The Reason Why You Cant

Dee_al

i have and never will have any intention on howing my blue stafford pup and my OH asked me why. I said to him that because you cant show them. He asked me why and i had no real reason for him! i said i think its coz blue isnt a solid colour, to which he replied but he is though (which is true, he is solid blue with only white on hes chest, no brindle whatsoever), what is the real reason? So i can stop loking like an idiot lol.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a nutshell...blues CAN be shown. BUT...and this is a HUGE but!!!

They do not fit the standard because the standard calls specifically for a black nose and genetically, being a dilute (or double recessive as some people know them), they cannot have a black nose.

On blues, a black "looking" nose is called slate. And this still isn't black.

You can show whatever you like. But just don't expect to win much under judges who know the standard.

The skin issues are a result of the dilute genes. They are not part of the breed standard and are "technically" nothing to do with the reason why blues do not do well in the show ring and should not be shown.

There is also the matter that ideally you want good specimens in the show ring and sadly, there are very few very GOOD, and TYPICAL Staffords that come in the blue colouration. Sad but very true. Open to debate of course, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find many true Stafford people who disagree.

He is really cute though......really cute. And this is coming from a dedicated non-staffy person. Love my working dogs, but I could steal his little dude and bring him home easily enough. Just gotta wait til Dee_al turns her back and he's mine.

But sadly, cute is just cute. Cute doesn't make a dog a good specimen of a breed....any breed.

I've seen cute "oodles" and I've bred "cute" Staffords, but it doesn't mean I want to see them in the show ring any time soon! :laugh:

i have and never will have any intention on howing my blue stafford pup and my OH asked me why. I said to him that because you cant show them. He asked me why and i had no real reason for him! i said i think its coz blue isnt a solid colour, to which he replied but he is though (which is true, he is solid blue with only white on hes chest, no brindle whatsoever), what is the real reason? So i can stop loking like an idiot lol.

The only reason you can't show ANY dog is if it is not on main register. Who told you that you couldn't show your dog????? What would being a solid colour have to do with anything - you can show brindle Staffords and pied ones do pretty well, brindle is even in the breed standard :laugh:

As Ellz has already said. Blues can't have a black nose but honestly there's plenty of dogs with much more serious faults than this that win week after week. IF I had a blue which was a good example of the breed I would show it. I have seen three blues which I would consider show quality - 2 in the UK and one in Australia so I don't fancy your chances of having stumbled across one! None of these dogs was bred or kept because it was blue.

You can show black and tan Staffords if you want to, I have seen a liver win a CC at a large show under a so-called terrier expert and another become a champion (in weak competition admittedly). The Staffordshire Bull Terrier standard doesn't have any disqualifications, so there is no reason you can't show any dog. Whether you'd win or not is a totally different story.

Also, just so you know, there is no such thing as a solid black or solid blue stafford. Even ones that LOOK solid are genetically brindle. :laugh:

Oh yeah, ive been told that before, but i cant find any brindle on him whatsoever, not that it would make any difference if there was, i love him for who he is, not hes breed or colour.

He is really cute though......really cute. And this is coming from a dedicated non-staffy person. Love my working dogs, but I could steal his little dude and bring him home easily enough. Just gotta wait til Dee_al turns her back and he's mine.

lol you could prob steal him pretty easily atm, hes being a bit naughty as of late....

Also, just so you know, there is no such thing as a solid black or solid blue stafford. Even ones that LOOK solid are genetically brindle. :laugh:

Oh yeah, ive been told that before, but i cant find any brindle on him whatsoever, not that it would make any difference if there was, i love him for who he is, not hes breed or colour.

Doesn't matter if you can't see it....genetically it's still there! :laugh:

The only reason you can't show ANY dog is if it is not on main register. Who told you that you couldn't show your dog????? What would being a solid colour have to do with anything - you can show brindle Staffords and pied ones do pretty well, brindle is even in the breed standard :laugh:

As Ellz has already said. Blues can't have a black nose but honestly there's plenty of dogs with much more serious faults than this that win week after week. IF I had a blue which was a good example of the breed I would show it. I have seen three blues which I would consider show quality - 2 in the UK and one in Australia so I don't fancy your chances of having stumbled across one! None of these dogs was bred or kept because it was blue.

You can show black and tan Staffords if you want to, I have seen a liver win a CC at a large show under a so-called terrier expert and another become a champion (in weak competition admittedly). The Staffordshire Bull Terrier standard doesn't have any disqualifications, so there is no reason you can't show any dog. Whether you'd win or not is a totally different story.

hes registered on main reg. Lol honestly i couldnt tell you of he was a good example of the breed or not, until we bought Jaxson i wasnt ever a fan of Staffords, so i have no idea what is a good or bad example.

Doesn't matter if you can't see it....genetically it's still there! :laugh:

yeah, nah i know, apparently its genetically there in OH's red stafford too, but ive got no idea lol.