells of [whatever]' wouldn't be getting an invitation back.

make that x3!!! As far as we are concerned "mum" says it's "our" house & our visitors are same as us!! Our 2 legged rude friends not allowed here. :laugh: :p :)

:D

Yep - house vacuumed and mopped, floor mats washed, all pet bedding washed.

Pathways hosed/swept.

Clothes washed.

DOG washed. :rofl:

Owner washed.

Washed dog still smells dog.

:) Clean dog still smells better than dirty dog.

So..................if your house smells of dirty dog. ;)

But clean dog is ok. :D :D

Some breeds and some individual dogs do have a stronger smell than others.

I know of a lady who used to breed German Shepherds and now breeds Huskys and is happy that the Huskys don't smell strong like GSD do. She didn't change because of the smell mind you, it was just a pleasent bonus!

My GSD has a strong smell and bathing him makes no difference whereas brushing him daily helps a hell of a lot more, must be airating his coat??

Of my two Cavalier girls one hardly smells 'doggy' at all and needs bathing far less often than the younger, which also happens to have a heavier coat, which could have something to do with it.

I have a friend who swears that Grey horses smell stronger and different to other colours?? :D

I knew a fellow who had lost his sense of smell in an accident and he had two GSD's in his workshop/office. It reeked because he did nothing at all to prevent a bad smell and had heaps of 'fur bunnies' all over the place when the two dogs moulted. It wasn't good for his business and when he was made aware of it he cleaned up and left the dogs at home.

I think the lengths you have gone to sound more than adequate.

True about breeds, my Stafford has more odour than my Toller, he's hardly ever bathed and people cuddle him and remark he doesn't smell.

Non-doggy people will always notice the different odour. Same as I know when I enter a house where they never open windows, or where there are smokers!!

Often when people are feeding cheap food you can tell, the smell comes out in the coat/skin if it's not being nourished.

I think a good quality vacuum makes all the difference, I think it smells a lot less in my house since the Dyson/Miele Cat n Dog.

I knew a fellow who had lost his sense of smell in an accident and he had two GSD's in his workshop/office. It reeked because he did nothing at all to prevent a bad smell and had heaps of 'fur bunnies' all over the place when the two dogs moulted. It wasn't good for his business and when he was made aware of it he cleaned up and left the dogs at home.

I think the lengths you have gone to sound more than adequate.

I have no sense of smell and worry about this a lot. According to a friend the house has no obvious doggy smell (though she also has an inside dog so perhaps desensitised). I might wash the walls before the 'dogs belong outside' relatives arrive for Christmas.

For the same reason, I can't offer any advice as I have no idea if what I do even works :)

I don't want my house to smell like dog, it's not a pleasant smell even for dog lovers.

Keep the dog bedding clean by weekly washes and OOST or Glen 20 Fabrics like Sofas and Curtins if things are really bad or invest in a steam cleaner to avoid chemicals.

If you have Carpets hire the Carpet cleaner from Woolies every 3 months.

Those are my tips.

Ooh I dream of a dyson.

Well yesterday we had a cleaning day here. We washed the floors, dusted and wiped the furniture ( including the couches), washed the bedding.

Got the candles, the windows open, the various air fresheners. Have also washed their food bowls too.

All the windows are open all the time ( one of the benefits in living in a Queenslander home).

Just trying to keep on top of the sweeping up hair on a daily basis now.

I use Four Paws Industrial Strength Stain & Odor Remover, as it's available easily for me at work. Expensive at around $19 a bottle, but it's very concentrated.

I use it for spot cleaning, urine patches, and use it for general floor cleaning/mopping too. Hired a carpet cleaning machiney once and whacked some in there too. Use in rinse cycle for really manky dog bedding.

One friend comments playfully on how my house "always smells of DOG". I tell her I'll remember that when she has a house and I can tell her how much it smells like children/farts/whatever :cry:

People in general don't comment, as they know our pets are our family. If they do, they're told the same thing they're told if they have a problem with the pets saying hello to them: Don't like it, don't come in!

post-14358-1289174523_thumb.jpg